30-Yard Challenge

Shot 5 cards today with 4 different rifles.

It was very windy when I started the day with the Akela. First card - not shown - was 185. Then I shot the 189 9x using a 14x scope with 9 grain “bargain” pellets that shoot very well. I have to use the gap between the center “t” and the reticle lines because its an FFP scope and the reticle is pretty think with only 14x magnification on the little target. Nothing worse than an “8” across the full 24 shots - I was happywith that in the wind.

Tomorrow I’m shooting long distance. I’m not expecting much. Just hoping my scopes are up to 100 yards.

-Ed

IMG_1916.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and JimD
Today proved to be one of those rare times where I actually had time available to shoot in warm temperatures and reasonable wind conditions.

I elected to shoot one of my two closet queen Mac-1 USFT's since no one else has currently submitted any scores with one for the 30yd Challenge. The twitchy breezes varied between 8 and 12 o'clock from calm to 6mph. I didn't get caught until shot #24 when I rushed the shot. After shooting this target I elected to quit while I was ahead.

IMG_1754.JPG

Reactions: JimD and rc4fun
Today proved to be one of those rare times where I actually had time available to shoot in warm temperatures and reasonable wind conditions.

I elected to shoot one of my two closet queen Mac-1 USFT's since no one else has currently submitted any scores with one for the 30yd Challenge. The twitchy breezes varied between 8 and 12 o'clock from calm to 6mph. I didn't get caught until shot #24 when I rushed the shot. After shooting this target I elected to quit while I was ahead.

View attachment 348170

Holy Smokes dude, that’s a freaking 239!

I’m not familiar with the type of rifle you mention, can you tell a bit about it and show a picture?

-Ed

Still don't have any higher scores to post but I've been messing around with different pellets for my P35-177. I stocked up on H&N Baracuda Match 4.50s but Pyramid sent me one tin of 4.52s and I decided to try it instead of sending it back. It gave me the 193, I think it is in the center, the best score I've achieved with this gun. I also have several tins of the Baracuda Power pellets so I was trying them a couple weeks ago and shot a 191. Today I shot two cards with the Match 4.50s and the second one is the 190 included in this picture. While the 190 is the lowest score it has the most Xs. I still tend to think the 4.52s shoot a little better but that was what I was investigating. All three are clearly usable.

P25-177 3 different pellets.jpg

Reactions: ThomasT
Still don't have any higher scores to post but I've been messing around with different pellets for my P35-177. I stocked up on H&N Baracuda Match 4.50s but Pyramid sent me one tin of 4.52s and I decided to try it instead of sending it back. It gave me the 193, I think it is in the center, the best score I've achieved with this gun. I also have several tins of the Baracuda Power pellets so I was trying them a couple weeks ago and shot a 191. Today I shot two cards with the Match 4.50s and the second one is the 190 included in this picture. While the 190 is the lowest score it has the most Xs. I still tend to think the 4.52s shoot a little better but that was what I was investigating. All three are clearly usable.

View attachment 348480
Hello @JimD

I have had my best scores with 4.52mm pellets. I cannot always find the weight / brand in 4.52's is the biggest problem. I admire all the effort that you are putting into improving your shooting (y), hope you are like me and enjoy the work.

ThomasT

Back from my 100 yard day - it was a BLAST!!

I brought both Prophets and a Wolverine R HP.

I didn’t use this .22 Prophet, cause it’s tuned so nice for 30-45 yards… and I ran out of time.

So, this is my first target of today with it. 194 doesn’t top my 197 with it… but 14Xs ties my record for bulls with any of my rifles.

-Ed

IMG_1986.jpeg

View attachment 348170
nice shooting , just bought a used USFT but have to figure how to change to lefty , got some good answer's here on AGN so now going to see if i understood the info

After a road trip and a couple beers…

My 3rd target with RTI Prophet.22 LR today.

Strangely, score (196) is inching upwards but Xs are trending downwards…. Perhaps I can put it all together for a 4th target as the light fades…

IMG_1991.jpeg

Alas, no record with RTI PP .22 tonight, last target was 194 11X.

Then I ran a chronograph test - shot 3 match heads at 30 yards while taking chronograph readings - 875fps with the Air Arms 15.89g. Hit 2 of 3 match heads.

It was a great weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpeg
    IMG_1992.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hello @EPG

More good cards and a lot of effort on your part. I really like the H&N, they shoot great. Hope you do well on the 100-yard shoot and take some photos.

ThomasT
Hi ThomasT,

I had a blast shooting 100 yards. My first shot ever at a reactive target @100 was a bullseye. That was a 3” target. Later my 1st shot at a 2” reactive target was a bullseye. I ran out to 100 to take a picture of both. I put 9 out of 10 on that particular 2” target, one of my 2 best 100 yard targets of the day.

I posted my journal writeup of the day and experience on the General Forum.

-Ed

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

IMG_1962.jpeg

Hi ThomasT,

I had a blast shooting 100 yards. My first shot ever at a reactive target @100 was a bullseye. That was a 3” target. Later my 1st shot at a 2” reactive target was a bullseye. I ran out to 100 to take a picture of both. I put 9 out of 10 on that particular 2” target, one of my 2 best 100 yard targets of the day.

I posted my journal writeup of the day and experience on the General Forum.

-Ed

View attachment 349010

View attachment 349011

View attachment 349012
Hello @EPG

Some really nice 100-yard shooting. Translate that to your 30-yard target and you have a 200 Score :D

ThomasT

Nice day today at the range this morning. Getting hot here in NC, with 86 degrees currently.

I shot (4) 30 yard challenge cards with my RAW HM1000x .22 with a Midas Tac 6-24X50 scope. The clicks on the Midas Tac are much more clear than on some of the other Athlon scopes in my collection.

Two 195 cards, one 194 card and one 200-11X card. Wind was very light and I had just really cleaned the gun yesterday, and I actually had 7 patches with lead specs on them before I got two more that were clean. After 100-125 shots, I always have to clean the RAW, which is a breeze with patch worm.

Funny, I have been considering swapping out my .22 HP Poly barrel with either a .25 or .30 barrel with Martin, but since I have two other 100 yard bench rest guns, I may keep the RAW for N50 primarily.

Here are the cards: (I will submit the 200 score for this week)

IMG_8686.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

Nice day today at the range this morning. Getting hot here in NC, with 86 degrees currently.

I shot (4) 30 yard challenge cards with my RAW HM1000x .22 with a Midas Tac 6-24X50 scope. The clicks on the Midas Tac are much more clear than on some of the other Athlon scopes in my collection.

Two 195 cards, one 194 card and one 200-11X card. Wind was very light and I had just really cleaned the gun yesterday, and I actually had 7 patches with lead specs on them before I got two more that were clean. After 100-125 shots, I always have to clean the RAW, which is a breeze with patch worm.

Funny, I have been considering swapping out my .22 HP Poly barrel with either a .25 or .30 barrel with Martin, but since I have two other 100 yard bench rest guns, I may keep the RAW for N50 primarily.

Here are the cards: (I will submit the 200 score for this week)

View attachment 349611

View attachment 349612
Hello @tommyb

All cards were very well shot but the 200 is really nice :love: (y)(y). Frame that one and hang it on the wall 😜. Great shooting Tommy.

ThomasT

Here are the cards: (I will submit the 200 score for this

Congratulations on that awesome 200 card Tommy B!

Today I’m at the Northeast Airgun Classic in New Hampshire.

I’m competing in the PRS event today. Which is interesting, because I don’t know exactly what PRS is…. But it involves shooting airguns, so I’ll be having fun !

-Ed

Congratulations on that awesome 200 card Tommy B!

Today I’m at the Northeast Airgun Classic in New Hampshire.

I’m competing in the PRS event today. Which is interesting, because I don’t know exactly what PRS is…. But it involves shooting airguns, so I’ll be having fun !

-Ed
Thanks Ed!

Best of luck in the PRS event. Send me a PM or post a thread if you feel like it on your experience.

Tom