3d printing parts?

hey fellas. are any of you guys 3d printing parts? if so what software are you using to 3d model? I have a decent amount of knowledge on 3d design and printing (not to brag but I was team co-captain of a worldwide robotics competition team 🤓) I recently moved over to Mac and now I have no idea of what software is any good. im looking to start 3d printing parts for my airforce talonP but I can't tackle that project until I clear this obstacle. oh and if any moderators are seeing this, please don't delete this, I know its not exactly airgun related but it kinda is :)

Reactions: heavy-impact
Tinkercad is kinda basic web based part of Autodesk.

Fusion 360 is the best imo and gives you a free license if you're not using it for business.
Just remember the part has to be designed to be printable.

Bambu Lab X1 Carbon combo is the best machine on the market right now and prints everything fast and very well. https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/x1-carbon-combo Use their slicer if you get one.

I think this video pretty much sums it all up regarding software use... Remember what he said, any software is good for as long as you know what you're doing! I personally even use Blender and an really old version of the 3Ds Max for 3D printing applications - these are generally NOT the right tools for proper CAD projects that involve dimensioning objects to proper measurements or precise parts, but I use them anyway, because why not... I always get accurate prints out of them though!

I would bet against using FUSION 360', if you're in a country where 3D printing gun parts (even toys - yes, I'm looking at you Canada/Commnada) is illegal and you suspect that you're being under surveillance, because Fusion stores thing in the cloud as well. Some influential people in the 3D printing industry have once pointed that out, by the way...

I am currently training for "to-be-retired soon" :) from a long decades of mechanical design engineering career, so the higher industrial platform CAD software is pretty much in my blood.
Second, in contrast to popular FDM 3d printers I am printing my parts from resin, I replaced two printers so far and currently working with LCD SLA technology. Much more post processing and could be messy, but much better precision. The roughest parts I made were 50 microns, but usually I am doing my pieces in 30 microns xyz.
Now the software for processing. I tried several and Lychee is so far a most promising, but occasionally I pre-proces the pixels with UV-Tools.

Reactions: TYLERHASKINS2
Tinkercad is kinda basic web based part of Autodesk.

Fusion 360 is the best imo and gives you a free license if you're not using it for business.
Just remember the part has to be designed to be printable.

Bambu Lab X1 Carbon combo is the best machine on the market right now and prints everything fast and very well. https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/x1-carbon-combo Use their slicer if you get one.
I loved fusion 360, back in school we were using inventor pro but considering that cost like 2k a year...yeah no thanks. I have been using fusion 360 but I keep experiencing a very strange and horrid bug with the software. I might go back to it tho.

I think this video pretty much sums it all up regarding software use... Remember what he said, any software is good for as long as you know what you're doing! I personally even use Blender and an really old version of the 3Ds Max for 3D printing applications - these are generally NOT the right tools for proper CAD projects that involve dimensioning objects to proper measurements or precise parts, but I use them anyway, because why not... I always get accurate prints out of them though!

I would bet against using FUSION 360', if you're in a country where 3D printing gun parts (even toys - yes, I'm looking at you Canada/Commnada) is illegal and you suspect that you're being under surveillance, because Fusion stores thing in the cloud as well. Some influential people in the 3D printing industry have once pointed that out, by the way...
fortunately im located in Michigan, not much better than Canada but its slightly better for that kind of stuff :)

Reactions: Triglav
I still use the solid modeler in my 24 year old version of AuoCAD 2000. It does not do some of the more advanced surfacing, spiral extrusions, and blending. Otherwise it works good for creating solid models and generating stl files.

BricsCAD is a close clone of the old AutoCAD 2D/3D program. You can get a free 30 day trial. After 30 days, you are allowed to continue using the BricsCAD Shape portion. It has the basic 2D layout functions and full 3D solid modeler.

And since you said, “I recently moved over to Mac…”

Last edited:
Have you looked at orca slicer? Its based off bambu studio and its interface is pretty much the same but it adds more features that bambu studio doesnt offer. I have been using it for about 2 weeks now instead of bambu studio for my X1- Carbon.

For the OP I use fusion 360 for my cad program. I agree with heavy-impact the Bambu labs X1 - Carbon is a solid machine. I have printed more things with this printer than my creality ender 3 s1 pro. Night and day difference between the two in print quality and speed. Not a single failure with the Bambu X1 - carbon so far.

I still use the solid modeler in my 24 year old version of AuoCAD 2000. It does not do some of the more advanced surfacing, spiral extrusions, and blending. Otherwise it works good for creating solid models and generating stl files.

BricsCAD is a close clone of the old AutoCAD 2D/3D program. You can get a free 30 day trial. After 30 days, you are allowed to continue using the BricsCAD Shape portion. It has the basic 2D layout functions and full 3D solid modeler.

And since you said, “I recently moved over to Mac…”

I will be looking into that, thank you! :)

Have you looked at orca slicer? Its based off bambu studio and its interface is pretty much the same but it adds more features that bambu studio doesnt offer. I have been using it for about 2 weeks now instead of bambu studio for my X1- Carbon.

For the OP I use fusion 360 for my cad program. I agree with heavy-impact the Bambu labs X1 - Carbon is a solid machine. I have printed more things with this printer than my creality ender 3 s1 pro. Night and day difference between the two in print quality and speed. Not a single failure with the Bambu X1 - carbon so far.
unfortunately I think the Bambu X1 - carbon is out of my price range at this time, maybe in the future tho. I used to have a cheap Chinese printer that I slightly modded and got it going pretty dang good, horrible printer tho in the end. ill probably get a "Cheap" printer soon and if I think it'll be a worthwhile investment for me, ill probably upgrade to the x1

Reactions: LDP
unfortunately I think the Bambu X1 - carbon is out of my price range at this time, maybe in the future tho. I used to have a cheap Chinese printer that I slightly modded and got it going pretty dang good, horrible printer tho in the end. ill probably get a "Cheap" printer soon and if I think it'll be a worthwhile investment for me, ill probably upgrade to the x1
f you've ever tried printing with PETG you'll know what a pain it can be. The X1 carbon prints PETG parts that almost look injection molded they're so good. It also prints carbon fiber nylon really well for super strong parts.
The Bambu Lab P1P is the next best thing at $600 Does everything the X1 carbon does except the really high temp materials. The difference over cheap printers is night and day. https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/p1p

Last edited:
I use Rhino3D mostly. Only use bambulabs x1c's since half a year. Nothing beats that for under 2000 per machine.
PETG, ASa or carbonprints are just fenomenal.
For example this Carbonfiber PETG silencer is 165x40mm and weighs only 78 grams. Just as quiet as my donny Ronin that weighs 300 grams..
I use them on my Panthera's and king.

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-09 at 13.25.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.03.56.jpeg
111.png

Last edited:
f you've ever tried printing with PETG you'll know what a pain it can be. The X1 carbon prints PETG parts that almost look injection molded they're so good. It also prints carbon fiber nylon really well for super strong parts.
The Bambu Lab P1P is the next best thing at $600 Does everything the X1 carbon does except the really high temp materials. The difference over cheap printers is night and day. https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/p1p
the p1p is definitely a possibility. I really appreciate your info here

I use Rhino3D mostly. Only use bambulabs x1c's since half a year. Nothing beats that for under 2000 per machine.
PETG, ASa or carbonprints are just fenomenal.
For example this Carbonfiber PETG silencer is 165x40mm and weighs only 78 grams. Just as quiet as my donny Ronin that weighs 300 grams..
I use them on my Panthera's and king.

View attachment 437078

View attachment 437079

View attachment 437080View attachment 437081
that's one heck of a setup right there, and that print quality is absolutely insane!

that's one heck of a setup right there, and that print quality is absolutely insane!
The machine and software do a lot for you that other brands don't do. The machine can calibrate itself in every way, clean the nozzle and you can watch the print on your phone. Bambu lab has done so much to simplify the process they're a joy to use compared to others. Even a first time user can have perfect prints. Swapping parts is cheap, fast and easy also. Instead of swapping nozzles for a different size you swap the head. I hate to promote a chinese company but bambu lab the one to have.