30-Yard Challenge

Had a couple minutes, though I would shoot a card. 40yds 50deg.
IMG_3408.jpeg
3-5mph wind very switchy? Disappointed but is what it is!

Reactions: EPG and NAProf
Had a couple minutes, though I would shoot a card. 40yds 50deg.View attachment 438256 3-5mph wind very switchy? Disappointed but is what it is!

That’s good shootin’ at 40 in the wind!

I shot this yesterday in the wind switching directions and the cold - about freezing. I was pleased:

192 9X 40-Masters with .25 Power Pup. The day before I shot 189 5X 40-Masters with the same rifle. We’re battling the cold and wind till spring.

-Ed

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

Reactions: nomojo65
Actually today in Mi. It was 50deg.! Light wind both unusual for this time of year.
Just glad I could shoot and be able grip the pellets to load them!

On my 2nd card yesterday, I lost feeling in fingers on both hands. It was 30-32 degrees and I single shot load directly into the breech - no magazines - so no gloves.

I blamed crossing out the last row on the stupid deer that was blocking my target range - but it was likely my frozen fingers, lol.

IMG_3969.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg

IMG_3971.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
That’s pretty cool seeing the deer in front of your target, I’ve had the same thing happen, they bed down behind my neighbors home and will walk through my property.

My yard is like a gateway to the animal kingdom. I’ve had to wait for flocks of 20+ wild turkeys to clear my range. I’ve had baby foxes run into me while chasing each other while I’m setting up targets. Crazy giant woodpeckers working like chainsaws, skunks, racoons, hawks - you name it, it’s interfering with my “backyard range”, lol.

Reactions: nomojo65
Went out on 2/20 and shot a few 30Y Masters Cards. Way too windy for 40Y.

Nothing great, but for now, I will submit the 189-10X for the Revere. I have not focused on 30Y Masters for a while, but there are no "gimmie's" here either for me.

p.s. Martin is starting on my new RAW .177 TM1000X in March. Can't wait to get it out and try some of these cards. Never had a .177 before, so this will be really new for me.

I had my new Garmin Chrony measuring the Revere 18.1 G and it was lower than usual, probably because it was 35 degrees. The 15.89 was up around 860 FPS, which was also a bit low.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love

Nothing great, but for now, I will submit the 189-10X for the Revere. I have not focused on 30Y Masters for a while, but there are no "gimmie's" here either for me.

p.s. Martin is starting on my new RAW .177 TM1000X in March. Can't wait to get it out and try some of these cards. Never had a .177 before, so this will be really new for me.

View attachment 438570

View attachment 438571
Hello @tommyb

Very nice cards with any kind of wind conditions (y)

Cannot wait for your new RAW and see some great shooting with the .177, you will have a ton of fun with that rifle :D

ThomasT

My yard is like a gateway to the animal kingdom. I’ve had to wait for flocks of 20+ wild turkeys to clear my range. I’ve had baby foxes run into me while chasing each other while I’m setting up targets. Crazy giant woodpeckers working like chainsaws, skunks, racoons, hawks - you name it, it’s interfering with my “backyard range”, lol.
Life on the Serengeti!

My backyard backs up to a woods also, and Ed is right. Lots of wild life. Tom shoots a squirrel, then Red Shinned Hawk waits for a second, then pounces on the new dinner.

Racoons, loads of deer, fox, possums, skunks, and unwanted coyotes. Wish I could shoot 30Y targets, but need to go to the range for that.

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7896.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

Hello @tommyb

Very nice cards with any kind of wind conditions (y)

Cannot wait for your new RAW and see some great shooting with the .177, you will have a ton of fun with that rifle :D

ThomasT
Thank You Thomas! I hope my fat fingers can get the really small .177 pellet into the bore. No SST, but I know the breech area is very generous.

• Haha

Leaderboard Update - submissions through Feb 22, 2024

Notable:

Glad to see you gentlemen getting lead downrange throughout these cold months!

Congrats to mreynolds for his awesome 200 19X 30-Masters card – so close to perfection !!

Congrats to Ed and Greg on their 198 30-Masters submissions this month (both used FX rifles).

Iron Man award to TommyB for his 194 30-Masters submission - shot on Valentines Day !

Congrats to JimmyD for getting some .25 caliber on the 30-Challenge leaderboard!

Observation - we are seeing more scopes above 24x when shooting at this tiny target… at both 30 and 40 yard distances. It seems that more magnification is helping to generate some higher scores. Its only February and we already have some excellent 40-Challenge and 40-Masters scores on the leaderboard 36x and higher certainly helps at 40.

I’m still keeping the 2023 scores on these boards - until we build out the 2024 boards a bit more.

-Ed

52331C1C-3A51-41F6-9C24-FC16717A1AB4.jpeg

070FA9C4-82FB-4BF8-8E71-B81374524FBF.jpeg

BCF9D624-F3C5-4A3B-837C-1DB32D803FB0.jpeg
315D9855-F0F0-41DA-B9E3-FFF4F15538A7.jpeg
4187E183-C028-47B1-8305-10D52753FAE5.jpeg

Reactions: alpineboard

I had my new Garmin Chrony measuring the Revere 18.1 G and it was lower than usual, probably because it was 35 degrees. The 15.89 was up around 860 FPS, which was also a bit low.

View attachment 438570

View attachment 438571

Hi Tommy - I will add this submission for 30-Masters to the next leaderboard update in March.

Reactions: tommyb
Leaderboard submissions for EPG from today (Feb 23rd):

197 15X - 30-Masters - RTI Prophet .177
196 13X - 30-Challenge - RTI Prophet .177
195 12X - 30-Masters - FX Crown Mk2 .22

It was a balmy 43 degrees here so I shot 5 cards. It was wet and raw weather - I got wet ass sitting on my deck chair scoring a card, lol. Can’t wait for some 50+ degree weather.

After I shot the 197 Masters as my first card of the day, I grabbed a 30-Challenge card figuring I’d go for 200. Instead I shot 192 10X. The 197 card almost didn’t need a scoring plug as I was knocking out the center of the 10-ring. Then I shoot 192 on a Challenge card that allows mulligans. How does this happen? I didn’t touch the rifle between cards. The mystery of air rifles, lol.

Ended the day with a 188 7X 40-Masters card with the Crown. I lost 5 points on the first row - because scope wasn’t completely rezeroed after shooting 30-Masters card immediately before. So, I’m pretty happy with the 188 as it was also dusk and getting tough to see well.

-Ed

IMG_3979.jpeg

IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

Hi Guys,
Got a chance to shoot a couple of cards while it was just misting, before the rain came. Shot a 191-10x and a196-13x with the Nordic Wolf Crown in .22 with a 500mm barrel. The tune with that barrel is at a much lower reg pressure than with the 380mm and shoots the 18.1 gr FX pellets a bit faster. Seem to be right on in the accuracy department. The 2nd card is my best to date entry for the 40 yd Challenge. It is too bad that my two mulligans' blocks (2 and 3) were both 19X's. Oh well, will keep trying.

Cheers,
Greg
1708734084306.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EPG
Ooops! When going over my latest card to enter in my analysis spreadsheet I realized I had not correctly scored right target of group 7. It should be a 10 and not an X. But the overall score doesn't change because I will just make 7 and 4 my Mulligans.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg, your card may be the best 40-Challenge card that we’ve ever had in our challenge.

You shot 234/240 14X across 24 targets. Completely awesome - congrats!!

It’s better than my 200 14X card. Although admittedly I completely lost focus on Target Pair #12 as I already knew I had shot 200.

I believe the best 40 yard card submitted to date is the 198 40-Masters card I shot. Started and ended with 9’s - with 17/18 Xs in between - that session was surreal.

Attaching some of my best 40 yard cards for comparison. I had a few 198 40-Challenge cards with my Crown - can’t locate all the photos right now.

So now that you have your Crown shooting so well at 40 yards… we all wanna know why its up for sale !!

-Ed

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3986.jpeg

Greg, your card may be the best 40-Challenge card that we’ve ever had in our challenge.

You shot 234/240 14X across 24 targets. Completely awesome - congrats!!

It’s better than my 200 14X card. Although admittedly I completely lost focus on Target Pair #12 as I already knew I had shot 200.

I believe the best 40 yard card submitted to date is the 198 40-Masters card I shot. Started and ended with 9’s - with 17/18 Xs in between - that session was surreal.

Attaching some of my best 40 yard cards for comparison. I had a few 198 40-Challenge cards with my Crown - can’t locate all the photos right now.

So now that you have your Crown shooting so well at 40 yards… we all wanna know why its up for sale !!

-Ed

View attachment 438882

View attachment 438883

View attachment 438884
Thanks Ed! Love the friendly competition!

As for selling the Nordic Wolf Crown - I've had a deal with my wife for our 46 years together that I would limit my spending on my "current passions". So once it was surfing, then bicycle racing, then triathlons, then backpacking, then youth soccer, then... sailing... auto racing,..., furniture making,... now Field Target and air rifles. So I am only keeping two rifles at a time. I have a .177 Crown MkII in Green Mountain GRS set up for Field Target that is a gem. I won't be touching that as it is tuned perfectly and is shooting spot on. The Nordic Wolf was going to be my hunting, 50yd and 100 yd benchrest rifle. It is tracking to be there. Then I got a chance to buy an FX King in .22 500mm with the Brown GRS stock. Can't pass it up as it is a really good deal. So the NW Crown has to go. Though I think if no one buys it right away she won't have a problem with me playing with it while it is on sale. ;)

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Again,
Kind of a cold windy day so I practice Field Target instead of shooting TYC cards. That was until about 4:30pm. I noticed the wind had died down and there was still some sun on my range. So, I quickly got out the Nordic Wolf Crown and shot a 40 yd Masters Card (actually a card that says 30yd Masters shot at 40 yards). Started out great, 2 x's, 2 10's and a 9 in the first five shots. As I was bringing the crosshairs on to the new target, finger on the trigger, my dog jumped up from his spot next to me and went after a rabbit - hitting me on the way by. So the shot between set 3 and 4 is that. Now I knew this wouldn't count for real, so the pressure was off and I just shot the rest of the target. Without pressure got 6 X's in the next 8, then had to reload my magazine. Duah! (in my best Homer Simpson). Should have put in the single shot loader to finish. Oh well, I think this just indicated what that rifle is ready to do. I will try again when tomorrow, maybe I will get so light winds.
Cheers,
Greg
40 yd Masters 2-25-24.jpg

Reactions: JimD