• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.35 real world experience on deer

Just a heads up but you may want to verify your hunting laws in Virginia (assuming that's where you plan to hunt). The Pyramydair site has it listed as .30 cal or larger but then states it must be a .40 or larger PCP producing a minimum of 400ftlbs. I just saw it in passing so don't know how true it is.

20220724_212803.jpg

Thanks. The 11 pointer was killed with my Will Piatt tuned double tube recluse with a 127 gr slug. The smaller buck was killed with the bulldog. It’s far from stock though. Currently pushing the 145 gr nosler slugs designed for the bulldog at 915 fps for the first two shots then drops each shot after. Mine is very accurate with a few different slugs but the nosler give me complete pass through shots on deer and clover leaf groups out to 125 yards. Upgrading the cocking lever is necessary for big power. The one in the pic broke shortly after they day.

Just noticed you asked distances the deer were shot at. The 11 pointer was about 35-40 yards and the bulldog took the other one around 30-35 yards. One doe I killed was at 80-90 yards and the results were identical to the closer shots. Dead on the ground within 30-45 seconds. The big one didn’t even move when shot. Kicked one leg up when the slug hit then stood there until he ran out of hydraulics and dropped dead.

The constant beating from the firearms industry on how much power is needed for hunting to sell, sell, sell has created a false narrative,........big bores airguns with their relative low power are vastly more effective then the general public knows.
most of the people where I live, have no idea what a pcp rifle is.

Hey guys, Im looking for some real world experience from people who have successfully hunted whitetail with .35 cal, mostly in the 180-200fpe range. Im looking to use my power tuned kalibrgun and nsa 93-110gr slugs. Thanks!!
bro i dont know what the requirements in your state , but it is just my opinion that the amount of force you plan to use may not be enough . i thought like you are thinking at one time. but back bbefore i lost my sight over a decade ago there was this white tail that got shot in the head but when i got to it by running, it freaked me out cause that deer shook its head and was trying to get up and heck if it didnt try to attack me with antlers.
that situation , back then changed how i hunt and it is very important to make sure that if you are going to take that shot, that it is going to be a certain kill. and sometimes even a head shot does not do the job.
so consider heavier projectiles or adjusting the power level you use. yeah i know 100-200fpe will do it most times , but like here in texas the regs for airguns puts it at 227.434 fpe minimum

but do as you will, i am using a AEA challenger .357 standard big bore that puts out minimum 220fpe with those jsb pellets81gr at a velocity my fx chrono wont pick up. so i use heavier stuff like a 147gr hollowpoint slug at 990fps, or a 200gr lead at 820 or better fps, but even though my 125gr rangers will put 320fpe down on my first shot i dont use them cause they pass through way too easy and dont stop in the target.

oh if a deer trys to antler you just grab the antlers pull your skinner and defend yourself right? is that what you are supposed to do in that situation?
i am not explaining what i was forced to do, like i said it changed the way i think about hunting in every aspect.

oh never run up on a deer you think is shot dead without your rifle, nope dont leave it at the stand take it with you.

just trust me k some opportunities for self destruction are not needed.
yes a deer can kick your butt...

Reactions: Hal4son