30-Yard Challenge

Solid card Ed. 😀

As you know, I have the HW100 in .22 and currently shoot the JSB 18.1’s at 825 FPS. Have shot in the low 190’s, but can’t manage to get into mid/high 190’s so far with the Weihrauch.

Assume you just turned your HST down a bunch and left the reg alone to get to 720 FPS. I think the 100 and 110 both do better at lower velocities, as I recall mine shot pretty good at 775 FPS with the 18.1. My friend Ed has the .177 at 12 FPE, and it shot very well at 30-40 yards. I think he has since tuned it up to 16 FPE.

I think I asked you before, but have you given up on the JSB 15.89’s with your 110? Do you recall what tune/velocity you had with that pellet? I understand you like the Crossman’s, but I forget how your gun did with the 18 and 15.89’s with this challenge?

I need to get back out and shoot some 30 yard cards.

Tom

Hi TommyB,

Well, to arrive at the current 720fps I have done the following:
Changed barrel from 600mm to 410mm
Changed reg pressure from 150 to 90 bar
Installed UK spec hammer spring shuttle.

The UK spec (12 ft/lb) shuttle has a surprising amout of power. I bought it from a UK store at the same time I bought a FAC (US spec) hammer spring shuttle, so I know I have one of eash.

Both the US and UK shuttles have 6.25 total turns of adjustment. I’m close to max on the UK shuttle - I think I’m at 5.5 turns out - so less than 1 turn from max.

My HW110 is my most finicky rifle. It shot 18.13g JSBs best when using it the waynit came new - FAC hammer spring shuttle and 600mm barrel with reg at 150. At those settings I got 40 shots with the 18.13s at 830fps. It shot the 15.89s at 895fps. The problem was it would always throw flyers with that setup. It was frustrating because some groups and targets were outstanding, and then it would throw a shot 1/2” off.

I absolutely love the trigger on the gun, so I figured I’d detune it close to European spec - because perhaps it was “stressed” at 150 bar reg pressure. Its an absolute pleas to shoot, but I have not found a way to get it to shoot above 194.

I thought it might be the barrel, so I bought it the shorter (much shorter) 410mm barrel that comes on the European rifles. This barrel is much more consistent. The gun is also so nice and compact now.

I didn’t have the trigger guard installed, which allowed the action to be loose in the stock - I just reinstalled that this morning after months of shooting without it. I immediately shot 192 with the crazy Crosmans.

I bought it some JSB 13.45 RS pellets, thinking that is the weight they shoot in Europe with .22. I shot a few 193s and a 194 with them, but no higher. I’m going to try them again now that the trigger guard is in place and the action is not moving in the stock. If I don’t break 195 with the 13.45s, I will likely retune for 15.89s. No sense buying special pellets just for the HW110 if they don’t shoot much better than the Crosmans through the rifle.

I think the 15.89s are JSB’s best .22 pellet, so why am I not using them…? I was hoping for a super accurate lower power tune that would get me 90 shots on a fill with the lighter weight pellets. I almost got there, but still can’t consistently hit 194-197…

-Ed

Reactions: drpietrzak
Here is my only card I shot today TommyB.

With this tune - shooting 14.3 Crosman domes I have consecutive 10 shot groups at 30 yards of .36 and .35” ctc. So my HW110 likes this “junk” pellet. Strangely, it does not like the CPHP 14.3s nearly as much - groups not as good. (Red circles on pictures are US dime).

This is my 4th or 5th consecutive 190+ card with the HW110 and the CPUDs - so its not a fluke, it doesn’t throw many flyers with this pellet.

This is a 193 12X - ties my best card to date with the HW110 and CPUDs.

Target pairs #2 and #4 were my fault - I was obviously lining up incorrectly as the left side targets #1 and #3 were both XXs.

Only one “8” on the card on #11 - that’s damn consistent with “Crazy Crosmans”, lol.

My HW110 also shoots the JSB 13.45s and 14.35s very well with this tune - but high score with JSBs is just 194.

Oh, and I took out my grub screws on the barrel band - so now my 410mm barrel free floats.

-Ed

IMG_2579.jpeg

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2573.jpeg

Here is my only card I shot today TommyB.

With this tune - shooting 14.3 Crosman domes I have consecutive 10 shot groups at 30 yards of .36 and .35” ctc. So my HW110 likes this “junk” pellet. Strangely, it does not like the CPHP 14.3s nearly as much - groups not as good. (Red circles on pictures are US dime).

This is my 4th or 5th consecutive 190+ card with the HW110 and the CPUDs - so its not a fluke, it doesn’t throw many flyers with this pellet.

This is a 193 12X - ties my best card to date with the HW110 and CPUDs.

Target pairs #2 and #4 were my fault - I was obviously lining up incorrectly as the left side targets #1 and #3 were both XXs.

Only one “8” on the card on #11 - that’s damn consistent with “Crazy Crosmans”, lol.

My HW110 also shoots the JSB 13.45s and 14.35s very well with this tune - but high score with JSBs is just 194.

Oh, and I took out my grub screws on the barrel band - so now my 410mm barrel free floats.

-Ed

View attachment 376058

View attachment 376059

View attachment 376060

Ed

I think you have your 110 dialed in at 725 FPS based on your tight groups and consistent scoring ( I.e., 190+) with the Crossmans.

I don’t recall seeing any other AGN posts with a.22 Weihrauch HW100/110 shooting pellets in the 720 FPS range, so I think you have found a good solution that optimizes shot count and does not sacrifice accuracy.

Ed

I think you have your 110 dialed in at 725 FPS based on your tight groups and consistent scoring ( I.e., 190+) with the Crossmans.

I don’t recall seeing any other AGN posts with a.22 Weihrauch HW100/110 shooting pellets in the 720 FPS range, so I think you have found a good solution that optimizes shot count and does not sacrifice accuracy.
Ok TommyB, I’ll stick with this tune and see if I can break 195.

With this 16.5 ft/lb tune and the reg at 90 bar, it comes off the reg extremely gradually. I have run shot strings of 120 shots that are all usable - below 30 fps spread - incredible from the tiny cylinder.

I wasn’t sure whether to keep trying to find a “better” tune - perhaps go towards 14 ft/lbs…?

I think the Europeans shoot .177 and 8.4g pellets with these rifles, so that they can get around 800fps with their 12 ft//lb restriction. Since we are shooting .22 with no restrictions, I think my 16.5 ft/lbs is a similar tune to their .177 tune - as it shoots the 13.45g JSB RS pellets at 755fps.

Perhaps sometime we can do a call and discuss these HW100/110 rifles? Lots of thoughts. They get rave reviews in Europe and yet its my lowest scoring gun in this challenge.. even my miracle Umarex Gauntlet shoots 198 - with Crosman 10.5g, lol.

-Ed

Getting tired of shooting groups? Try this game out. You shoot all 24 bulls once at 30 yards. Next, eliminate your two lowest pairs. Then, add up your score, with a Max of 200. My best target using my Vet Long is below, as is the target I used. It would be a really great shooter who could get a 200. The 10 ring is 3.28mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly. Post up your best score and what gun you used!

View attachment 206886

Here are the scoring rules:

If the hole touches the next higher ring, score to the higher ring. Use a pellet, skirt down, if the hole is ragged.

To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring surrounding the black dot.

To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot in the center. (This is different than the instructions on the bottom of the target, due to us shooting at 30-yards)

.177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.

Once you shoot all 24 bulls, you get to eliminate your lowest two sets (mulligans) see the target above how I slashed out my two lowest pairs.

Score the remaining 20 targets for a Max score of 200. Also add your X's if you have any.

So a perfect score would be 200 20X. Please post up your scores and what rifle you are shooting. Have fun!!

download.png
View attachment 206891
How far can most common air guns shoot with accuracy?

Finally got back out to the outdoor range this morning, before it got too hot here in NC.

I shot (4) 30 yard challenge cards; two with the RAW HM1000x .22 and two with my Weihrauch HW100 .22 caliber. A couple of observations on each platform:

RAW .22 is probably my most accurate air rifle in the safe. I decided to clean it with patchworm yesterday, and I am glad I did. Normally, I get two patches with visible lead sediments, and then a couple more wet patches with some black, then two dry patches and the rifle is good to go. Yesterday, I actually got "5" patches with visible lead sediments. I was using a 1 & 1/4" circle patch and it was coming tight through the barrel, so I know I was getting some lead out with the Gunzilla. Shot a 198-15X and a 200-15X, which I will submit for this cycle. I was 'purposely' taking my time between shots and trying to be patient on the wind. It did pay off today. Wind was 2-4 mph, and 0-2 mph at times; tried to shoot when flag was a bit more still. Had a tail wind.

HW100 - Shot (2) cards and wind started picking up one hour into my session. Nothing big, 2-4 mph, tail wind and R-L and L-R at times. My first card was a 192, but the second card ( 186) I admittedly was rushing as I had to pee. Lol... I have a Sightron 3-16X 42 FFP, which is a good solid scope. But, at maximum magnification at 16X, it was difficult for me to judge my holds. As I recall, I was holding between the 10 and 9 ring at 1 o'clock, 3 o'clock and switched back to 7am between 9 and 10 rings. Was having some difficulty with the wind ( had one flag at 6 yards from muzzle ). I am shooting at approximately 825 fps, with the JSB 18.1 pellet.

Minor edit on HW100 - As Ed knows, I have been all over the world on trying to identify optimum velocity for the JSB 18.1 with this rifle. I have chrono'd everything from 775 FPS to 850 FPS, with various ES spreads ( mostly too big ), but I am now at 825 FPS @approximately 115 on the regulator. B4 I left today, I wanted to zero at 30 yards and I shot ONE 5-shot group ( seen in picture below ). .224" CTC, essentially a ragged hole at 30 yards. But like Ed, I may experiment at some future point with lowering my HST back into the low to mid 700 - 750 range and try the Crossmans and get a better shot count. Why would I do this, I have no idea!! Ha Ha, thought you would like that Ed! :)

Next outing with the 30Y challenge the FX Royale 400 .22 with my Leupold 6.5X20X40 EFR duplex reticle goes up against the Revere .22. This should be good.

Tom

IMG_9529.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

IMG_9526.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EPG and mreynolds
Hello Shooters,
I started this thread last year after becoming curious how good (or bad) my scores were on this target format that I invested in my backyard. It has blown me away that the thread is still alive, and is up to 74 pages! This spring I got burned out on airgunning and shifted into another hobby, flying R/C gliders. In order for this thread to run effectively, I need to ask for a volunteer to take over as manager. The manager answers general scoring questions and posts the leaderboard periodically. If anyone is interested, please message me and I can provide you with more information, and the leaderboard files. Thank you to everyone who submitted a score in the 30-Yard Challenge! --Tom

Finally got back out to the outdoor range this morning, before it got too hot here in NC.

I shot (4) 30 yard challenge cards; two with the RAW HM1000x .22 and two with my Weihrauch HW100 .22 caliber. A couple of observations on each platform:

RAW .22 is probably my most accurate air rifle in the safe. I decided to clean it with patchworm yesterday, and I am glad I did. Normally, I get two patches with visible lead sediments, and then a couple more wet patches with some black, then two dry patches and the rifle is good to go. Yesterday, I actually got "5" patches with visible lead sediments. I was using a 1 & 1/4" circle patch and it was coming tight through the barrel, so I know I was getting some lead out with the Gunzilla. Shot a 198-15X and a 200-15X, which I will submit for this cycle. I was 'purposely' taking my time between shots and trying to be patient on the wind. It did pay off today. Wind was 2-4 mph, and 0-2 mph at times; tried to shoot when flag was a bit more still. Had a tail wind.

HW100 - Shot (2) cards and wind started picking up one hour into my session. Nothing big, 2-4 mph, tail wind and R-L and L-R at times. My first card was a 192, but the second card ( 186) I admittedly was rushing as I had to pee. Lol... I have a Sightron 3-16X 42 FFP, which is a good solid scope. But, at maximum magnification at 16X, it was difficult for me to judge my holds. As I recall, I was holding between the 10 and 9 ring at 1 o'clock, 3 o'clock and switched back to 7am between 9 and 10 rings. Was having some difficulty with the wind ( had one flag at 6 yards from muzzle ). I am shooting at approximately 825 fps, with the JSB 18.1 pellet.

Minor edit on HW100 - As Ed knows, I have been all over the world on trying to identify optimum velocity for the JSB 18.1 with this rifle. I have chrono'd everything from 775 FPS to 850 FPS, with various ES spreads ( mostly too big ), but I am now at 825 FPS @approximately 115 on the regulator. B4 I left today, I wanted to zero at 30 yards and I shot ONE 5-shot group ( seen in picture below ). .224" CTC, essentially a ragged hole at 30 yards. But like Ed, I may experiment at some future point with lowering my HST back into the low to mid 700 - 750 range and try the Crossmans and get a better shot count. Why would I do this, I have no idea!! Ha Ha, thought you would like that Ed! :)

Next outing with the 30Y challenge the FX Royale 400 .22 with my Leupold 6.5X20X40 EFR duplex reticle goes up against the Revere .22. This should be good.

Tom

View attachment 376191

View attachment 376192

View attachment 376193

Damn, good shooting TommyB!

There is RAW for sale in the classifieds, but I think its a .25 caliber. Your 200 makes me want one.

I’m gonna shoot a HW110 target with CPUDs now - in the heat. I’m feeling like I can get to 195 with a little luck from the Crazy Crosmans…. the domes have milder flyers that the CPHPs in my HW110…

-Ed

Here are my two cards from tonight…
Weihrauch HW110 shooting 14.3g Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum (CPUD) domes at 725fps.

191 10X and 194 8X

The 194 ties my high score with the HW110 with any pellet to date.

My last 5 cards (4 different days) with the HW110 using CPUDs:

192 12X
193 12X
192 10X
191 10X
194 8X

That’s a consistent result. So we can say that this HW110 consistently shoots low 190s with Crosman Premier 14.3g domes.

Its nice having a rifle that is really quiet that shoots inexpensive Crosman pellets well enough to actually target shoot.

Now should I be satisfied and stick with this tune, or try to find a 195+ pellet and tune for this HW110, hmmm.
-Ed

IMG_2586.jpeg

Hello Shooters,
I started this thread last year after becoming curious how good (or bad) my scores were on this target format that I invested in my backyard. It has blown me away that the thread is still alive, and is up to 74 pages! This spring I got burned out on airgunning and shifted into another hobby, flying R/C gliders. In order for this thread to run effectively, I need to ask for a volunteer to take over as manager. The manager answers general scoring questions and posts the leaderboard periodically. If anyone is interested, please message me and I can provide you with more information, and the leaderboard files. Thank you to everyone who submitted a score in the 30-Yard Challenge! --Tom
Hello @tcarlson777

You have done a wonderful job and have supplied so many of us, as Forum Members, a place to engage in and be a part of. Thank you, (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

ThomasT

Hello Shooters,

Hi Fellow TYC Shooters,

I’ve volunteered to take over for Tom Carlson running this thread. I’m pretty good with Excel, so I’ll compile where we are with the leaderboard and post an update sometime this week…

… in the meantime, KEEP SHOOTING FOR THAT 200, lol.

-Ed

I’m very happy with this, thought I would share here…

I cooked up a “40 Yard Challenge” for myself. .13” (1/8”) X-ring, .25” (1/4”) 10-ring, .50” (1/2”) 9-ring. Any shot hitting outside the 9-ring scores as a 7.

Today is the 1st card shot with my RTI Prophet Performance V1 .22. Its set up for 100 yards - shooting 25.4g MRDs at 912fps. So I thought I’d see how my 100 yard “tune” worked at 40 yards (laser measured from front of bench to a millimeter)…

In breezy conditions, I shot this 247 19X ! Straight from the tin as I always do with no sighters once the card starts.

My previous best was 241 15X with a Daystate Huntsman Regal .22 with AA 15.89g.

I shot a 5-shot group prior to the card at 45 yards and it measured .23” ctc - so it seems 912fps is a good speed for the MRDs - reg is only at 120 bar.

I’ve got .25 and .30 barrels for my Prophets when shooting 100 yards - but perhaps I’ll give the .22 MRDs another try at 100.

I spaced the targets far apart on this 40-yard challenge card - as moving the rifle aim point quite a bit between shots seems to add to the challenge.

-Ed

IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2592.jpeg

IMG_2593.jpeg

I find results at longer distances interesting but I can only shoot at 35 yards or less at home. I'll probably visit a range within the next week to make sure I understand where my guns hit at longer range but those trips are rare for me. That is an attractive feature of the 30 yard challenge for me. Need to shoot some more targets but it's a bit windy today. Also hot and humid here. Just finished a new windage screw adjust for my monopod I need to try on that target. Seems to work fine on my home made "know your limits" swinging targets.

Shot (2) 30Y challenge cards today with HW100. One was awful, the other ---- :)

Ed - I know you took over the reigns from Tom. I will submit the 198-15X to the leader board for the HW100 .22 using the 18.1 g pellet; scope used was Sightron 4X16X42 SFP. Also will submit the RAW 200-15X (shot earlier in the week) using the Midas Tac 6X25X50 with the JSB 25.39 RD

I think I am discovering something that may be helping me. I always zero at 30 yards and take a couple of sighters before I go to shoot a real card. I noticed after shooting the 188 ( first card ) today, that I felt my zero was not as good as it should have been when I started. As an example, for my first card I used a 1- shot zero that was not quite on the X-dot within the 10 ring. I figured it was close enough, and that I will adjust when I hold shooting the real card.

Before I shot the 2nd card, I zero'd again, only this time I waited for very quiet wind and took three sighters and hit the X dot on my practice card each time. Now I was confident that I had a really good zero, and proceeded to shoot the 2nd card, which was my best ever with the HW100. I also had a good read on the wind holds with this card.

May be a coincidence, but it seemed to work for me. In any case, I am going to start by shooting two or three 'zero shots' that essentially are one hole before I call that zero good. Then I will start my real card.

IMG_9545.jpg

Reactions: drpietrzak
LEADERBOARD UPDATE:

Shooters, the last leaderboard update was posted in April - Page 65 in this thread.

I’ve gone through page by page and believe I’ve captured all leaderboard submissions in this update. If I missed any, please let me know. I even guesstimated the number of “X”s for submissions that didn’t include it.

In the spirit of AGN information sharing, we have expanded the leaderboard data to capture additional information regarding pellet type, velocity, scope and magnification used. If you have this info from previous submissions, let me know and I’ll update the board.

The objective of this data is to help fellow shooters “tune” and setup their rifles to maximum accuracy at 30 yards.

Rules for Thirty Yard Challenge (TYC):
.177 or .22
.25 if it's all ya got… “unofficial”, lol
.30 or bigger - go shoot some elephants…

If your rifle has both .177 and .22 barrel kits, you can submit for each caliber.

30 yard distance is measured from front of shooting bench. You are trying to hit a match head sized bullseye at 30 yards, so a couple yards matters - measure your distance accurately.

Scoring is with a .22 scoring plug. If plug touches edge of scoring ring, you score the higher ring.

There is a scoring plug available at Freeland Sports if you don’t have one. The one I use (also available in .177):

Another option from Freeland:

If ya got a springer, dust it off & shoot a TYC card and submit results. 30 yards is a great distance for springers - challenging. We need more springer results.

Finally, yeah I shot a 198 with a Gauntlet Gen 1 using Crosman 10.5s straight from the tin, lol. Shot 196, 198 and 197 consecutively. Have not shot it since. Felt like the Priest in Caddyshack that day - perfect round. Feels good to see it on our leaderboard!!

If you have suggestions, let me know.

-Ed

AGN Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN Springer Leaderboard.jpeg

Last edited:
LEADERBOARD UPDATE:

Shooters, the last leaderboard update was posted in April - Page 65 in this thread.

I’ve gone through page by page and believe I’ve captured all leaderboard submissions in this update. If I missed any, please let me know. I even guesstimated the number of “X”s for submissions that didn’t include it.

In the spirit of AGN information sharing, we have expanded the leaderboard data to capture additional information regarding pellet type, velocity, scope and magnification used. If you have this info from previous submissions, let me know and I’ll update the board.

The objective of this data is to help fellow shooters “tune” and setup their rifles to maximum accuracy at 30 yards.

Rules for Thirty Yard Challenge (TYC):
.177 or .22
.25 if it's all ya got… “unofficial”, lol
.30 or bigger - go shoot some elephants…

If your rifle has both .177 and .22 barrel kits, you can submit for each caliber.

30 yard distance is measured from front of shooting bench. You are trying to hit a match head sized bullseye at 30 yards, so a couple yards matters - measure your distance accurately.

Scoring is with a .22 scoring plug. If plug touches edge of scoring ring, you score the higher ring.

There is a scoring plug available at Freeland Sports if you don’t have one. The one I use (also available in .177):

Another option from Freeland:

If ya got a springer, dust it off & shoot a TYC card and submit results. 30 yards is a great distance for springers - challenging. We need more springer results.

Finally, yeah I shot a 198 with a Gauntlet Gen 1 using Crosman 10.5s straight from the tin, lol. Shot 196, 198 and 197 consecutively. Have not shot it since. Felt like the Priest in Caddyshack that day - perfect round. Feels good to see it on our leaderboard!!

If you have suggestions, let me know.

-Ed

View attachment 377968

View attachment 377969

Good update Ed. Thanks for updating the Leader board!

Your Gauntlet shot very well!