30-Yard Challenge

Hello everyone,

Perfect morning for shooting and I shot a near perfect General target at 25-yards and several more good ones. I decided to set up the 30 yard range and shoot a 30-Yard Challenge target. Well I choked up on this target and lost my mo-jo but wound up with a score of 192 with 8 X’s. So I offer this card as the first with the Brocock Commander XR and hope to have a better one soon to offer, @tcarlson777

ThomasT

BCXR.3.jpg

Good card ‘T!’

Looks like there was a right to left light wind possibly as I looked at some of your bulls. Your pellet holes were left of the 10 ring and catching some 9’s. No ‘8’s or 7’s !

Brocock .22 ?
Hello @tommyb

You are correct, wind had picked up quite a bit from my start this morning and it was almost 90 degrees to my target. Some how I got into a 9 - 10, 9 - 10, 9 - 10 rhythm :ROFLMAO:. It is a .177 caliber, come on Tommy you know me :).

ThomasT

Hello @tommyb

You are correct, wind had picked up quite a bit from my start this morning and it was almost 90 degrees to my target. Some how I got into a 9 - 10, 9 - 10, 9 - 10 rhythm :ROFLMAO:. It is a .177 caliber, come on Tommy you know me :).

ThomasT

Oops! I just re-examined your card. Says .177 right where it should be. 😏

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello @tcarlson777

Good shooting conditions and I had a good shoot at the 30-Yard Challenge this morning and best my last card by shooting a 200 score with 16-X's. Tom I would like to submit this card using my Brocock Commander XR .177 caliber.

ThomasT
BCXR.4.jpg

Hello @tcarlson777

Good shooting conditions and I had a good shoot at the 30-Yard Challenge this morning and best my last card by shooting a 200 score with 16-X's. Tom I would like to submit this card using my Brocock Commander XR .177 caliber.

ThomasT
View attachment 350864
You know you are shooting well, when one of your 'mulligan's' is a 10 and an "X" and you have to throw that one away. Great card T.

• Haha
Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
You know you are shooting well, when one of your 'mulligan's' is a 10 and an "X" and you have to throw that one away. Great card T.
Hello @tommyb

:p:D:ROFLMAO: You know Tommy, I thought about that and said why in the #$**^ didn't I get that one on the other card that I just shot :mad:. I will start cutting these 10 and Xs off bad cards and past them on other cards 😛, no need to let them go to waste.

ThomasT

Hello @tommyb

:p:D:ROFLMAO: You know Tommy, I thought about that and said why in the #$**^ didn't I get that one on the other card that I just shot :mad:. I will start cutting these 10 and Xs off bad cards and past them on other cards 😛, no need to let them go to waste.

ThomasT

Now you’re talkin.

Re. Your last sentence - This will be a brand new way to obtain more 200’s. Don’t think Tom C will go for this though.😉

• Haha
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
@ThomasT - Great shooting! Another gun, another 200. You really have your system of setting up the rifle and getting the most out of it down to a science.
Hello @tcarlson777

Well Tom I cannot take any credit on this rifle, AOA did the tune and shipped to me. I took it out of the box and cleaned and oiled it and installed a scope. It has shot great from the get-go and I am just learning how to shoot it.

ThomasT

I've decided to give up on my P35-177 for awhile at least. It's 193 is better than I've shot it recently. Mostly upper 180s. But the first target I shot with my P35-22 on Monday was promising - 194 with 15X. Yesterday it was a little windy when I went to shoot. This morning the weather report says the wind is 8mph but that's still pretty light and I decided to shoot. I scored this card 198 with 15X. That is my best so I'd appreciate my score for this gun being updated. I struggled on the first two cells but I think I got it right. The left cell in one is only barely a 10 but the right cell in two is clearly a 9. I had to move the target right under the light with the plug gauge in it to convince myself the left cell in one is a 10. I need to try this again my normal shooting time of right before sunset when the wind is typically the lightest. I might still get a 200, maybe.

P35-22 198 15X.jpg

Sorry to make more work but this one is one point better, a 199 but with one less X, 14X. Please update, again. This is still my P35-22. The weather here today is like yesterday with rain predicted in the afternoon and clouds pretty much all day. The weather report says wind is 6 mph, less than yesterday, but it seems a bit more at my house. But still low. I'm very pleased with the way this $430 gun shoots. Scope was less than $200 too. $70 bipod and home made monopod. Definitely not "high end" pieces but I did well on the "barrel lottery" on this SPA. The 194 I shot Monday is the lowest I've shot in awhile with this gun. Consistent mid to upper 190s with a 200 still thinkingly possible is more than I could reasonably expect when I bought it. I'm also shooting off my home made portable shooting bench but one recent change was to put the elbow of my trigger arm (left) on the rail of the porch the bench is on. Reduces deflection of the bench and probably wobble a little. I've adjusted the trigger on this gun down to about 4 ounces which is not where I would hunt with it. It doesn't go off on it's own but I think it's very light for a fairly simple trigger mechanism. All the little tweaks to the gun, the setup and the shooter seem to be working.

P35-22 199 14X.jpg

Well I thought I had the conditions I wanted this evening but I think the wind picked up a little as I was shooting this one. Still it was calmer than this morning. I went backwards but it's still a card I would have been thrilled with if I hadn't shot the 198 and 199. This one is 197 with 14X. It even has an 8!. Still using my P35-22.

P35-22 197 14X.jpg

Well, things are clearing up a bit in Southern Indiana. I took the TX200 MKIII (springer) out today for 30 yards first time this season. Awful shooting on my part. Weather was OK, but I was not on this round. I think this about the worst I have posted so far. Far from my 175 to 185 ending last year. Ouch.

TX200 MKIII
AA 8.4 Fields from tin
Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50mm
Bag on bench

75 degrees Fahrenheit
Winds shifting 5 to 12 mph.

Score: 165 (2x) (.22 plug)

16826373070777712204679597701644.jpg

@JEFFPPC - I found this target on another forum and they were shooting it at 10-yards. Once it became boring at 10-yards I stretched back as far as I could in my backyard. I started this thread just out of curiosity if my scores were any good. I had no idea so many people would be interested. The thread is now up to 1,300+ posts.

I shoot from my side porch to get a maximum of just less than 35 yards. So 30 is about the maximum I can shoot in the yard. Shooting from home lets me set up in a few minutes and shoot a target instead of having to load a bunch more stuff in the truck and drive to a range. I need to test my newer guns at longer range and I will soon but I will still mainly shoot at the house. 30 yards is also at least as far as my typical shot on a squirrel.

I shot again this morning despite the wind being reported at 9mph and sun that was in my eyes. I put on a ballcap and shot anyway. So those are my excuses. I shot a 198 with 11X. So my last 4 targets are 198, 199, 197, and 198. I haven't cleaned the barrel in a long time but I'm reluctant to mess with the rifle. The 198 and 199 were shot with pellets I weighed at 21.1 grains and the 197 and second 198 were shot with pellets I weighed at 21 grain. There is also a handfull of pellets from that partial tin that I weighed at 20.9 - maybe one was 20.8. There isn't enough for a full target but I may shoot them just to see how they do. Not sure that weighing to sort the pellets is making a difference. If the light ones are noticably different, however, I will think otherwise. But one point difference in the average score for 21 versus 21.1 grain seems more likely the shooter than the pellets.

So my pursuit of the elusive 200 continues.

I shoot from my side porch to get a maximum of just less than 35 yards. So 30 is about the maximum I can shoot in the yard. Shooting from home lets me set up in a few minutes and shoot a target instead of having to load a bunch more stuff in the truck and drive to a range. I need to test my newer guns at longer range and I will soon but I will still mainly shoot at the house. 30 yards is also at least as far as my typical shot on a squirrel.

I shot again this morning despite the wind being reported at 9mph and sun that was in my eyes. I put on a ballcap and shot anyway. So those are my excuses. I shot a 198 with 11X. So my last 4 targets are 198, 199, 197, and 198. I haven't cleaned the barrel in a long time but I'm reluctant to mess with the rifle. The 198 and 199 were shot with pellets I weighed at 21.1 grains and the 197 and second 198 were shot with pellets I weighed at 21 grain. There is also a handfull of pellets from that partial tin that I weighed at 20.9 - maybe one was 20.8. There isn't enough for a full target but I may shoot them just to see how they do. Not sure that weighing to sort the pellets is making a difference. If the light ones are noticably different, however, I will think otherwise. But one point difference in the average score for 21 versus 21.1 grain seems more likely the shooter than the pellets.

So my pursuit of the elusive 200 continues.
Hello @JimD

Just think how much fun you are having and the valuable experience you have gained :D

ThomasT