• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

?

Awesome Tip Chuck-thank you! Can you post a photo showing what the flattened thread looks like, or perhaps just clarify for me: you take the ball peen hammer and a small punch, and tap the last thread (to limit how much thread damage it causes) of the nut to flatten it out? I assume you are referring to the thread closest to the muzzle, and not the butt of the gun?

Admittedly I have not taken my son's out yet (someone else did for me), but I have noticed the velocity has started slowly dropping a little bit with time-and I suspected the nut was walking on me...

Sean

What happens when you wreck the inner treads inside the action? Can’t say exactly what is harder brass or aluminium the action is made of.

M16x1 bolts are easy to get, why are you still spinning around the original brass part, just bin it use something longer.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5086

cut it to size or modify it the way you like it, add slot or a nut to it

The hst nut is made out of steel. So, when it is damaged, it will also damage the inner threads of the action, and contaminate the action with metal shavings. If it were my gun, I wouldn't even think of the idea of intentionally damaging a thread to act as a locking device. I am an engineer, and to me this mod. has got little to do with engineering.

I use a drop of loctite 222, and never had a hst nut backing out, even after making small readjustments.

But everybody may do with their guns what they want, that's not for me to decide :)

What happens when you wreck the inner treads inside the action? Can’t say exactly what is harder brass or aluminium the action is made of.

M16x1 bolts are easy to get, why are you still spinning around the original brass part, just bin it use something longer.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5086

cut it to size or modify it the way you like it, add slot or a nut to it

They really aren't "easy" to get, as this one you linked is the ONLY one I have been able to find. $15 (plus shipping) is quite a bit (IMHO) to pay for a bolt.

But the ultimate way to make it work would be to purchase this bolt, shape the head as you want and then drill a cross hole thru the bolt and insert a piece of delrin rod, cutting it off just proud of the threads. This will then act as a "locking" bolt similar to how a nyloc nut works, but opposite.

I did this to fix a knock off Atlas but can't find the pic right now.

I built a new one out of alum only the threads are about 5/16 thick, so not thin like the factory. Then drilled two 1/8 inch holes into the threads at 90 degrees and inserted a 1/8 inch nylon that was cut off even with outer threads. Nylon works as a friction and holds everything in place. Milled a flat spot so it could be adjusted with a reg flat screw driver. Way over kill, but works great. Could of just whacked it with a hammer. sylvan

Another possibility is to grind or saw a small groove in between the thread about half the diameter of the nut.

Then pry it open ever so slightly and let it act as a spring to eliminate the play in the threads, and it will prevent the nut from backing out too.

Then there is way less, if any risk of damaging the thread in the action because the form of the thread will remain intact.

@Chuck, what kind of education someone has doesn't matter, we are all human beings and equal. I like it that you are trying to improve things, and willing to take the time and effort to share it with us. 

Unfortunately, there is also a risk involved that people with less technical skills are also gonna try this mod theirselve, and whack it a bit too hard with a hammer. If they try to force the nut in with a ruined thread, they will also ruin their action.

I don't doubt your technical skills, but what I am trying to say is if you can do it , it doesn't necessarily mean others can do it too. It all depends on the technical knowledge of the guy doing the work. :)

All the best,

Gijs

This problem isn't on all FX guns. My Impact doesn't have this issue. An I doubt the Crown has it either.

Smashing the thread isn't a solution. It's compounding the problem.

If done poorly can cause dammage to your receiver.

I would ask someone with a lathe to make a new nut with an interference fit thread. Or if possible and if there is enough space use an additional nut as a jamb nut behind the first HSN.

Blue loctite or nylon tape on he threads would be a less invasive solution.

This is the number 1 reason why I really don't like buying second guns. You never knw what type of dammage the previous owner has done to the gun.