• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

1st 27 shots of today- beautiful Friday 65 degrees- took the work day off. You can see my 3 zero shots would have likely been 10s.

Leaderboard Submission:
200 15X
FX Dreamline Classic .177
FX 10.3g @ 901 fps (starting fill pressure 170)
Arken EPL-4 @ 24x

You will note that I had 10 or better on my 1st 19 targets and I knew it. I don’t feel I choked on target #20, but I was thinking about a “Master’s 200” - i.e. only needing 20 shots for 200. I gathered myself on Target Pair #12 to avoid choking away a 200 totally.

Big difference in scores with Dreamline since I increased velocity to 900fps with 10.3g. Also putting pen spring into crappy FX trigger (IMHO) has made the trigger much better for target work - about 6 ounces now and stable.

My 4th 200 with 4 different rifles this year - 2 regulated and 2 unregulated.

-Ed

View attachment 390943

View attachment 390944

View attachment 390945
Hello EPG

More great shooting and I really like the color on that stock.

ThomasT

Reactions: oledawg
Ed, I shoot H&N Baracuda Match at about 900 fps from my P35-177. It likes those a little better than FX 10.3s. The 10.3s are smaller head size and it likes them a bit better. It's not as accurate as your guns but it might be worth trying the H&N Match. They come in .451s but I use the .452s (which are really .453 and .454). But with a 200 you don't really need to change anything.

Greg, that is an impressive target particularly at only 16X. I shot one target with a 4-16 scope on my P35-22 and I think it was a 188. I've shot one 200 with that gun with a 32X scope on it and many 195 or better. At least for my old eyes, I need at least 24X to get the best out of my guns. Scope clarity also makes a difference but I doubt I could get a 195+ with any 16X scope.

Reactions: ThomasT
Hi Guys!

Been a while since I posted, mainly because I have not been able to beat my 199-14x card from a while back. Yesterday I "sort of" managed to beat that. Here is a 199 - 17x. I have restricted my self to shooting with an HFT setup. That is at 20FPE and 16x magnification. So my 13.4gr pellets have a muzzle velocity of about 820 fps and I have to keep my Falcon X50 10-50x60 to 16x. Shooting off a wobbly bench with bipod on front and monopod on butt.

I am impressed with all the really great cards that keep appearing here. Keep up the good stuff. And thanks to EPG for keeping this challenge alive.
Cheers,
Greg

You really have that Crown dialed in at 20 ft/lbs Greg. Your Vertical dispersion on 23 of the 24 targets is about perfect! Just one shot was high - i.e. would have no chance to be a 10.

17X is the highest X count I’ve ever had - think I only did it once or twice, neither was a 200 - but definitely could be considered my best cards ever.

-Ed

Drink slightly less coffee and I’ll bet you hit 200 soon.

Reactions: oledawg
You really have that Crown dialed in at 20 ft/lbs Greg. Your Vertical dispersion on 23 of the 24 targets is about perfect! Just one shot was high - i.e. would have no chance to be a 10.

17X is the highest X count I’ve ever had - think I only did it once or twice, neither was a 200 - but definitely could be considered my best cards ever.

-Ed

Drink slightly less coffee and I’ll bet you hit 200 soon.
IMG_0206.jpeg

Love my coffee, just finished my 1st cup

Weekly TYC Leaderboard Update

This week’s submissions and notables:

• 200 15X - EPG with .177 Dreamline Classic (Almost a Master’s 200 - 1st 19 were 10s)
  • 199 17X - NAProf with .177 FX Crown using only 16x scope magnification
  • 198 14X - EPG with RTI Prophet Performance V1
  • 199 14X - EPG with Reximex Daystar .177 (not a submission as 200 previously)

• EPG shot 190 with two different rifles shooting the 30 Yard Challenge at 40 yards.​
  • Florida_Man has a new rifle coming for the Challenge.​
AGN Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN HoA.jpeg

Keep shooting those targets!

-Ed

• Love
It was so windy here today that I didn’t bother to shoot - watched college football.

But I got trigger stir crazy - so I ventured out into the yard on this blustery day - at the very least I figured I’d zero the Wolverine at 40 yards - to prepare it for the Prophet vs. Wolverine 40 Yard Showdown, lol.

As you can see in the pic, the Wolverine put the first 4 of 5 in a 1/4” group at 40. I used the middle of that group to zero the Sightron and proceeded to hit matchheads with 4 of the next 6 shots…

… so, despite the wind I couldn’t resist shooting a 30 Yard Challenge card at 40 yards.

So how does a rifle that AVERAGES 198 at 30 yards do at 40 yards…?

Well, I shot 190 9X - respectable.

In fairness to the Wolverine, the card was a bit rushed and shooting conditions were not that good. I think I can quickly get this score up to 194 or 195 at 40 yards on a less windy day, but if you have an out-of-spec pellet it shows a lot more at 40 yards. The 1st target on #11 shows that - it even sounded a bit different and dropped low.

This gives me some appreciation of the 50 yard benchrest cards I’ve seen posted by competition shooters!

-Ed

View attachment 389349

View attachment 389350

View attachment 389351
30 yard target shot @ 40 yards defiantly my kind of thinking and doing .

Weekly TYC Leaderboard Update

This week’s submissions and notables:

• 200 15X - EPG with .177 Dreamline Classic (Almost a Master’s 200 - 1st 19 were 10s)
  • 199 17X - NAProf with .177 FX Crown using only 16x scope magnification
  • 198 14X - EPG with RTI Prophet Performance V1
  • 199 14X - EPG with Reximex Daystar .177 (not a submission as 200 previously)

• EPG shot 190 with two different rifles shooting the 30 Yard Challenge at 40 yards.​
  • Florida_Man has a new rifle coming for the Challenge.​
View attachment 391752

View attachment 391753

Keep shooting those targets!

-Ed
I like it that you are shooting several different set up's , different rifles and scopes , wonderl job , sir !

I like it that you are shooting several different set up's , different rifles and scopes , wonderl job , sir !

Thanks,

When I started into shooting air rifles, I also wanted to become proficient at working on them. So I bought a couple less expensive rifles - intending to tear them down, polish them up and make them “better than new” off the shelf.

What I’ve learned as an outcome of that is that you can take a less expensive rifle, and if it has a good barrel, you can polish and tweak it to shoot neck & neck with the higher end rifles.

So, I’ve got rifles from a number of price points, regulated and unregulated, etc… and I’ve got them all shooting pretty good. This Thirty Yard Challenge has helped improve my shooting immensely. It has also helped me improve my rifles - as it gives you real measurable results to track. You don’t get that same level of feedback just shooting groups.

-Ed

• Love
Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
So Florida_Man, don’t keep us in suspense…

… What did you order from AoA ?!?
Well i ordered a Notos today, but that is for different purposes. i wanted to replace my much loved rodent pesting PP700 with a magazine platform. It's getting a Pard NV008. I'm sure I will try with it. The other rifle is top secret. Gotta make sure I get a good one.

• Love
Dreamline Classic .177 loves the 901fps speed with the FX 10.3g.

These are the 1st two cards since I shot 200 with it the other day.

198 15X
196 15X

DL is shooting a lotta Xs! The 198 card actually had 17Xs on it - discarded two.

Extremely quiet with Weihrauch moderator - perfect backyard target setup with the .177 caliber - target strikes are noticeably quieter than .22 strikes.

-Ed

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg