300S Resealed!

I was ready to send my 300s out for new seals but after watching the how-to vids (thanks Joe!), I decided to get the parts and do it myself. I finished it up this afternoon and while shooting some sight-in targets I realized that I learned 3 important things from the experience. First, taking it apart made it obvious just how well designed, machined and assembled this gun is. Second, there is definitely a correct order to the steps involved to both dissemble and reassemble it. Third, I enjoy shooting AGs a whole lot more than working on them! Admittedly, I have the mechanical aptitude of a dung beetle but I fought this b!#€h for 3 days. Parts that should just slip in and out clung together like grim death (the rear spring stop was particularly memorable). The actual new breach seal and buffer install was a piece of cake. Well it's back together now. It's shooting JSB 7.3s at 610fps and 1hole at 20yds. If it goes another 45 years before needing to be resealed again I'll be 115 and probably not shooting as much. Uj

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
I was ready to send my 300s out for new seals but after watching the how-to vids (thanks Joe!), I decided to get the parts and do it myself. I finished it up this afternoon and while shooting some sight-in targets I realized that I learned 3 important things from the experience. First, taking it apart made it obvious just how well designed, machined and assembled this gun is. Second, there is definitely a correct order to the steps involved to both dissemble and reassemble it. Third, I enjoy shooting AGs a whole lot more than working on them! Admittedly, I have the mechanical aptitude of a dung beetle but I fought this b!#€h for 3 days. Parts that should just slip in and out clung together like grim death (the rear spring stop was particularly memorable). The actual new breach seal and buffer install was a piece of cake. Well it's back together now. It's shooting JSB 7.3s at 610fps and 1hole at 20yds. If it goes another 45 years before needing to be resealed again I'll be 115 and probably not shooting as much. Uj

~~~~~~~~

I bet you'll just buy a pair eyeglasses and shoot even more!

+1

I was in the same boat your were in. I wanted to have my Running Target resealed, found a place to have it done, but never followed thru. I then went to the YouTube, watched a few videos of it being done and said to myself, that ain't no big deal. I did my RT , my friends RT and a couple more 300s rifles. Just takes a little time. You do need to build a rig to be able to compress the spring, but that ain't a big deal. 

I completely went through one of mine recently. I had already installed new springs so I went back into it and installed a new piston ring, buffer and breach seal. To remove the spring I just held it down on a step while the bolt was removed and the same to reinstalled. I agree with Uglyjohn, they are fine examples of great enginnering and machine work, Every since I was a kid I've liked figuring out what makes stuff work and if it's broke figuring out what and why it broke. When I was a boy "why" got me in trouble a lot. with my Dad.

The small spring clip drove me crazy the first one I rebuilt. That was back before Joe's videos. I love to shoot my 300 but there was a rifle designed just to out shoot the 300s in 10m Olympic shooting. It did such a good job they had to make the target smaller and its still that way to this day. I need to hook you up with one of those Justin(or 2) . ;)

1539734195_16288813235bc67ab35f3f73.15685549_219.jpg

The small spring clip drove me crazy the first one I rebuilt. That was back before Joe's videos. I love to shoot my 300 but there was a rifle designed just to out shoot the 300s in 10m Olympic shooting. It did such a good job they had to make the target smaller and its still that way to this day. I need to hook you up with one of those Justin(or 2) . ;)

1539734195_16288813235bc67ab35f3f73.15685549_219.jpg

LOL!

I'd be tempted if you had one in a lefty.