30-Yard Challenge

I think this 194, 11X is one point better than my previous best with my P35-177. I finished it's mahogany stock yesterday and shot 4 targets with it today. The first was a 172! I was messing with the scope and doing other non-productive things. Then I shot a 192. Then a 189. Finally a few minutes ago I shot this 194. If the stock helped I think it would mainly be that it fits me better. I have extra large hands and the plastic stock the P35 comes with is not really sized for extra large hands. I put on a 1 inch spacer to give me more length of pull but it's still less than I prefer. So when I make a stock, I make what I want. The wood for the stock came from old church pews. They were being thrown away so I salvaged some wood. It is not as thick as necessary so I glued up three pieces.

P35-177 194 11X in new mahogany stock.jpg

mahogany stock.jpg

mahogany stock closeup.jpg

Jeff,

That is damn fine shooting with a springer. You are motivating me to try my Weihrauch HW97 .177 on the 30 Yard Challenge!

-Ed
The group I shoot with are about even with 97s and TXs. We are all about the same in ability and winning is passed around between about 8 guys who all shoot very well and are competitive. You must be on top of your game to get in the money. We shoot for score, groups, and paper silhouttes. We also have several break barrel guys who step up if we let down. Our matches are not for the faint of heart. Several of us also shoot a lot of PB benchrest.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPG
Had time to shoot two Challenge cards tonight. Shot the Dreamline .177 well (195 14x) so I then tried my .22 Cayden with a new tin of pellets - 184 5x is not a stellar score for the Cayden.

It was interesting that I was getting up and down PoI impact changes - unusual for my trusty Cayden. Probably was the trigger puller as I had not shot the Cayden in a couple weeks.

IMG_2182.jpeg

Had time to shoot two Challenge cards tonight. Shot the Dreamline .177 well (195 14x) so I then tried my .22 Cayden with a new tin of pellets - 184 5x is not a stellar score for the Cayden.

It was interesting that I was getting up and down PoI impact changes - unusual for my trusty Cayden. Probably was the trigger puller as I had not shot the Cayden in a couple weeks.

View attachment 354782
That couple of weeks will get you, every time.

Reactions: ThomasT
That couple of weeks will get you, every time.

Lol Jeff, yep I agree.

I’m up to 9 PCPs and 1 Springer, and I like to shoot them all. I know I’d be more consistent if I just shot 1.

But I’m having a blast, and that’s what its all about. Plus it doesn’t beat my body all to hell like 40 years of tournament tennis did.

The rifles all have their own “personality”, I definitely think they are females…

-Ed

I got outside to shoot 1 card at lunch.

I submit this card for the leaderboard.

Reximex Daystar .177 (essentially a .177 caliber Benjamin Cayden - identical internally).

194 11x on a very breezy day. I’ve continued to tune the hammer spring - recently dropped it to 2.60” (probably 2.50” is optimal).

Not bad for a $450 “bargain” rifle bought from AGN classifieds. (Of course it didn’t shoot like this when I got it).

-Ed

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2195.jpeg

IMG_2194.jpeg

Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
Went to the outdoor range this morning to do a 'final' tune on my HW100 .22 Laminate Carbine before I trade it in to AoA for a new .177. I have been struggling for quite a while to identify an acceptable velocity for both the JSB 18.1 and 15.89 pellets. I was shooting at 30 yards with the FX Radar Chrono and the 15.89 was flying at about 880 FPS and the 18.1 around 825 FPS. Wind was light, and although I did not measure, the groups were pretty good.

You would think this is for spite, but I finally found a pretty good velocity for both and now I am trading it in. I only shot 5-shot groups this morning, because it took me a couple of hours with fine HST adjustments to get it where I want it. I love the HW100 platform, but I really want my first .177 for backyard squirrels and 30- yard BR challenge.

Tom

HW100 15.89 @ 30 yards.jpg

HW100 18.1 @ 30 yards.jpg

IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

• Love
Went to the outdoor range this morning to do a 'final' tune on my HW100 .22 Laminate Carbine before I trade it in to AoA for a new .177. I have been struggling for quite a while to identify an acceptable velocity for both the JSB 18.1 and 15.89 pellets. I was shooting at 30 yards with the FX Radar Chrono and the 15.89 was flying at about 880 FPS and the 18.1 around 825 FPS. Wind was light, and although I did not measure, the groups were pretty good.

You would think this is for spite, but I finally found a pretty good velocity for both and now I am trading it in. I only shot 5-shot groups this morning, because it took me a couple of hours with fine HST adjustments to get it where I want it. I love the HW100 platform, but I really want my first .177 for backyard squirrels and 30- yard BR challenge.

Tom

View attachment 355050

View attachment 355051

View attachment 355052

View attachment 355053

View attachment 355054
Wow, that’s a beautiful HW100 - and you’ve got it dialed in on velocity now!!

Second card of day topped the 1st one - submitting for leaderboard with Reximex Daystar .177 - a 196 12X

Shot Target #11 last and rushed it - as I had to run to a meeting. Damn! I also held for wing on right target on #4 and breeze died… this could easily have been a 198 or 199 even!!

I filled to 205 bar (max is 250 bar). 57 shots and at 155 bar. So using about 13psi per shot - efficiency better and shot string flatter with 2.60” hammer spring. This gun is unregulated and I’ve made no scope adjustments and have not held high or low over 57 shots today - shot 194 and 196! I’ve got too many $1500+ rifles, lol - all ya need is a Daystar and some elbow grease (and a Dremmel) to polish it up…

-Ed

IMG_2197.jpeg

I finished my cherry stock for my P35-22 but my first three targets with it are not as good as several from the plastic stock so it doesn't seem to be helping (or hurting in my estimation). For those interested, the gun is on my dining room table that also has a cherry top. Cherry is light pinkish color until exposed to sunlight. Then it becomes a deeper red. The darkening process occurs gradually over months.

I thought some of you might be interested in the attached target. It is only a 196, I have shot as high as 199 with this gun, but the interesting thing is it has all 9s or Xs, no 10s or lower scores. Even the targets I did not count are 9s. 196 with 16Xs. So 160 points come from the 16Xs and the four 9s I had to use raise it to 196. Not important but an interesting quirk. This is the best target so far in the new stock. Now if I could eliminate the boo boos.... 9s are not terrible shots but the gun will obviously do better if I can get more consistent. Fun to shoot a gun that regularly (although not always) touches the X.

P35 cherry stock.jpg

P35-22 196 16X.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and EPG
I have a question on scoring . I noticed that when guys break into the 9 ring they score a 10. Is that right ?

View attachment 356344

I’m shooting .177 and using a .22 scoring plug - which is specifed in the rules for this challenge.

My scoring plug actually has a magnifying lens, so if the plug touches the 10 ring - its a 10.

In 100 yard benchrest, sometimes they use a .35 scoring plug - so you have to score using the specified instrument.

I see the hole is bigger with a pellet in there on some of mine. First try with .22 Taipan Vet standard. And a light breeze small gusts.
Things can only get better . Was still fun , and man there's some good shooters here that know their equipment .

View attachment 356348

Yep, when you 1st start shooting this challenge, you think “30 yards, no problem - I’m shooting good groups at 45 yards…”

Then you realize that groups mean poop when it comes to accuracy - the ability to hit a pin head at 30 yards on 24 straight targets.

This challenge is great for really improving your shooting. You learn to make tiny adjustments shot-to-shot to hit an incredibly small target. Its MUCH more challenging than shooting a tight 5 shot group. Reading the wind becomes very important - a breeze can easily push a “10” to an “8” in this challenge. Grip pressure, alignment of your eye on the scope, trigger technique, staying focused on the target through follow through after releasing the shot, breathing technique - it all makes a difference when improving from 180 to 190 to 195 to even higher…

I was looking over my 2023 targets last night versus my best scores in 2022. I've shot 14 targets in 2023 with my P35-22 that have higher scores than my best 2022 target. I've shot 19 targets with my P35-177 that have higher scores than my best I shot with that gun in 2022. Best score with the 22 has improved from 194-9X to 199-14X. The 177 has gone from 184-6X to 194-11X. So I'm getting better. Same bench, both years. I used bipods, I think the same one both years. I added a monopod this year but I think I shoot as well with a rear bag, I just find the monopod more convenient. I think the biggest improvement is with me. I think the biggest room for improvement is still me.

I finished my cherry stock for my P35-22 but my first three targets with it are not as good as several from the plastic stock so it doesn't seem to be helping (or hurting in my estimation). For those interested, the gun is on my dining room table that also has a cherry top. Cherry is light pinkish color until exposed to sunlight. Then it becomes a deeper red. The darkening process occurs gradually over months.

I thought some of you might be interested in the attached target. It is only a 196, I have shot as high as 199 with this gun, but the interesting thing is it has all 9s or Xs, no 10s or lower scores. Even the targets I did not count are 9s. 196 with 16Xs. So 160 points come from the 16Xs and the four 9s I had to use raise it to 196. Not important but an interesting quirk. This is the best target so far in the new stock. Now if I could eliminate the boo boos.... 9s are not terrible shots but the gun will obviously do better if I can get more consistent. Fun to shoot a gun that regularly (although not always) touches the X.

View attachment 356305

View attachment 356306
Jim, the new stock is top notch. The shooting ain't bad either.

Thanks Nattboy. Right after I wrote my last comment I went out to my shooting bench and shot a 178! It was my 177 shooting a pellet I haven't done better than 190 with but still.... This game can be humbling. I had to try that again and shot a 184 this morning and a 189 a few minutes ago. But you only have to let down a little bit on a few shots and your score will not be very satisfying.

I’m shooting .177 and using a .22 scoring plug - which is specifed in the rules for this challenge.

My scoring plug actually has a magnifying lens, so if the plug touches the 10 ring - its a 10.

In 100 yard benchrest, sometimes they use a .35 scoring plug - so you have to score using the specified instrument.
For those that don't have scoring plugs, you can get them from Freeland's Sports website (TCarlson777 hooked me up with them). I got a .177 and a .22 plug. Really nice kit.
Cheers,
Greg