?

CHUCK I call that some bad OCD & I'm following in your foot steps. My wife caught me in her laundry room washing & lubing 7500 pellets when I got into this addiction. She said I was NUTS & if I had that much time on my hands she could make me up another HUUUNEEEE DOOO LIST ! . I told her about sizeing & weighing, she told me if she caught me doing anything else with those pellets she was going to take me to the doctor ! (LOL). Now that I have a very accurate cricket carbine I'm giving it second thoughts. And she nicknamed me years ago (OCD). Merry Xmas Darell

Well said, Chuck. I would add that in addition to the small weight variance you noted that you might see some small head size variance within a given weight range as well. And then maybe some pellets have small bits of lead off center in the skirts. Combine those things and you could well see fliers. And as you note, it is maddening when it happens. I'd rather shoot than do such work myself. But if such work helps make shooting more consistent and I didn't view it as an arduous task then it would be worthwhile to those focused on such. If anyone would rather just shoot then by all means do so.

Sanity may be in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I do think it's nuts to sort pellets; at least to such extremes. I certainly don't have the patience for it, preferring to invest the time and effort in actual shooting. That said, I've found .50 - .60" average group-size capabilities good enough to prevail in top-level field-target competitions (in Hunter PCP). These state and national titles were captured with pellets straight out of the tins; no sorting, washing, weighing or measuring.

1544387117_1412239985c0d7a2da64c47.09964820_Champion trophies.jpg

So my question is, am I nuts to accumulate so many trophies... yet it's never enough? Which begs another question. Would there be more trophies if I did sort pellets?

I think head sizing is more important than sorting much by weight. I discovered that my RWS .22 springers all prefer a .218 pellet. I ordered a couple of dozen tins of JSBs that were a bit larger than that and now size all my pellets. I think there is a thread somewhere about that experience ...

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-d48-is-happy-she-has-found-her-favorite-food/

and some bitbucket problems with the below thread BUT lots of good info from Ed.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/sorting-pellets-by-head-size/

Chuck i dont do competitive shooting. I only compete against friends or myself so i would not do all that work. If i miss, i shoot again til i hit it. After showing all that work you did i only wanted to see YOUR different groups to see how much of a difference it makes. I guess by your answer to me it will forever remain a mystery. lol