• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Ed and Greg - You two are putting up some truly remarkable 40y target scores.

I am finding that unless there is virtually a ‘no wind’ day, I’m going to just focus on 30Y targets and save some pellets vs. shooting at 40y in any wind greater than 2-3 mph. I know it’s the wind which is killing me, or my ability to correctly shoot a good wind call consistently. The reason I know this is; because my best 40y scores were with little wind.

Once I get a zero wind day, ( or very light breeze), I’ll try again at 40y.
Awesome 195 13x with the Revere Tommy !

I’ve been able to shoot some 190+ 40 yard cards on breezy days, but the breeze has to be consistently one direction. Then I can hold pretty consistently and score well.

If the breeze dies down, no problem- less holdover.

If the breeze is switching directions, well then I’m just guessing - practicing wind reading- which is so difficult.

On days when breeze is switching directions, 30 yards is a lot less frustrating.

To get holds precise at 40 yards, I need 36x or higher magnification.

Reactions: tommyb
Is there somewhere a list of each person's score? Or does it just get forgotten in the thread?
Hi Caliber 22,

Here is the link to the latest leaderboard udate:
Post in thread '30-Yard Challenge'
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/30-yard-challenge.1214772/post-1685119

We collect lots of data: rifle, ammo & scope. The purpose is to help others set up their rifles for best accuracy at classic airgun distances of 30 and 40 yards.

We even have a “Hall of Aim” - best 200 score from each shooter/rifle/caliber each year.

-Ed

Hi Caliber 22,

Here is the link to the latest leaderboard udate:
Post in thread '30-Yard Challenge'
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/30-yard-challenge.1214772/post-1685119

We collect lots of data: rifle, ammo & scope. The purpose is to help others set up their rifles for best accuracy at classic airgun distances of 30 and 40 yards.

We even have a “Hall of Aim” - best 200 score from each shooter/rifle/caliber each year.

-Ed
So what do you do, post a new update and delete the old one?

Shot a 40y challenge and a 30y challenge today with the Revere .22 caliber. Windy again.

40y - 182-6X
30Y - 195-13X

Will submit my 195-13x for the 30y challenge for next update.

View attachment 440930
Shot a few more 30 and 40y cards today.

Was not supposed to be windy, but I must be a masochist. Nothing for the leaderboard, but I'm enjoying the new Garmin Chrony.

IMG_0794.jpeg

IMG_0793.jpeg

It was too windy here to shoot high scores today, but I shot three 40-Masters cards using 600mm .25 barrel on FX PowerPup with 25.4g FX pellets.

Scores were:
185 4X
185 9X
187 9X

So lots of Xs and some windblown 8s - but zero 7s - so I’m pleased with that in the wind.

At dusk, the wind died down to mild breeze.

I grabbed my Daystate Huntsman Regal - unregulated .22.

Checking my records, I last shot my Huntsman on Dec 8th - just one 30-Masters card. Previous time I shot it was September 28th !

Check this out - I shot 195 11X 30-Challenge. Even cooler, note my first two shots with the rifle in months were both Xs on the white dot on cardboard to the left of target .

Gotta love a rifle that you can pick up after months and immediately hit an X on a tiny target. The Huntsman is the only rifle I’ve never adjusted. I did take apart the valve to fix a slow leak, but even the trigger is out-of -the-box (unheard of for an EPG rifle, lol)

I’ll submit this 195 for the 2024 leaderboard.

I really oughta get the Huntsman out more. I have another “show” stock for it, but when I put that stock on it becomes a wall decoration. This “shooting” stock is really nice too - Daystate does nice wood.

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg

I submit the attached target to replace my existing entry in the 40yd Masters Class.

Wind conditions were relatively mild mostly ranging from 2-5 mph but constantly changing direction between 7-11 o'clock. It's definitely time to adjust the placement of my wind flags to better read the for the additional 10-yard distance.

Scan2024-03-01_205618.jpg

It was too windy here to shoot high scores today, but I shot three 40-Masters cards using 600mm .25 barrel on FX PowerPup with 25.4g FX pellets.

Scores were:
185 4X
185 9X
187 9X

So lots of Xs and some windblown 8s - but zero 7s - so I’m pleased with that in the wind.

At dusk, the wind died down to mild breeze.

I grabbed my Daystate Huntsman Regal - unregulated .22.

Checking my records, I last shot my Huntsman on Dec 8th - just one 30-Masters card. Previous time I shot it was September 28th !

Check this out - I shot 195 11X 30-Challenge. Even cooler, note my first two shots with the rifle in months were both Xs on the white dot on cardboard to the left of target .

Gotta love a rifle that you can pick up after months and immediately hit an X on a tiny target. The Huntsman is the only rifle I’ve never adjusted. I did take apart the valve to fix a slow leak, but even the trigger is out-of -the-box (unheard of for an EPG rifle, lol)

I’ll submit this 195 for the 2024 leaderboard.

I really oughta get the Huntsman out more. I have another “show” stock for it, but when I put that stock on it becomes a wall decoration. This “shooting” stock is really nice too - Daystate does nice wood.

View attachment 441317

View attachment 441318

The Daystate Reveres are fun to shoot. I had the Daystate Regal XL (unregulated), and it was my first PCP. Very accurate and wish the 30y challenge was around back 5 years ago when I still had it. Minelli stocks are beautiful.

Congrats on the 195!

Last edited:
I submit the attached target to replace my existing entry in the 40yd Masters Class.

Wind conditions were relatively mild mostly ranging from 2-5 mph but constantly changing direction between 7-11 o'clock. It's definitely time to adjust the placement of my wind flags to better read the for the additional 10-yard distance.

View attachment 441411

Marvin - You give me hope as I await a new RAW TM1000 .177 coming my way. Fantastic card!

They are not hard to score but I need to change the cardboard more often. It gets pretty beat up. But it still guides the scoring pin almost all the time. The tear in the paper you can see is sometimes mis-leading, however. Never tried gluing it, seems like a big hassle. What happens if the glue doesn't easily let go? I don't think the single shots for a scoring target chew up the cardboard backer nearly as bad as the 3 or 5 shot groups I use to get sighted in.
glue is a permanent thing , cardboard and paper target . Best thing is to print your targets on light card stock ( # 67 i think is the weight i print on ) Or take to Office MAX and have them print on light card stock .

glue is a permanent thing , cardboard and paper target . Best thing is to print your targets on light card stock ( # 67 i think is the weight i print on ) Or take to Office MAX and have them print on light card stock .
ThomasT turned me on to this. 1/2" thick. I can shoot 10-15 times with it, and my 80lb Cardstock targets make nice, easy to measure holes.

IMG_0795.jpeg

Reactions: beerthief
I just use regular cardboard ( Amazon boxes , Cheerios boxes ) on my target stand and tape a card stock target to that . even in well shot up areas i get nice round smooth holes in the card stock .

I used to drive my truck around our neighborhood on garbage/ recycle pick up day and Look for Amazon cardboard boxes. The Admiral wasn’t crazy about me doing this so I order them now.

Reactions: beerthief
New to this challenge. Got a rifle worthy, .177 AA S510XS, courtesy of @cavedweller . Variable winds, but light. Not my first cards, tried a few with my springers which were good but not good enough :).No where to go but up! Scoring was a bit of a challenge, but I think I figured it out looking at a bunch of other entries.
IMG_5314.jpg
IMG_5315.jpg
IMG_5316.jpg

New to this challenge. Got a rifle worthy, .177 AA S510XS, courtesy of @cavedweller . Variable winds, but light. Not my first cards, tried a few with my springers which were good but not good enough :).No where to go but up! Scoring was a bit of a challenge, but I think I figured it out looking at a bunch of other entries.
View attachment 441959View attachment 441960View attachment 441961

Welcome to the 30 & 40 yard challenge!

The scoring rules are on the 1st page of the thread.

Basically a .22 scoring gauge is used - regardless of .177 or .22.

If the gauge touches a black ring, you score the higher ring.

Freeland sports sells the gauges:

-Ed

Reactions: RCope
Leaderboard submissions:

Started to practice with my Daystate Huntsman Regal unregulated .22.

First rifle I ever shot 200 with. It’s boringly accurate and almost too pretty to shoot - so I rarely do.

Today I tried FX 18.13s in it. Always used 15.89g in my Regal. Don’t know why I never tried the 18.13s. They chronoed at 858 about mid-fill.

Anyways I shot three 30-Masters cards:
190 8X
194 12X
198 13X - submitting the 198… practice makes perfect, well almost, lol.

I should shoot the Regal more… just using a modest cost Arken EPL-4 scope.

Also submitting cards I shot with Weihrauch HW100 that I tuned for a friend:

30-Challenge: 198 16X
30-Masters: 196 15X (so close to 197, lol)

The 198 was shot a few days ago with 18.13g and the 196 I shot today with 15.89g FX Atomics.

Such I nice rifle to shoot the HW100, I’ll miss it. I did use a Sightron SIII 45X target scope on the HW100.

-Ed

IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4061.jpeg

IMG_4058.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

IMG_4013.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: JimD
Great stuff Ed! Looks like you have a bunch of nice rifles that keep scoring well - Indian or arrows? Looking like Indian to me. (y)

Had a calm spell this morning so quickly got out the kit and shot a 40 yd Challenge and a 30 yd Masters with the .177 FT rig. The 40 yd wasn't worth talking about, but my little .177 tied your Huntsman Regal with a 198-13x in the 30 yd Masters.

Got the new King yesterday and spent this afternoon trying to find the right tune for the 18.1 gr pellets. I might have to put in a lighter hammer weight as even at 85 bar and low hammer spring settings it is sending them at 900 fps and is using too much air. Also tore it completely down and did a Sub12Airgunners "bits polishing" on it. The mechanical workings are very, very similar to the Crown! New toys are fun!
Cheers,
Greg

30 yd Masters with GM 500 3-3-24.jpg