• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

4-H Junior FT attempt a flop

Reached out to the state level 4-H club to invite them to a FT match and explore FT as an activity. I found out that reactive targets, including knockdown are not allowed in 4-H, thus my hope of 4-H junior FT is a no-go. Super bummed out, was hoping we could incorporate FT somehow with the local 4-H shooting sports and get a youth division going. My son wants to shoot FT and would be fun for him to compete against other kids eventually. I remember shooting bb guns and springers as a kid in 4-H so it was fairly logical thinking. The 4-H director was super nice about it and would have considered FT if not for the rule, so can’t blame him. I guess there must have been something that happened to instigate the rule, just hope no-one was hurt.

So….Any clubs out there with a youth program or junior division? If so, any suggestions for starting one? Probably a pipe dream having a junior division, but its for my kid so its worth the effort, even if it doesnt fly.

SqrlHntr,
Good of you to try and help out the kids. Sorry it didn't work out.
Around here, 4-H has trap and skeet(using a shotgun to break flying clay targets) programs. I would think that would be a "reactive target", but maybe not. Perhaps they don't like FT targets that depict animals, idk. It's a strange world we live in.

SqrlHntr,
Good of you to try and help out the kids. Sorry it didn't work out.
Around here, 4-H has trap and skeet(using a shotgun to break flying clay targets) programs. I would think that would be a "

Thats exactly what figured too since the 4H where I grew up had trap and skeet as well and theres even hunting classes here in TX.
Makes zero sense. Heres the documents, they shoot airguns, just at paper.

There must have been a reason for the rule, maybe a close call was all it took. Guess I should count blessings, he gets to grow up with access to a great FT club and some great shooters and sportsman to learn from.