.35 Air Bolts for the .357 Benjamin Bulldog

First let me say this….I have no clue what I’m doing with these. I’ve only seen them used on YouTube. I’ve been saying I’m going to grab some for over a year and recently got them. They don’t look like much and I need to grab some broad heads. Do these look sufficient or do I need a different type of airbolt? If I get a rifle to shoot them well, then I’m looking to bag deer and hogs with em. @AirArcher66 I can definitely use your assistance. Figured I’d start a new thread.
EF728256-9A93-48D1-A4B7-5ED7E5F4C178.jpeg

I think the first thing I need to do is get to the archery shop and grab a suitable target to practice shooting. I plan to place the target in front of some hay and hope like hell to not make a stupid shot through the side of the barn. On second thought I may have to use an earthen embankment as a backstop. Or is it really worth all the trouble to build a backstop just for airbolts? What do y’all think?

Last edited:
@ScottEnglish I’ll try to keep this thread posted with my findings. I got some good info in another thread, but didn’t want to continue derailing that thread. It was pertaining to .457 airbolts. I’ll be sure to set up a chronograph as well. Seneca rifles seem to do well from what I’ve seen on YouTube, but I’ve also seen videos of the Bulldog shooting them. Now I want to see for myself.

Yup these are the ones you want, the 28" barrel on the Bulldog might be a bit to long to get the full potential from the bolts but shouldn' be to bad.

Trust me it will be fun figuring out the right backstop, make sure you don't destroy to many arrows in the process 😄

I highly reccomend building one like I described in the other threads and replace the field points with eithr 100gr or 125gr steel blunts.

@AirArcher66 Any thoughts on these broadheads? I could use some feedback.

I like these. They come in 100 and 125 grain.
Which would put me at 375-400 grains total.

@AirArcher66 I was looking at them in hopes of find a broadhead that allowed the bolt to drop further down into the shroud so that the nock sits closer to the valve TP. I thought an expandable head might be worth a shot for that reason. The Thorn looks attractive because it appears that the tip extends to set an impact trigger that deploys the blades on the head when depressed upon initial impact. Have you used this sort of broadhead before? If so, what sort of issues have you encountered using them?

Last edited:
@AirArcher66 I was looking at them in hopes of find a broadhead that allowed the bolt to drop further down into the shroud so that the nock sits closer to the TP. I thought an expandable head might be worth a shot for that reason. The Thorn looks attractive because it appears that the tip extends to set an impact trigger that deploys the blades on the head when depressed upon initial impact. Have you used this sort of broadhead before? If so, what sort of issues have you encountered using them?
I quess if you have togo all the way into the shroud that is the only way to go.

I've been into archery for over 2 decades and I have heard/read a ton of reports of failing expandable broadheads,...these heads where developed for compound shooters both to keep the weight down ( the good old chase for speed :ROFLMAO: )
and because of speed they could not shoot the much more efficient classic 2 Blade broadhead.

No I personally would never attempt to shoot game with an expandable head, I take a cut on contact Broadhed with a bit more weight to it anyday ( because of the light speed airguns send arrows out the barrel 2 Blade broadheads are out the question but 3 blade is the way to go )

But that is a moot point if you have a shroud to deal with, then expandable heads is the only way to go.

Reactions: OldSpook
The guns with no shroud and baffles would be the way to go with arrows , probably damage the vanes loading on a baffled gun , I tried some on my shin sung dragon slayer , had to shorten them to get the centering Ferrell to engage the barrel ,guess I used the wrong glue , cause the 1st two shots I lost the insert and Ferrell in my brand new target , still haven't got them out of the target yet .

The guns with no shroud and baffles would be the way to go with arrows , probably damage the vanes loading on a baffled gun , I tried some on my shin sung dragon slayer , had to shorten them to get the centering Ferrell to engage the barrel ,guess I used the wrong glue , cause the 1st two shots I lost the insert and Ferrell in my brand new target , still haven't got them out of the target yet .
Correct, didn't even think about that,......sure cannot get the vanes past the baffels or shroud opening, zero chance.

Correct, didn't even think about that,......sure cannot get the vanes past the baffels or shroud opening, zero chance.

No baffles to worry about on my Bulldog. Shroud length versus the length of the bolt’s shaft is my concern. From what I’ve read I don’t want a lot of space between the transfer port valve and the nock.

Last edited:
I personally would never, ever hunt with an expandable head ( to much risk of failure )

3 blades fixed broadhead like the Wensel Woodsman or the Magnus Snuffer is the way to go in my opinion
Is that for durability? I've used a small diameter replaceable blade head for many years while hunting archery. Have killed a lot of elk with the minimum legal cutting diameter heads. They fly straight and penetrate well. Would a replaceable 3 blade head not hold up at the higher velocities of an air bolt?

@AirArcher66 Any thoughts on these broadheads? I could use some feedback.

I like these. They come in 100 and 125 grain.
Which would put me at 375-400 grains total.
Get some slick trick fixed blades, tough and inexpensive. No need for gimmicks when shooting from air bow or crossbow. Those are for people that cannot tune a regular bow on their own.

Yup these are the ones you want, the 28" barrel on the Bulldog might be a bit to long to get the full potential from the bolts but shouldn' be to bad.

Trust me it will be fun figuring out the right backstop, make sure you don't destroy to many arrows in the process 😄

I highly reccomend building one like I described in the other threads and replace the field points with eithr 100gr or 125gr steel blunts.
@AirArcher66 I did manage to find some 100 grain “bullet” tips and some fixed blade broadheads (100 and 125 grain). I also found a crossbow target bag, not sure how effective it will be.

Last edited:
@AirArchery66 I did manage to find some 100 grain “bullet” tips and some fixed blade broadheads (100 and 125 grain). I also found a crossbow target bag, not sure how effective it will be.
looking forward to read your findings,......just be mentally prepared for how shoking shooting arrows out of a solid PCP is :LOL:

I personally would never, ever hunt with an expandable head ( to much risk of failure )

3 blades fixed broadhead like the Wensel Woodsman or the Magnus Snuffer is the way to go in my opinion
Exactly, they are far exceeding design as far a speed goes. Personally from my own experience they won't open on an animal. I had this happen once on a Russian boar the size of a Volkswagen, never again.