30-Yard Challenge

Hi Everyone, I have an interest in 50 yard Standing position, and possibly 100 yds, using a 177 FWB 800x, and 900, both are 10 meter setups. For my son and myself.
Last outdoor season I used a FX Crown GRS in 22 cal, 700 1:16, 27g slug, at approx 950 fps, for this same Standing situation at 50 yd and 100 yards.
At first, using the 177 , will test on the bench to make sure this can be done with some acceptable groupings.
I believe the barrel is 1:12 twist. So slugs may be possible with such a fast twist, if I have good results at 50 yd and want to go to 100 yards...?...? FPS is approx 160 to 170m/s, 525 to 558 fps. Realizing that a possible 700 fps may be obtained by turning the screw a small amount. Will start with the fps it is at, 525, 558 fps and see what happens.
Definitely want to share what is being done, is this the proper thread to do so? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, R

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, I have an interest in 50 yard Standing position, and possibly 100 yds, using a 177 FWB 800x, and 900, both are 10 meter setups. For my son and myself.
Last outdoor season I used a FX Crown GRS in 22 cal, 700 1:16, 27g slug, at approx 950 fps, for this same Standing situation at 50 yd and 100 yards.
At first, using the 177 , will test on the bench to make sure this can be done with some acceptable groupings.
I believe the barrel is 1:12 twist. So slugs may be possible with such a fast twist, if I have good results at 50 yd and want to go to 100 yards...?...? FPS is approx 160 to 170m/s, 525 to 558 fps. Realizing that a possible 700 fps may be obtained by turning the screw a small amount. Will start with the fps it is at, 525, 558 fps and see what happens.
Definitely want to share what is being done, is this the proper thread to do so? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, R

Hi Alpineboard,

This is not really the thread that you want… this thread is dedicated to 30 and 40 yard benchrest - with pellets.

However, our target is challenging and we would be interested in your results with it at 50 yards, both standing and benchrest - your FWB’s are awesome rifles. I haven’t seen anyone else post results from a top level 10-meter rifle at 50 yards and further.

-Ed

Reactions: alpineboard
So I cleaned the barrel and tried a different pellet, the Benjamin Match .177 (10.5gr). Had a short opening after the rain with little wind:
IMG_5352.jpg
IMG_5351.jpg

Wind Reading…

… I don’t think you can “read” the wind – its more like an educated “guess” and the more you shoot in the wind, the better your guesses.

I wanted to get some trigger time as I have an event coming up next month. Today it was 11mph winds here with 22mph gusts – its basically been “too windy to target shoot” here this past week.

Then I thought, I’d better practice in the wind – as its likely going to be windy in my event and I won’t be able to dodge it there.

I shot a 5-shot group with RTI Prophet .22 to see how bad it was. To my amazement, the rifle put all 5 shots though a single hole that measured .39 inches edge to edge!

So, with a rifle that consistent, I shot a couple 30-Yard Challenge targets to see how well I could guess the wind. Results were way better than I expected.

The wind was mostly right-to-left varying in intensity. I found it hard to trust myself when my guesses had my holds beyond the 9-ring – which is why most of my shots are slightly left of target – I don’t’ trust my wind guessing enough and consistently hold less than my gut tells me to hold. Gotta get better at “trusting my reads”.

I’m darn happy with 198 15X in these windy conditions – it may even be a leaderboard submission with Prophet .22 this year – as I usually shoot Masters cards with it.

-Ed

IMG_4232.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

IMG_4229.png

IMG_4231.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

Wind Reading…

… I don’t think you can “read” the wind – its more like an educated “guess” and the more you shoot in the wind, the better your guesses.

I wanted to get some trigger time as I have an event coming up next month. Today it was 11mph winds here with 22mph gusts – its basically been “too windy to target shoot” here this past week.

Then I thought, I’d better practice in the wind – as its likely going to be windy in my event and I won’t be able to dodge it there.

I shot a 5-shot group with RTI Prophet .22 to see how bad it was. To my amazement, the rifle put all 5 shots though a single hole that measured .39 inches edge to edge!

So, with a rifle that consistent, I shot a couple 30-Yard Challenge targets to see how well I could guess the wind. Results were way better than I expected.

The wind was mostly right-to-left varying in intensity. I found it hard to trust myself when my guesses had my holds beyond the 9-ring – which is why most of my shots are slightly left of target – I don’t’ trust my wind guessing enough and consistently hold less than my gut tells me to hold. Gotta get better at “trusting my reads”.

I’m darn happy with 198 15X in these windy conditions – it may even be a leaderboard submission with Prophet .22 this year – as I usually shoot Masters cards with it.

-Ed

View attachment 449025

View attachment 449026

View attachment 449027

View attachment 449028

View attachment 449029

I like it. “Wind guessing”. Pretty nice guessing on obtaining those scores.

That’s the way many really see it. Your RTI is really dialed in for the 30y target, despite the 11pm high varying winds. At a hundred yards, you might have had to hold one whole bull over to the right on those rings. Talk about ‘trusting your reads.’ 😃

I remember one of the competition 100y Benchrest shooters at RMAC or EBR stating the wind holds were extremely difficult, and that he had to hold one bull to the right to try and score.

I didn’t see any wind flags out, but based on your high scores, not sure if they would have helped or confused you either. If I had the patience to take notes with each shot and had 2 flags deployed, I might actually learn to ‘guess’ better.

I almost never shoot beyond 30y in any wind over 3-5 mph anymore at my local range, and unless it’s almost still, I just can’t score high 190’s in those conditions.

It truly is an art to read/guess the wind.

Reactions: JimD and beerthief
I like it. “Wind guessing”. Pretty nice guessing on obtaining those scores.

That’s the way many really see it. Your RTI is really dialed in for the 30y target, despite the 11pm high varying winds. At a hundred yards, you might have had to hold one whole bull over to the right on those rings. Talk about ‘trusting your reads.’ 😃

I remember one of the competition 100y Benchrest shooters at RMAC or EBR stating the wind holds were extremely difficult, and that he had to hold one bull to the right to try and score.

I didn’t see any wind flags out, but based on your high scores, not sure if they would have helped or confused you either. If I had the patience to take notes with each shot and had 2 flags deployed, I might actually learn to ‘guess’ better.

I almost never shoot beyond 30y in any wind over 3-5 mph anymore at my local range, and unless it’s almost still, I just can’t score high 190’s in those conditions.

It truly is an art to read/guess the wind.

Hi Tommy,

I used one wind flag - at 15 yards from rifle - using your suggestion.

I also had streamers on sides of target, but didn’t really use them - except when they blow straight back from target, then I wait cause shots always go high when wind blowing straight back at target.

I was “blown away” with scores yesterday, because I’m not an experienced (or good) wind shooter. I’ve noticed improvement since using wind flag at 15 yards - instead of 5 yards from target.

I think I was lucky that the wind was strong, but pretty consistent in direction. If wind constantly shifting, its real challenging to keep one eye on flag and another on target.

I may leave Prophet .22 as is, and use it in speed shooting at NAC if distances 45 or less. I have two awesome .25 LR 1:32 twist barrels for it, but I hate to change the current tune. I’ve got the other Prophet set up with a .30 barrel that was shooting 1/2” at 50 yards the other day, so I’m thinking I’ll try .30 this year for 100 benchrest. I’ve also got 3 pellet options in .30 - 44g, 50g and 56g - probably use 44g for a smooth shot cycle.

Ed

Re. 30 caliber - FWIW, I tried the 51g in my Paradigm and Boss, but the 44g grouped better at both 50 and 100 yards. I would be surprised if the heavier pellets would do any better in your Prophet. Try em’ out, but the biggest factor at NAC will probably be wind conditions and shooting pellets at 100y.

Pretty nice scores on those 30y challenge cards.

Wind Reading…

-Ed

View attachment 449025

View attachment 449026

View attachment 449027

View attachment 449028

View attachment 449029
Guestimating is my term , so....... Good guestimating !
Today is 15 to 25 /30 mph wind gustyness here 😎

For now, I will submit the HW100 .22 caliber for two leaderboard updates:

30y Masters - 194-9X
30y Challenge - 194-8x

I’m testing pellets and velocities with the new RAW TM1000x .177, so it might be a while before I get this dialed in. I did shoot a 188-7x with that gun for the 30y Masters. It can do much better.

40y has been hard for me, so I need more powerful magnification scopes for that, so I can see the X ring. 😀

Maybe tax refund will help…

Reactions: EPG and NAProf
Ha ha. I don’t see your score posted with the 3-shot groups. 😀😀
Scoring would have to be hits on the line so i could have 9+9+10 and 1x ? per bull . Now this also begs the question : if you hit the x and 12 o'clock and again at 3 o'clock ,does that equal 2x ? Or if you hit one hole in the x ,is that an x or 3x ? HMMM?

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
The weather finally improved sufficiently to convince me to shoot some 40 yd. targets today. By the time I got my wind-flags set up and my targets out the wind started picking up but was constantly changing speed and direction varying anywhere between 7-12-3 o'clock. After shooting four targets I decided there was no way I was going to beat my current entry target so, I put up a 30 yd. Challenge target and very patiently shot the attached card until block 12 as I knew it was a throw-away.

Scan2024-04-05_210046.jpg