• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce 308 Texan,Any better now?

I had one 5 years back and never got it to group.At the time I had a .50 Texan that was pretty accurate.
The 308 never shot better than 2-3" at 100 yards while the 50 could put 3 under 2" (holding up a bit for shot #3 typically)

I am a bullet caster of 40 years and tried 20 different. 30 mold of various lengths and alloys,so it's not like I didn't try.I didn't try any of the airgun specific designs by NOE though.
I really wanted a 30 to shoot and would like another bullet shooter if they now shoot better.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I really like my 357. This 2 shots at 100.
.6in Ctc. Just 2 shots, i am going for more in a group, but i shoot too random. Lmao. Also did you ever push a slug through a get the right diameter. This one likes .356 and others say theirs like 357 or 358.

20231014_120018.jpg

I really like my 357. This 2 shots at 100.
.6in Ctc. Just 2 shots, i am going for more in a group, but i shoot too random. Lmao. Also did you ever push a slug through a get the right diameter. This one likes .356 and others say theirs like 357 or 358.

View attachment 396804
yes I tried several sizes from .307 to .310.I even used my custom swage die to taper the bullet to fit the leade.
what projectiles are you using in your 35 caliber?

I'd source a high quality custom 308 barrel in the appropriate twist for the lengths of projectiles you plan to use. I state this because often the quality of a mass produced barrel is questionable and when a custom barrel is fit correctly that also helps with precision.

Every firearm I did this to shot better, some way way better, and most of my better shooting airguns as well partly because either a tested barrel was used, or a high quality custom barrel was used, then the gun was tuned.

Otherwise its a lottery so you buy a new gun and might get anything from a great shooting gun to a horrible shooting gun.

I have a funny tale or you could say a not so funny story.
In my youth and in my search for a precise rifle I bought four or so factory stock centerfire varmint rifles, both new and used, in various cartridges, to shoot Prairie Dogs with at long range. I reloaded and worked up loads the best I could but a 1" group at 100Y was hard to get and between all of them I'd say 1.5" was average. I was disgusted because I wasted hundreds of dollars (back then $300 was a weeks wages) by getting half the guns worth in trade value towards the next rifle.
I walked into a gun store in Prescott AZ and I saw a custom 6mmPPC benchrest rifle with many 100Y targets the owner had shot which were one ragged hole and some done at 200Y. It came with brass, dies, load data, and was $600. It was out of my price range so I walked out of the store but called back a few days later to arrange the purchase but the gun was sold already. Man did that mistake cost me over the years!
It was two decades after this until I finally ended up with my first semi custom varmint rifle that was a half inch TACK driver. But I had spent thousands by then chasing my tail with the lottery of regular guns. However I did luck out and at least get a one rifle and a Contender pistol that shot 1" or a hair less though both had aftermarket barrels.

Oh the stories I could tell. It's fun looking back seeing that eventually my goals were met!

Last edited:
I'd source a high quality custom 308 barrel in the appropriate twist for the lengths of projectiles you plan to use. I state this because often the quality of a mass produced barrel is questionable and when a custom barrel is fit correctly that also helps with precision.

Every firearm I did this to shot better, some way way better, and most of my better shooting airguns as well partly because either a tested barrel was used, or a high quality custom barrel was used, then the gun was tuned.

Otherwise its a lottery so you buy a new gun and might get anything from a great shooting gun to a horrible shooting guns.

I have a funny tale or you could say a not so funny story.
In my youth and in my search for a precise rifle I bought four or so factory stock centerfire varmint rifles, both new and used, in various cartridges, to shoot Prairie Dogs with at long range. I reloaded and worked up loads the best I could but a 1" group at 100Y was hard to get and between all of them I'd say 1.5" was average. I was disgusted because I wasted hundreds of dollars (back then $300 was a weeks wages) by getting half the guns worth in trade value towards the next rifle.
I walked into a gun store in Prescott AZ and I saw a custom 6mmPPC benchrest rifle with many 100Y targets the owner had shot which were one ragged hole and some done at 200Y. It came with brass, dies, load data, and was $600. It was out of my price range so I walked out of the store but called back a few days later to arrange the purchase but the gun was sold already. Man did that mistake cost me over the years!
It was two decades after this until I finally ended up with my first semi custom varmint rifle that was a half inch TACK driver. But I had spent thousands by then chasing my tail with the lottery of regular guns. However I did luck out and at least get a one rifle and a Contender pistol that shot 1" or a hair less though both had aftermarket barrels.

Oh the stories I could tell. It's fun looking back seeing that eventually my goals were met!
I shoot cast bullet benchrest matches and understand barrel quality and twist rates.I shoot the BR and Production classes.With BR you pick your quality barrel and you are off(somewhat) with production it's luck of the draw.It took me a few guns to get a good chamber and barrel. I'm always chasing rainbows ot seems.i guess it's fun?

the 308 Texan baffled me because the other calibers seem to shoot better.I even ran my buddies Hawkeye bore scope down the tube and the barrel finish was fine.

i
Until recently, the .308 Texan didn’t seem to have the proven accuracy history of the .257 or .457. But that’s changing. It’s a good airgun caliber for ELR. At the 2023 RMAC, 2nd and 3rd place were .308 caliber. 3rd place was a Texan .308 with a stock barrel I believe. Definitely had the potential to win.
good to hear! I'm on the fence to buy another.

My old texan .308 carbine did very , very well with lee113 gr mould sized to .309 , like extremely well