30-Yard Challenge

The weather finally improved sufficiently to convince me to shoot some 40 yd. targets today. By the time I got my wind-flags set up and my targets out the wind started picking up but was constantly changing speed and direction varying anywhere between 7-12-3 o'clock. After shooting four targets I decided there was no way I was going to beat my current entry target so, I put up a 30 yd. Challenge target and very patiently shot the attached card until block 12 as I knew it was a throw-away.

View attachment 452788

Wow! That is 240 across 24 targets !!

Congratulations - awesome shooting Marvin!!

I should be ashamed to post this after Ed's perfect card but I will shamelessly do it anyway. This is my second target with my new Caiman and my first Masters Class target. I think it's a 192 9X. So 1 point better than my first target with this gun. The regulator is not working very well (ES over 40 fps on these targets) but the gun will shoot. If I can do a little better maybe I can get closer to Ed. There was essentially no wind shooting this target.

Caiman 192 9x.jpg

Leaderboard Update - April 7, 2024​

Shooters,

Below are our Leaderboards, with submissions through and including April 7th (today).

There were some awesome scores shot this past month…

Notables:

mreynolds shot a perfect 200-20X 30-Challenge with his Thomas .177 ! Marvin actually scored 240 across the 24 targets!!

EPG shot a 200-13X 30-Challenge with his FX Crown .22

EPG shot a 199-17X 30-Masters with his RTI Prophet V1 .177 (he still can’t get to a 200-Masters)

tommyb shot a 197-11X 30-Challenge with his HW100 .22 using RangeMaster pellets.

NaProf shot a 196-13X 30-Challenge with his FX Crown .177 Green Mountain.

RCope shot a 194-13X 30-Challenge with his Air Arms S510XS .177 using Benjamin pellets.

tommyb shot a 194-9X 30-Masters with his HW100 .22 using FX Atomic pellets.

Congrats to all these high scorers.

We also had some new rifles appear on the leaderboard with submissions:

Congrats to JimD on his new AirMaks Caiman X

Congrats to tommyb on his new RAW TX1000X .177

Congrats to NaProf on his new FX King

It nice to see new shooters, new rifles and new types of pellets hitting the leaderboard.

The weather is warmin’ up – so get out there and get some lead downrange !!

-Ed

66AB1266-ECF2-47A8-85F0-85D5BB8109DE.jpeg

6B54C464-9F32-484A-9541-CD52321920E7.jpeg

34714E56-668C-4EC7-8DFF-688C958ED586.jpeg

6F440893-63FC-48E2-8069-450279B7D966.jpeg

3A5FB4B5-0E58-4E80-9705-8799117633F9.jpeg

Thanks for posting the leader board, Ed. I'm sure it doesn't pull itself together.

I got the bedroom set about done for my grandson (need to attach knobs to the chest) so I'm starting to shoot more. I shot this target with my P35-25 this afternoon. It shoots 34 grain JSBs about 800 fps. I was frustrated by my first shot on block 10. The wind had been low but has started to pick up. It was blowing left to right. Then suddenly it started blowing really hard for just a minute or two. I was not watching the wind flags so I did not see it happening. I'm a little surprised a 34 grain pellet moved that much. Oh well.... Still not the worst I've done. This is the first master target for this gun so if you want, it can go on the leader board. I think it's a 191 9X.

P35-25 191 9X Masters.jpg

I shot at least one target with my P35-22, P35-25 and a couple with my new Caiman X today. All 30 yard challenge. The only one better than pervious efforts is this 194 13X with the Caiman X. I am shooting H&N Baracuda 18s and this target had them going about 905 fps. It's ES has been pretty high but it came down to 34 on this target - so it seems to be improving. I am gradually dropping velocity and shooting targets to see what seems to work the best. Pretty much no wind here tonight. I have my Arken EPL-4 6-24 on this rifle set to 24X. I think I am still at under 500 pellets through it, probably less than 300, so it is still breaking in. I got it a week ago today.

Caiman X 194 13X 905 fps.jpg

Nice shooting JimmyD!!

I shot 3 cards in our beautiful 69F weather - even the wind was mild:

186 7X 40-Masters with Crown .22
Dreamline Classic .177 card had no score as it was all over the place. I had not shot this rifle in a long time - need to chrono and clean barrel and check it out.

Submitting this 190 9X for the 30-Challenge leaderboard. I had not shot my unregulated, hyper-tuned Akela .177 in months.

I’m especially proud that I shot 190 on my 1st card since last year with the Akela - using a 4-14x scope at 14X. I had no 7’s - incredible since I have to use the gap between the reticle’s center “t” and the vertical crosshair. Otherwise, the center “t” would obscure the entire 10-ring using 14x with this budget FFP scope.

Inexpensive Akela outshot my much more costly FX Dreamline by a mile today - while handicapped by a low magnification scope.

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4349.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

Hi Guys,
Had an interesting insight as I was analyzing the cards I shot as part of the data collection for my pellet sorting experiment. I weighed and measured 192 of the FX 18.1gr pellets and then shot them at the 40yd Challenge cards. Shot eight cards over two days, recording the velocities and then measuring and plotting the POI's. The card below is the 6th card shot and, while it is pretty good at 193-8x, I didn't take special note of it at first.
193-8x 40yd Card.jpg

I said I didn't take any special note of it until I plotted the POI's. Here they are with a dime photo overlaid. That is all 24 shots with the max CTC distance of 0.94 MOA. Unfortunately for card scoring I needed to have used two clicks right and one up on the scope. If I had done that this would have been a 198-18x card.

Woulda, coulda, shoula ... I shoot the cards in this experiment without trying to hold for wind gusts or waiting for still moments. I just try to put the cross hair in the same spot every time - Afterall what I am trying to do is to quantify the effect of pellet weight and head size on the scatter of the POI. I also single shot load so I have a new head position on every shot. I am trying to use this to discipline myself to being able to do that well.

All in all I would say that shooting these targets has made me a better shooter, but it is also very useful to look at how the shots group.
Cheers,
Greg
193-8x 40yd Challenge.png

Last edited:
I shot a target with my new Caiman yesterday while I was tuning it and sighting in the scope. It was not until block 4 I stopped messing with it. The last 18 shots were all 10s or 9s and there were only 3 9s. What I think was the last shot at the left target in block 3 was also a 10. One more decent block and I could have improved that guns score significantly. Next two targets with that tune have been in wind and worse. I quit on the second one when it started raining fairly hard. Velocity variation is still not good. I'm not sure it is affecting accuracy at 30 yards but I just asked Utah Air about a theory on what could be "wrong".

Hi Guys,
Had an interesting insight as I was analyzing the cards I shot as part of the data collection for my pellet sorting experiment. I weighed and measured 192 of the FX 18.1gr pellets and then shot them at the 40yd Challenge cards. Shot eight cards over two days, recording the velocities and then measuring and plotting the POI's. The card below is the 6th card shot and, while it is pretty good at 193-8x, I didn't take special note of it at first.
View attachment 454431

I said I didn't take any special note of it until I plotted the POI's. Here they are with a dime photo overlaid. That is all 24 shots with the max CTC distance of 0.94 MOA. Unfortunately for card scoring I needed to have used two clicks right and one up on the scope. If I had done that this would have been a 198-18x card.

Woulda, coulda, shoula ... I shoot the cards in this experiment without trying to hold for wind gusts or waiting for still moments. I just try to put the cross hair in the same spot every time - Afterall what I am trying to do is to quantify the effect of pellet weight and head size on the scatter of the POI. I also single shot load so I have a new head position on every shot. I am trying to use this to discipline myself to being able to do that well.

All in all I would say that shooting these targets has made me a better shooter, but it is also very useful to look at how the shots group.
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 454434

Greg

Always enjoy these overlaid dime photo experiments. If you shot this card with the exact same POA for every bull, I think it is amazing that you shot a 193 at 40Y. I never tried this on any challenge card, so I am curious.

As an illustration, I adjust for every single bull for wind, and even then, getting a 190 or better is very difficult. Some bulls I may have used the exact same hold and then unexpectedly I hit a 7 or 8 (as an example). Then, I may shoot a sighter, and readjust for that condition with a new hold based on either the sighter or where I hit on my prior bull.

This experiment almost justifies ignoring the wind all together, keeping your POA constant for all 24 bulls, and relying on your gun and shooting skill and technique to aim your crosshair at the same exact POA for each bull.

Tom

Greg

Always enjoy these overlaid dime photo experiments. If you shot this card with the exact same POA for every bull, I think it is amazing that you shot a 193 at 40Y. I never tried this on any challenge card, so I am curious.

As an illustration, I adjust for every single bull for wind, and even then, getting a 190 or better is very difficult. Some bulls I may have used the exact same hold and then unexpectedly I hit a 7 or 8 (as an example). Then, I may shoot a sighter, and readjust for that condition with a new hold based on either the sighter or where I hit on my prior bull.

This experiment almost justifies ignoring the wind all together, keeping your POA constant for all 24 bulls, and relying on your gun and shooting skill and technique to aim your crosshair at the same exact POA for each bull.

Tom
Tom,
An interesting point. I think I need to include the weather data with my analysis. That particular card was shot with the winds fairly light, 2-4 mph at my 2 o'clock. I have other cards where the shift due to higher winds is evident. I have a couple of cards for my .177 pellets (in the same experiment data set) where a gusty wind spreads the POI's in all directions.
I am planning to use the vertical POI deltas in the form of an RMS value to measure the effect of head size and pellet weight. I am going to do that by shifting the vertical centroid of the 24 shots to zero for each card and assume the offset was due to reasons other than the pellet weight and pellet head size (shooters bias, parallax from not getting the scope adjusted right, head position, eye box alignment, etc.).
Suffice it to say that being able to make adjustments for wind is an art and one which I will continue to pursue. Though I think the data says that if it isn't too gusty, find one windage adjustment and stick to it for that card.

Cheers,
Greg

Your last sentence.....

If not too gusty.....Are you saying pick a windage hold and stick to it for 24 bulls? I think you are saying exactly this.

Please give a good example. I.e., wind speed for your suggestion? Tail wind, head wind, R-l, L-R?

In other words, I would like to know based on your data, what do you spefically suggest.

Thanks
Tom

Your last sentence.....

If not too gusty.....Are you saying pick a windage hold and stick to it for 24 bulls? I think you are saying exactly this.

Please give a good example. I.e., wind speed for your suggestion? Tail wind, head wind, R-l, L-R?

In other words, I would like to know based on your data, what do you spefically suggest.

Thanks
Tom
Hey Tom,
What I think I am realizing is that you can be your own worst enemy in trying too hard to be perfect. There is a certain amount of randomness in the POI. On my 40 yd targets shooting the 18.1gr pellets it seems that no matter what combination of pellet head size and weight I simulated for an entire card, the RMS value for the elevation POI shift was close to 3mm. Assuming a normal distribution for the POI shift that would mean 67% of the POI's would be within +/- 3mm and 95% would be +/- 6mm. That fits with my observation that typically for a card 20 or 21 of the 24 shots had a POI of within a bit more than 1 MOA. I can't say everyone can expect that, but with this rifle (my NW Crown is shooting really well, and I am still willing to part with it ;)) that is the level of randomness introduced by the choice of pellets.

The Windage POI errors varied a lot more. I haven't attempted to look at it closely enough to be able to say that at a certain level of gustiness you should change your windage hold. I don't think I can say that. I would need to continuosly record wind velocities at severral locations along the flight path and even then it would be difficult. I am thinking more generally. I am thinking in light winds it may not pay to be trying to correct too often. The POI change you observed may be random. Of course by "random" I mean unexplainable at this time with this technology and my capability.

Thanks for the observations and the willingness to discuss this stuff!

Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: TimeRabbit
Hey Tom,
What I think I am realizing is that you can be your own worst enemy in trying too hard to be perfect. There is a certain amount of randomness in the POI. On my 40 yd targets shooting the 18.1gr pellets it seems that no matter what combination of pellet head size and weight I simulated for an entire card, the RMS value for the elevation POI shift was close to 3mm. Assuming a normal distribution for the POI shift that would mean 67% of the POI's would be within +/- 3mm and 95% would be +/- 6mm. That fits with my observation that typically for a card 20 or 21 of the 24 shots had a POI of within a bit more than 1 MOA. I can't say everyone can expect that, but with this rifle (my NW Crown is shooting really well, and I am still willing to part with it ;)) that is the level of randomness introduced by the choice of pellets.

The Windage POI errors varied a lot more. I haven't attempted to look at it closely enough to be able to say that at a certain level of gustiness you should change your windage hold. I don't think I can say that. I would need to continuosly record wind velocities at severral locations along the flight path and even then it would be difficult. I am thinking more generally. I am thinking in light winds it may not pay to be trying to correct too often. The POI change you observed may be random. Of course by "random" I mean unexplainable at this time with this technology and my capability.

Thanks for the observations and the willingness to discuss this stuff!

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks for the explanations and context Greg.

I definitely would win first place for ‘being my own worst enemy.’ I agree that POI shifts are hard to predict and also hard to analyze, especially with wind in the equation.

I am going to try an experiment though the next time I get a light wind day. I am going to ‘force’ myself to shoot a couple of 30y cards ( not 40y) with no hold adjustments, while maintaining the same exact POA for all 24 bulls. Typically, (as I mentioned previously) I treat each bull as unique and check wind for hold adjustments that may be needed.

If light wind still cooperates, I’ll shoot two more with my standard approach and compare scoring with both scenarios.

Reactions: NAProf