30-Yard Challenge

Finally got some weather to shoot today. We had 5 inches of snow, then it melted, then a windstorm - all in the past week.

Put a new tune on the FX Dreamline PowerPup (currently using 500mm .22 barrel).

Its been shooting FX 18.13s very accurately at 895fps. Tune#1 at 100bar only gave about 65 shots. Tune#2 at 140bar gave 118 shots. This is Tune#3 at 120bar (hard to tell exactly via FX reg gauge). I’m getting at least 100 shots per fill, rifle is very quiet and stable with this tune.

I’m really liking the trigger setup I did with this - my best trigger setup of my three FX rifles- 4.8 ounces with 2 stages.

Despite it being a bit breezy, I shot
195 9X - 40-Yard Challenge
194 7X - 40-Yard Masters

I guess these are leaderboard submissions for 2024 - new year.

Breeze was turning some Xs into 10s, but vertical was pretty consistent.

I think I can score really high at 40 yards with this rifle and trigger setup. Check out the 40 yard 5-shot groups I was getting after dialing in velocity with power wheel - sub-1/2” groups with a breeze. The last group would have been 1/4” but 5th shot widened it, lol.

The 195 9X was shot across 2 different tins of FX 18.13s. I took no sighters after opening 2nd tin mid-card. First shot from new tin was a 10 - so I’m impressed with consistency of these FX pellets.

-Ed

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_3657.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3652.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg

Finally got some weather to shoot today. We had 5 inches of snow, then it melted, then a windstorm - all in the past week.

Put a new tune on the FX Dreamline PowerPup (currently using 500mm .22 barrel).

Its been shooting FX 18.13s very accurately at 895fps. Tune#1 at 100bar only gave about 65 shots. Tune#2 at 140bar gave 118 shots. This is Tune#3 at 120bar (hard to tell exactly via FX reg gauge). I’m getting at least 100 shots per fill, rifle is very quiet and stable with this tune.

I’m really liking the trigger setup I did with this - my best trigger setup of my three FX rifles- 4.8 ounces with 2 stages.

Despite it being a bit breezy, I shot
195 9X - 40-Yard Challenge
194 7X - 40-Yard Masters

I guess these are leaderboard submissions for 2024 - new year.

Breeze was turning some Xs into 10s, but vertical was pretty consistent.

I think I can score really high at 40 yards with this rifle and trigger setup. Check out the 40 yard 5-shot groups I was getting after dialing in velocity with power wheel - sub-1/2” groups with a breeze. The last group would have been 1/4” but 5th shot widened it, lol.

The 195 9X was shot across 2 different tins of FX 18.13s. I took no sighters after opening 2nd tin mid-card. First shot from new tin was a 10 - so I’m impressed with consistency of these FX pellets.

-Ed

View attachment 424301

View attachment 424302

View attachment 424303

View attachment 424304

View attachment 424305

Great 40Y cards. Groups are excellent.

Ed, I think you should wish for snow more often.😝

Leaderboard submissions:

It was a nice sunny day here in CT. It was breezy at 1pm, then the wind died down around 3:30pm.

I shot 4 cards – three wind up being leaderboard submissions:
192 10X : 40-Yard Challenge with FX Power Pup .22 – wind was moderate and shifting (1pm)

198 14X : 30-Yard Masters with FX Power Pup .22 – moved to 30 because of breeze (1pm)

200 16X : 30-Yard Challenge with FX Power Pup .22 – close to still conditions at 3:30pm

200 14X : 40-Yard Challenge with FX Crown Mark2 .22 – close to still conditions at 4:00pm

Yep, I shot back to back 200s at 30 and at 40 yards when I had good conditions today – I’m pretty freakin’ happy!

I documented the heck out of the 40-Yard Challenge 200 – as it is the 1st 200 ever done at 40 yards:

· You can see the laser measured distance of 119.97 feet (green laser accurate to 2mm at 100 yards).

· You can see close ups of the two 10s on target pair #7 – no white showing between plug.

· You can see me so excited that I completely lost my focus on target pair #12, lol !!

· I had Becky take my picture at the target.

I still think my 198 17X 40-Masters with the Crown is the best card I ever shot, but its nice to get a 200 in the 40-Challenge as it allows “mulligans”.

I think I’m getting better every day. The 3.9 ounce trigger I’ve got going on the Power Pup is my best trigger tune yet – love it.

Get some lead downrange – new Leaderboards for 2024 coming !!

-Ed

IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg

IMG_3677.jpeg

IMG_3676.jpeg

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_3668.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
That is some great shooting Ed.
Thanks oledawg.

It was one of those days when you are dialed in. After I shot the 198 Masters at 30 yards with the PowerPup, I almost knew I was going to shoot 200 at 30-Challenge.

But then grabbing a different rifle (Crown) and immediately shooting 200 at 40-Challenge… well, I went out to celebrate and drank plenty of good bourbon that evening, lol.

-Ed

IMG_3681.jpeg

Thanks oledawg.

It was one of those days when you are dialed in. After I shot the 198 Masters at 30 yards with the PowerPup, I almost knew I was going to shoot 200 at 30-Challenge.

But then grabbing a different rifle (Crown) and immediately shooting 200 at 40-Challenge… well, I went out to celebrate and drank plenty of good bourbon that evening, lol.

-Ed

View attachment 425493
Are you planning on shooting any events?

Those are great 40 yard scores, Ed. I can't do that at home, my maximum distance is 35 yards and that requires shooting from my side porch. First 7 yards or so is along the side of the house. My trap is normally on the portable stand at 30 yards these days.

Sunday was rain all day and it was dry but windy yesterday but the wind calmed down pretty well around 4pm today and I shot this target I am calling 192 with 10X. Check out cell 11 and the left target on 8, 9, and 10. Guns shoots well, I was not getting it lined up properly at first and have at least one bad trigger pull in there. I scored this target my normal way for a 25, I used my "pellet on a stick". I used epoxy to attach a large toothpick to a 25 caliber pellet and use it like a scoring gauge. I made this over a year ago. It is definitely not as nice as a scoring gauge but it works. I think Ed said something about using a 22 scoring gauge for 25, I could do that but with a little side pressure I can get the same score. The hole is bigger than the gauge, in other words. There are several close holes in this target.

The biggest reason I wanted to get a target like this shot is to make a decision on my order of a new barrel for this gun. I ordered one in April of this year from Krale who is trying to get it from SPA. I will call them in the morning to see if I can cancel the order. If not it isn't a big deal. I was comfortable that a new barrel was likely to be an improvement when I shot a 155 but once I shot the 177 at the new tune with the 4-14 scope I knew the barrel was not as bad as I thought it was. My tune was the bigger issue. The crown looks terrible but it seems to shoot pretty well. Probably at least as well as my P35-177 - but I need to spend some time tuning the 177. But with a 192 with 10Xs, including a few of what we used to call double Xs I think it is very questionable that a new barrel from SPA will shoot better.

This target is only the second with the 32X Vector Continental scope (first was a 185-5X) on this gun. I have FX 33.95 grain pellets on the way and need to try those. I still do not see this as another 200 shooter but Cell 11 and the left targets on 8, 9, and 10 look pretty good to me.

View attachment 417104
Yea I can only get 35 maybe 37 or 38. Now if I open the front and back doors and set it at the front door shoot through the house and across the driveway I think I can find 40+ plus yards. Some how I think there will be some objections to that plan. Nice shooting in those conditions.

Are you planning on shooting any events?

Yes, I’ll be shooting at the Northeast Airgun Challenge in New Hampshire in April.

Its 100 Yard Benchrest.

I wish they also had 50 yard benchrest - then I could use my .22 Crown.

I’ll have to set up a few of my rifles for 100 yards this winter and then practice at my brother’s 100 yard range - to determine which rifle & caliber I’ll use.

-Ed

Getting tired of shooting groups? Try this game out. You shoot all 24 bulls once at 30 yards. Next, eliminate your two lowest pairs. Then, add up your score, with a Max of 200. My best target using my Vet Long is below, as is the target I used. It would be a really great shooter who could get a 200. The 10 ring is 3.28mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly. Post up your best score and what gun you used!

View attachment 206886

Here are the scoring rules:

If the hole touches the next higher ring, score to the higher ring. Use a pellet, skirt down, if the hole is ragged.

To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring surrounding the black dot.

To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot in the center. (This is different than the instructions on the bottom of the target, due to us shooting at 30-yards)

.177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.

Once you shoot all 24 bulls, you get to eliminate your lowest two sets (mulligans) see the target above how I slashed out my two lowest pairs.

Score the remaining 20 targets for a Max score of 200. Also add your X's if you have any.

So a perfect score would be 200 20X. Please post up your scores and what rifle you are shooting. Have fun!!

download.png
View attachment 206891
I can't click the link. Where can I go online to get it?

Hi Guys!
Shot a couple of cards today even though it was 29 degrees outside. I did that by shooting out my bedroom window. Thought that would be great as it lines up well with my normal shooting position on the back patio. What I failed to think about was the effect of trying to shoot from a warm room into a cold day. There wasn't much wind so I only can blame a couple of 8's on that. The real problem was miraging in my scopes! The target would drift in and out of focus like I was shooting through a fog.
Anyway, the cards weren't bad. I was using my "shorty" Crown that I put a 380mm .22 barrel in and I was using the FX 18.1 gr versions of the JSB's. I used Ed's recommended Reg pressure (130 bar) and was getting 886 fps average with an SD of 2 and an ES of 7.
So a 194-13X for the 30 yd Masters and a 191-11X for the 40yd Challenge.
Cheers,
Greg
30yd Masters 1-18-24.jpg
40yd Challenge - 1-18-23.jpg

PS - I checked and rechecked the scores with the .22 pin. I think some of the paper folded back into the holes when I took the picture.

Hi Guys!
Shot a couple of cards today even though it was 29 degrees outside. I did that by shooting out my bedroom window. Thought that would be great as it lines up well with my normal shooting position on the back patio. What I failed to think about was the effect of trying to shoot from a warm room into a cold day. There wasn't much wind so I only can blame a couple of 8's on that. The real problem was miraging in my scopes! The target would drift in and out of focus like I was shooting through a fog.
Anyway, the cards weren't bad. I was using my "shorty" Crown that I put a 380mm .22 barrel in and I was using the FX 18.1 gr versions of the JSB's. I used Ed's recommended Reg pressure (130 bar) and was getting 886 fps average with an SD of 2 and an ES of 7.
Cheers,
GregView attachment 426611View attachment 426612
PS - I checked and rechecked the scores with the .22 pin. I think some of the paper folded back into the holes when I took the picture.

Excellent shooting. Those MK2 Crowns in .22 are really accurate.

Hi Guys!
Cheers,
GregView attachment 426611View attachment 426612

Great shooting with the Crown Greg!

Before I add your submissions to the 2024 Leaderboards, I’m going to check with our fellow shooters here on whether we are going to allow shooting out of a warm house…

…I’m sitting on a steel chair literally freezing my a_s off with tenps in the 20s in Connecticut when shooting…your setup doesn’t seem fair, lol

Reactions: NAProf and ThomasT
Great shooting with the Crown Greg!

Before I add your submissions to the 2024 Leaderboards, I’m going to check with our fellow shooters here on whether we are going to allow shooting out of a warm house…

…I’m sitting on a steel chair literally freezing my a_s off with tenps in the 20s in Connecticut when shooting…your setup doesn’t seem fair, lol
Ed,
You should try it. It is amazing how hard it is to pick out the bull at 40 yds with all the miraging.
Oh I forgot to mention that my wife was out of town, so I could move furniture in the bedroom to do the shooting. She gets back tomorrow so my warm sniper hide is going away:cry:.
Cheers,
Greg