Umarex 400-700$ range pcp

I'm still new to pcp. I have a umarex gauntlet. 25 with a 22000psi regulator large bottle shooting jsb heavy. So about 57fpe. We have a big groundhog problem, plus a pcp problem. They are definitely getting more sensitive it's hard get out of the house a get a shot off fast enough. The other problem is my pcp won't drop the big ones fast enough they will run far enough to get under something and yea. It drops the smaller one easy. So I'm in the market for a new pcp but something good possibly a semi auto with around the same power or more, or something just a little lighter that's around 100fte? I was looking at the aea sf 30. but a deap search on the internet I'm not to sure on reliability.

I think you are looking for the Unicorn Gun. Out of the box 100FPE guns are only recently available and they are high-end guns like an Impact, panthera or Dynamic typically costing $2000 plus, finding one for $700 is a tall order.

Tuned to 57FPE, I suspect your Gauntlet is loud, so the ground hogs know when you've taken your first shot. Plus, max power usually sacrifices accuracy. Might want to consider tuning it down to get better accuracy and getting a moderator to quiet the bark. If they can't hear it, they can't take evasive action.

More accurate shot placement will at least in my opinion, do more than higher power. Placement with airguns is usually more important than raw power. Tuning down usually gives better consistency and grouping.

Just my opinion.

If you like you G2 you could always pick it up in 30 cal. I believe that will do close to 100 fpe for 500 bucks. However you don’t need 100 fpe to kill a chuck. You could tune the g2 30 down to 75-80 with a 44.75 and stop them where they sit with a well placed head shot. That is about the only way you will keep them from running off at least a little ways.

Reactions: PumaCarl
correctly placed head shots are a must with groundhogs,
no matter the caliber IMO

my impact compact .25 is throwing 34gn jsb king heavy at 870fps,
so right around the same fpe as your gauntlet,
and it has no problem anchoring groundhogs way way out there....

BUT!

only if i hold for wind correctly and make a good shot,
even if i had 400fpe,
if i make a less than perfect hit they certainly can/will/do run off.

which is why i asked about your group size at the distances you are shooting.

I'm still new to pcp. I have a umarex gauntlet. 25 with a 22000psi regulator large bottle shooting jsb heavy. So about 57fpe. We have a big groundhog problem, plus a pcp problem. They are definitely getting more sensitive it's hard get out of the house a get a shot off fast enough. The other problem is my pcp won't drop the big ones fast enough they will run far enough to get under something and yea. It drops the smaller one easy. So I'm in the market for a new pcp but something good possibly a semi auto with around the same power or more, or something just a little lighter that's around 100fte? I was looking at the aea sf 30. but a deap search on the internet I'm not to sure on reliability.
Oldie but goodie BSA .25 60 YARDS

IMAG0115 (1) (640x416) (200x130).jpg

IMAG0116 (640x416) (200x130) (1).jpg

I think you are looking for the Unicorn Gun. Out of the box 100FPE guns are only recently available and they are high-end guns like an Impact, panthera or Dynamic typically costing $2000 plus, finding one for $700 is a tall order.

Tuned to 57FPE, I suspect your Gauntlet is loud, so the ground hogs know when you've taken your first shot. Plus, max power usually sacrifices accuracy. Might want to consider tuning it down to get better accuracy and getting a moderator to quiet the bark. If they can't hear it, they can't take evasive action.

More accurate shot placement will at least in my opinion, do more than higher power. Placement with airguns is usually more important than raw power. Tuning down usually gives better consistency and grouping.

Just my opinion.
Actually it's quiet if not stock sound level I believe its a under when I ordered the 22000psi regulator I also changed the cone in the end of the shroud to a stack of cones made a huge difference. At some point my scope did get off but it's fixed now shoots very accurate. I usually have to hit them in tight spaces and free hand. The gun very heavily with the big tank probably should be a bench gun

correctly placed head shots are a must with groundhogs,
no matter the caliber IMO

my impact compact .25 is throwing 34gn jsb king heavy at 870fps,
so right around the same fpe as your gauntlet,
and it has no problem anchoring groundhogs way way out there....

BUT!

only if i hold for wind correctly and make a good shot,
even if i had 400fpe,
if i make a less than perfect hit they certainly can/will/do run off.

which is why i asked about your group size at the distances you are shooting.
20230801_182519.jpg
this is about 40yards when I was adjusting my scope (I couldn't find my targets)

If you like you G2 you could always pick it up in 30 cal. I believe that will do close to 100 fpe for 500 bucks. However you don’t need 100 fpe to kill a chuck. You could tune the g2 30 down to 75-80 with a 44.75 and stop them where they sit with a well placed head shot. That is about the only way you will keep them from running off at least a little ways.
I was looking at the g2 . When I was looking through airgun reviews. I noticed how easy the action looked my gontlet is hard like I used to have to put it on my knee just to chamber a pellet. A few people have been too weak to do it. I guess I was seeing with a little more money could I find something nicer

Reactions: Trucker3573
In that price range you can build a 25cal Avenger with a lot of power, or check out an AEA Challenger Bullpup in either 25/30cal. We get easy golfball size groups at 55yards with mine. But pretty much any power house pcp in that price range is going to a budget option that might not be as finely fitted as some want. Might want to try light slugs too if you can get a hold of some.

Actually it's quiet if not stock sound level I believe its a under when I ordered the 22000psi regulator I also changed the cone in the end of the shroud to a stack of cones made a huge difference. At some point my scope did get off but it's fixed now shoots very accurate. I usually have to hit them in tight spaces and free hand. The gun very heavily with the big tank probably should be a bench gun
I guess the next question is, what do you consider quiet? I have an Avenger, .22 that's tuned down to 26 or so FPE and it's over 110db. I guarantee you, if I was using that one, the hogs would hear it a long way off. Muzzling it with a small moderator knocks the sound down to sub-90db which is a massive difference. I'm doing some experiments to see how quiet I can get it, but for now, about 90 is as quiet as it'll go.

If the gun is accurate, quiet and generally consistent, not sure what to say. It has more than enough power, just take those head shots to drop them. Good luck!!!

I guess the next question is, what do you consider quiet? I have an Avenger, .22 that's tuned down to 26 or so FPE and it's over 110db. I guarantee you, if I was using that one, the hogs would hear it a long way off. Muzzling it with a small moderator knocks the sound down to sub-90db which is a massive difference. I'm doing some experiments to see how quiet I can get it, but for now, about 90 is as quiet as it'll go.

If the gun is accurate, quiet and generally consistent, not sure what to say. It has more than enough power, just take those head shots to drop them. Good luck!!!
What ever I hit including a grandhog makes more sound then the actual shot

20230820_182818.jpg