.35 Air Bolts for the .357 Benjamin Bulldog

Sometimes I wish I had bought a bulldog instead of the airbow so I could shoot slugs as well but the airbow does have the advantage of being regulated, getting 8 shots per fill, and no worry of shredding fetching due to arrows going around the "barrel" rather than in it.

Didn't read every post so not sure if this was mentioned but maybe make sure to twist the fetching so it spins with the rifling instead of against it? Might help with fetching lasting longer I imagine.

Reactions: Scotay42
…Didn't read every post so not sure if this was mentioned but maybe make sure to twist the fetching so it spins with the rifling instead of against it? Might help with fetching lasting longer I imagine.

@Asher Yes, I twist the bolts when loading. I also cleaned the barrel and removed the shroud end-cap. Something in this combination of altered variables stopped the fletching from getting torn up when shot.

Back at it. A decent 3-shot group from 40 yards using field tips.
1F52B7FF-72AC-4DC9-965E-572E234A4F87.jpeg

About to test some broadheads. Or see if I can even shoot them from this shrouded rifle.

So it shoots broadheads. First shot was 430fps producing 153.95 fpe. Bolt went in to the fletching. Don’t know how I’m going to remove this one. I was aiming at the center circle from 40 yards out.
6425F6F6-2271-4924-98C3-76BC91FADA4D.jpeg
The bolt actually passed through the target and was stoped by the wood on the back. To remove this bolt I unscrewed the broadhead, removed the insert, and pushed the bolt shaft from the rear of the target back through the front until I saw an adequate amount of the shaft exposed that I could grab without gripping the fletching. I wiped a little foam residue from the bolt and broadhead before replacing the insert and broadhead back onto the bolt shaft. I’ll have to take @airarcher66’s advice to find and place some square hay bails behind my archery targets to catch pass throughs. I didn’t want to dull my other broadheads on this hard plywood backstop. From what I’ve read, I think that this trocar tip can break bones flying over 400 fps especially the way it dug into the wooden backstop down to the blades on one of my shots.
229D183B-4A3E-4E2F-A5EB-87CCB0125C5E.jpeg

The vanes on the bolts are still holding up well and I can still shoot the bolts with tattered vanes adequately for target practice. The newest bolt show no where near the amount of wear (tears) on the vanes. They got a little dirtier after shooting them more, but did not tatter. The vanes on the bolt shot exclusively with the shroud end-cap removed remain intact even after shooting a bolt that passed through my foam broadhead target block down to the vanes several times.

Reservoir filled to 2900 psi the 1st shot registered 430 fps with a Seneca Air Bolt (375 grains) loaded leaving about 1” of space between nock and valve (see photo below). I opted to rest the base of the broadhead slightly in front of the shroud. I left the broadhead outside of the shroud even though I can rotate them to fit within the shroud because my primary concern is that there isn’t enough room within the shroud for the broadhead to rotate completely without the blades clipping the shroud before exiting.
56AB265A-C7AF-4619-9001-02EA85403915.jpeg

7EF0E653-F62A-4397-A3B0-AF38E38D5515.jpeg

Last edited:
Time to wrap it up for the evening. I may go squirrel hunting. Data from final 4-shot string shot from 40 yards and my chronograph was setup 1-2 yards from the muzzle. I chose to shoot from 40 yards today in order to best position my shooting table in proximity to my chronograph which I tried keep within adequate sunlight for testing purposes.
0E8329EE-8291-414D-94E5-E2A3FB72A80F.jpeg

That’s producing 151-159 fpe according to my chronograph readings. I wouldn’t take more than a maximum of five shots off of a fill to 2900 psi. Four shots is ideal finishing no lower than 2400 psi which leaves enough reservoir pressure to shoot slugs or pellets if needed.

My .357 Benjamin Bulldog shoots .35 Seneca Air Bolts with 100 grain, fixed, 3-blade broadheads for a total bolt weight of 375 grains. I hope I’ve done enough in this thread to demonstrate this fact. After speaking to someone about my results, I feel confident in the ability of this gun, bolt, and broadhead combination to take coyote, wild hogs, and possibly deer within 40 yards. This pack of Sykd Hunt Endurance 100 grain 3-blade trocar tipped broadheads fly similarly to my 100 grain field tipped air bolts. They did appear to hit a few inches higher. I intend to continue shooting within 50 yards with this setup to get more comfortable with my holds at various distances shooting air bolts for hunting purposes. I intend to save a deer tag specifically for this setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
@Ezana4CE FPE is really irrelevant when shooting broadheads,....the type of broadhead if far more important.

Example;
my Hill longbow shooting a 600gr arrow at 170 fps comes out at 39 FPE,....yet it would take down any game in North America
@AirArcher66 I posted the foot pound energy information to give others an idea of the capabilities of this .357 Bulldog/air bolt/broadhead combination in the event that they live in a state that has different hunting regulations. For example, their state’s hunting regs may require that arrowguns (airguns that shoot arrows/bolts) meet the same requirements that regulate hunting game animals with airguns. In Texas we are held to the standard of archery regulations (for the projectiles/air bolts and arrowheads), but CANNOT hunt game animals with arrowguns during archery season and CANNOT hunt deer during Muzzeloader-ONLY deer season with an arrow gun (although a logical argument in attempt to hunt during muzzleloader season can be made considering air bolts/arrows are loaded from the muzzle). Arrowguns appear to be in limbo, but this .357 Benjamin Bulldog is an actual airgun. Since I intend to hunt a large game animal using airbolts and broadheads with this setup, I think it prudent to abide by the arrowgun regulations. In Texas an airgun shooting arrows/bolts or an arrow-gun is NOT defined as archery equipment (but an arrow or bolt is) according to the 2021-2022 state regulations. Then several counties have more specific regulations. In light of the variance in my state’s regulations I figured that someone might need the fpe information for future reference to meet their state’s requirements.

Aside from that, I didn’t know that foot-pound energy was irrelevant when it comes to arrows and bolts. I wanted to provide an adequate amount info here since I’ve complied it. If you or anyone else sees any information that is lacking please let me know. Thank you for all of your advice and guidance throughout this process. I feel a lot more confident moving forward in exploring this aspect of airgunning.

Last edited:
@AirArcher66 I posted the information to give others an idea of the capabilities of this .357 Bulldog/air bolt/broadhead combination in the event that they live in a state that has different hunting regulations. For example their state’s hunting regs may require that arrowguns (airguns that shoot arrows/bolts) the meet the same requirements that regulate hunting game animals with airguns. In Texas we are held to the standard of archery regulations (for the projectiles/air bolts and arrowheads), but CANNOT hunt game animals with arrowguns during archery or CANNOT hunt deer during Muzzeloader-ONLY deer season. In Texas an arrowgun is NOT defined as archery equipment (but an arrow or bolt is) according to the 2021-2022 state regulations. Then several counties have more specific regulations. In light of the variance in my state’s regulations I figured that someone might need the fpe information for future reference.

Aside from that, I didn’t know that foot-pound energy was irrelevant when it comes to arrows and bolts. I wanted to provide an adequate amount info since I’ve complied it. Thank you for all of your advice and guidance throughout this process. I feel a lot more confident moving forward in exploring this aspect of airgunning.
Agree, hunting regulations as a all are pretty sad, here in Hawaii are a mess :ROFLMAO:

WOW ! Major penetration with broadhead. I'd say you could manage a double on decent sized hogs.
@Ricochet I definitely have no doubts there. I told a buddy that I think these trocar tips would have no issues breaking bones. I’ve read that they can be devastating now I have a little more to go on besides what I read. The foam in my Block target doesn’t feel very dense. It’s advertised to stop all types of broadheads. That it does not do. My first shot went straight through. So I don’t know if it’s due to false claims, the velocity of the bolts (which isn’t as fast as some crossbow can shoot), or a good broadhead made for penetration.
2A7DE486-3B41-4AFA-BE71-4C1D73CEBF8C.jpeg

Look at the penetration into the wooden backstop. This is ¼” 3/4” plywood. Imagine a marrow filled bone with a smaller surface area and less density (like a rib) being struck by this broadhead… I had to work and sort of yank that bolt out of the backstop.
1F6A5675-E8D7-413E-BA39-B8CE969AB75C.jpeg

Last edited:
Expensive mistake. This evening I thought it might be a good idea to try taking a few shots at 49 yards around sunset off my bipod to get a better feel for how it might look and feel to shoot in more of a real world type of hunting scenario as opposed to shooting from the table and turret rest.
63A94F47-CCA6-4D10-89DA-D70337F380C9.jpeg
I got mixed results. Here’s my first shot starting at 2800 psi.
2FCAACD3-DEFC-4063-BD0B-6D5A5214B860.jpeg

Not bad right? I’m happy with it considering how new I am to this. Now here’s where things got interesting.

Shooting from around 2700 psi I took my second shot. I shot #2 leaving my first bolt in the target. I tried moving my POA over to the right a little to avoid Robin Hooding my first shot. I heard my second shot hit, but it was tough to see where the second shot hit through my 10x fixed mag scope in dimming sunlight. When I walked to the target I only saw the first bolt which had passed through to the vanes. I have no idea where the second shot hit. I have to search the trees behind my backstop in the morning. Thankfully I’m set up to shoot in a direction where no people or property can be harmed by misses like this.

Temps were around 47-46F. I honestly forgot to even look at the exact temp, but today’s high was 50F. Humidity was probably around 65-75% due to rain yesterday.

But wait it gets better. So I removed my broadhead, pushed and pulled my bolt out of the foam and affixed the broadhead and insert. I walked back to my gun reloaded and took another shot that I rushed trying to beat the loss of useable sunlight and hit right and low. I think I was around 2600 psi. Here’s that shot.

76EE0B5D-C72D-4B56-AE57-1A9BF7D7FED8.jpeg

I retrieved that bolt using the same process. Went and reloaded my rifle. It was at 2500 psi. Now I know that this is iffy territory. I filled the gun to 3000psi with indoor temps around 74F-75F and left it outside for a few hours before shooting. I lost 200 psi from the change in temperature between indoors and outdoors. I took shot number four aiming using a little higher POA, but the same holdover as the first shot. I heard it hit but couldn’t see it through my scope. When I walked to the target, I saw no bolt. I looked in the dirt and grass in front of it with no luck. It’s kind of dark so that was tough. Then when looking at my backstop I saw a piece of fletching sticking out it the plywood. The shot hit low and wide left, completely missing the target by a couple inches. The bolt blew through 1/4” 3/4” plywood. You can see the lines where the blades cut through. They really broke into and sliced through the wood!! Now I’m curious to see how these perform against bone. I’m pretty sure I trashed that bolt, but I still want to recover it and see how it and the broadhead was affected.
8DA22A09-AEE3-4189-8154-8CCF96599FD1.jpeg

These missteps cost me two bolts and broadheads. I’ll have to search for them tomorrow when I have time and adequate light. Something told me to skip shooting this evening and to go pick up some bales of hay. Instead this happened. 😅

Last edited:
  • Wow
This morning I recovered the bolts that I couldn’t see where they hit and passed through my backstop when shooting yesterday evening during sunset. The one I previously thought had missed the backstop completely was the first that I recovered. Apparently it landed just below the one that the fletching tore off of. The wood at the bottom of the plywood backstop is softer from being in contact with the moisture on the ground so the bolt just blew through it without making a distinct shaped hole. I didn’t realize the lower hole was from a bolt. All things considered, the accuracy is there. I did (or didn’t do) something to cause these shots to hit low and left of the target. I probably pulled the shots while shooting kneeling from behind my Primos Trigger Stick bipod and taking quick shots. Both shots are within 2 ¼”- 2 ½”. For a broadhead I believe that’s decent at 49-50 yards away.
93FED371-0687-4EF2-A30E-84FF25EF2EBC.jpeg

93FED371-0687-4EF2-A30E-84FF25EF2EBC.jpeg

The bolt spent the night lodged in the wet soil. I have to clean it up, but the shaft and nock appear to be intact and the nock o-ring stayed put. The vanes are still tattered from my initial test shooting with the Donny FL shroud endcap adapter affixed. I’ll replace them after I attempt to practice re-fletching the bolt that’s already in need of repair. Below is a photo after I pulled it out of the dirt and grass.
8E69DB38-D8EA-4E6D-8428-703B459E300E.jpeg

I bent a blade and the tip was loose. Easy enough to screw back into the tip of the arrowhead. I need to find out if the blades can be replaced.
368F3293-1C5C-4670-8461-3F1241B12619.jpeg

Anyone think that a slightly bent blade makes it a bad broadhead for target practice? Does a bent blade significantly affect flight? I wish I took a photo of where it landed. I was happy to find it and happy to know that no shots went over or around my backstop.

Below you can see the other broadhead that blasted through the solid part of the wood and left a piece of a vane protruding from the hole in the plywood. Found it in dirt and grass behind the backstop. The shaft appears to be intact. I’ll inspect it closer when I clean it up. Below is how I found it . The tip of this broadhead is still sharp to the touch on the tip of my finger.
70E2E73D-A692-478A-875E-BCD4F1F037E9.jpeg

These broadheads are pretty robust. I bent a blade on this one. I think they are clipping the wire on the other side of the plywood after passing through. I have to figure out how to re-fletch this one. The vanes are shot and one ripped completely off of the shaft when passing through the plywood.
CBB068B7-EBAF-4907-8BEB-684282A6E1D2.jpeg

CC2572A3-987C-437C-A9FB-222060082AEB.jpeg

6969AB7C-7F12-46C0-A9D3-35354BF4D154.jpeg

The above blade on the left got nicked, probably on the wire. I’m surprised at how these bolts are holding up. If they can withstand passing through ¾” plywood I think they’ll be good to go through deer bone. I’m confident they destroy pig bones. I’m not familiar with coyote bone density, but I think these broadheads/bolts at the velocities I’ve recorded would be absolute hell on a yote.

Recovering these two bolts and broadheads is like me finding $60 I’d misplaced. Works for me, but even more so I can evaluate their performance after undergoing the stress of impact and such. I imagine I’ll see a somewhat similar result after hitting animal bone. Maybe some experienced archers can chime in with more definite info here. I’m speculating.

And I was mistaken. This plywood looks to be about 3/4” thick, not 1/4”.
9071E6E8-7C6F-45B0-A269-A04698550A12.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Ok so the same thing that happened yesterday occurred again today. First shot from 50 yds kneeling. Aimed at the vitals and hit high on spine. Starting pressure approx 2900psi.
57A9ED70-4BF2-4AAE-9B8C-A7CCA7FDE21C.jpeg

The second shot was from the same distance and position, POA between the letters “O” and “C”. POI was almost off target low and to the left heading in the same direction as the two off target shots from yesterday evening. Starting pressure was approx 2850-2800 psi. After the shot reservoir pressure was 2700 psi.
7CA4EDD2-B4C1-4036-912D-B16958667A6E.jpeg

A6840104-8AC8-4195-A003-939FD354FCA1.jpeg

I’m going to investigate this some more. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Last edited:
After cleaning these Sykd Endurance broadheads, I found that these blades are replaceable. Just unscrew the trocar tip and viola, access to the blades! Now I can take the bad blade(s) off and swap with a good blade(s) from another marred broadhead.

I also found more on sale for $4.99 for a 3-pack on the big Brazilian river site (AMZ) or $9.99 buy-one-get-one-free on the manufacturer’s site. Ordered more after seeing that sale price. I paid $20 for a 3 pack a just before archery season opened and that was on sale down from $29

7A3E9FED-3ED1-4334-8123-3EBD9ED64FE3.jpeg

I think I’ll call it a day and get out this weekend when I have a few hours of good sunlight to further investigate what occurs around 2800 psi. Don’t want to risk destroying another bolt. Hopefully I come across some small bales of heat this weekend for a softer affordable backstop.

Last edited: