30-Yard Challenge

Jumped out to shoot a card at lunch…

….so close to a 190 with Crosman pellets. Mild breeze, so I was adjusting for wind as I only shooting 680fps.

Check this out - 189 7x with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum 14.3g pellets using Weihrauch HW110 .22 !

View attachment 344188

View attachment 344189
Ed,

Not sure if you saw my post from last night. Here it is again ( I included some edits), but I did see your earlier post explaining your barrel and HST changes and mods. Read on....

-Ed

Re. HW110 - I have the HW100 .22 carbine (410mm barrel) and it shoots both the JSB 15.89 and 18.1 pretty well. In looking at one review on AoA, the user liked 820 FPS for the 18.1 and 900 FPS for the 14.35 pellets. I have done a lot of tuning and Chrony work, and my .22 seems to shoot best in the 845-850 FPS range for the 18.1. At that tune, it also shoots the 15.89 at around 875 FPS. When my buddy and I tuned both the reg & HST, the maximum HST was around 895 FPS. So, a balanced tune for me was in the 95-97% of max HST range or 845-850 FPS, which is where it is right now shooting the 18.1.

What are your typical group sizes at 25Y? You should be getting five shots in a ragged hole at 20-25 yards from a solid bench rest setup with your HW110.

Have you adjusted your HST and/ or reg to increase the velocity for the JSB pellets? 650 FPS seems very low to me, and I am wondering if you might get better accuracy with increased velocity?

PM me when you get a chance and we should talk via phone.

Tom

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Hi Guys,
Still trying for that elusive 200 score. The Crown is helping me get closer. Cool day with light gusty breeze so I was doing a lot of windage adjustments. Still very happy with the result.
Cheers,
Greg
30 yd Challange 3-29-23.jpg

Hi Guys,
Still trying for that elusive 200 score. The Crown is helping me get closer. Cool day with light gusty breeze so I was doing a lot of windage adjustments. Still very happy with the result.
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 344503
Hello @NAProf

Wow Greg you are right there :D :D, just a bit closer on a couple. You really don't have a bad shot on that card.

ThomasT

Reactions: NAProf
Jumped outside at lunch to shoot a card…

Weihrauch HW110 with Crosman 14.3g “Ultra Magnum” domes.

Damn… my 2nd 189 in a row chasing that elusive 190 or better with the “WalMart” pellets. You will note that I had to throw away Target #1 - scope needed some adjustment…. and still all I needed was 18 on Target #12 for that elusive 190…

The Crosman gods teased me with the 196 shot across 2 cards… just to make me think it’s possible…. but the Crosman gods throw ya a “heavenly flyer” or two just when ya think you’re in control…

I’ll shoot another “Crosman card” this afternoon, then switch to some more reasonable pellets…

My HW110 & Crosman Cards to date:
186 8x
179 5x
181 6x
184 2x
181 6x
182 5x
189 7x
189 5x
(and “phantom” 196 8x across 2 cards)

Pretty consistent - despite the “inconsistent” pellets…

4CD4B1A6-8269-4B42-8E0A-258FF09685AC.jpeg

B10AFADC-DC32-4B0C-9A35-A0B71709D345.jpeg

6BC02057-1537-4687-8DA7-D77CE24AA4D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Shot a second “Crosman Card”…

Alas, I’m giving up on the Crosman 190+ Challenge for a bit. 176 6x is my worst score to date.

It was breezy - especially when shooting just 650fps. However, when the Crosman Gods are dishing out multiple “17xs” you just have to shrug it off. No way that I’m hitting an “X” and then I miss low by 1/2” on the next shot… multiple times. Crazy pellets.

As an example, I shot a 5-shot group immediately after finishing the 176 card. Note 4 shots inside a tiny 1/2” circle, then the 5th goes 1/2” higher, lol.

I’m still not giving up on 190+ with Crosmans, cause I’ve done it - but you need some luck with the pellets being so inconsistent.

-Ed

68F902A6-A5CF-4198-9A18-F9648571F25E.jpeg

41EC2E61-9218-4018-8199-59DF6A4A4692.jpeg

D21254E9-7105-4893-A395-B73074A4C570.jpeg

0476EB86-F84E-4FA4-9F64-51C1835FFC58.jpeg

• Love
Shot a second “Crosman Card”…

Alas, I’m giving up on the Crosman 190+ Challenge for a bit. 176 6x is my worst score to date.

It was breezy - especially when shooting just 650fps. However, when the Crosman Gods are dishing out multiple “17xs” you just have to shrug it off. No way that I’m hitting an “X” and then I miss low by 1/2” on the next shot… multiple times. Crazy pellets.

As an example, I shot a 5-shot group immediately after finishing the 176 card. Note 4 shots inside a tiny 1/2” circle, then the 5th goes 1/2” higher, lol.

I’m still not giving up on 190+ with Crosmans, cause I’ve done it - but you need some luck with the pellets being so inconsistent.

-Ed

View attachment 344675

View attachment 344676

View attachment 344677

View attachment 344678
Hello @EPG

It can really be frustrating when you have inconsistent POI's. May I make a suggestion, print out several copies of the attached General Target and shoot it at 10 or 15 yards to start with. If your gun and pellet combination cannot do well at that close in distance then it is most likely time to switch to another pellet or make any adjustments that you can to the rifle. When I shoot the 30-Yard Challenge, I normally will shoot at least one General Target first, kind of gets me "dialed in". Hope this will help.

ThomasT

View attachment General Target-1.pdf

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Hello @EPG

It can really be frustrating when you have inconsistent POI's. May I make a suggestion, print out several copies of the attached General Target and shoot it at 10 or 15 yards to start with. If your gun and pellet combination cannot do well at that close in distance then it is most likely time to switch to another pellet or make any adjustments that you can to the rifle. When I shoot the 30-Yard Challenge, I normally will shoot at least one General Target first, kind of gets me "dialed in". Hope this will help.

ThomasT

View attachment 344692
Thanks ThomasT - I’ll give that a try.

Usually I am time challenged getting in cards - except on weekends. So my usual prep to shoot a 30 Yard Challenge Card is about 2 shots to check zero, lol.

So taking a break from shooting an HW110 at 650fps, I pulled out my RTI Prophet Performance v1 with Long Range slow 32:1 twist rate barrel…

…I have not shot the 30 Yard Challenge with it, but it’s definitely a very accurate rifle.

I grabbed some JSB Hades 15.89g - it shoots most all pellets well - regardless of velocity.

Here you can see its shooting Hades at 960fps. Note the reg is only 83 bar - these Prophet Performance V1s are monsters - its idling shooting 15.89s at 960fps, lol.

I have my other Prophet Performance v1 on the leaderboard shooting .177 caliber. I also have a v1 .25 Long Range barrel (slow 32:1 twist rate). I want to use the .25 LR when I get to shoot 100 yards.

In any case, I shot the PP .22 LR just OK - a 189 and 191. The 191 is good enough to submit for the leaderboard, but I thought I’d score higher with it. I guess constantly switching rifles doesn’t help - I’ll have to start shooting it more.

D454EEED-83C7-45EC-83D9-B70AB859BE0F.jpeg

13A1977A-00F9-4067-BF73-52696E4DB322.jpeg

02166C96-2F68-49AD-BC02-F7EC8F6322C4.jpeg

5A3F3273-B8CC-41B5-A1BE-4B29A89A0FE7.jpeg

A912744D-EF41-4B0F-8CC3-247F8C6D912D.jpeg

• Love
Jumped outside at lunch to shoot a card…

Weihrauch HW110 with Crosman 14.3g “Ultra Magnum” domes.

Damn… my 2nd 189 in a row chasing that elusive 190 or better with the “WalMart” pellets. You will note that I had to throw away Target #1 - scope needed some adjustment…. and still all I needed was 18 on Target #12 for that elusive 190…

The Crosman gods teased me with the 196 shot across 2 cards… just to make me think it’s possible…. but the Crosman gods throw ya a “heavenly flyer” or two just when ya think you’re in control…

I’ll shoot another “Crosman card” this afternoon, then switch to some more reasonable pellets…

My HW110 & Crosman Cards to date:
186 8x
179 5x
181 6x
184 2x
181 6x
182 5x
189 7x
189 5x
(and “phantom” 196 8x across 2 cards)

Pretty consistent - despite the “inconsistent” pellets…

View attachment 344657

View attachment 344658

View attachment 344659
Hello again @EPG

Looking at your three leg table, I would be willing to bet that you would shoot an easy 200 if you had a solid and heavy Shooting Bench. Here is a photo of my outside Bench, it does not move.

ThomasT
Benchrest X30.jpg

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello again @EPG

Looking at your three leg table, I would be willing to bet that you would shoot an easy 200 if you had a solid and heavy Shooting Bench. Here is a photo of my outside Bench, it does not move.

ThomasT
View attachment 344909

Lol, yep - I aware that my “shooting setup” is far from optimal - it definitely adds to the challenge.

The table spins, which I kinda like. Unfortunately, the top flexes, which I believe leads to inconsistency.

Perhaps I will get a real shooting bench setup this year.

I’m not a woodworker, but I’m good working with tools. Did anyone share a design plan for a simple, stable bench on AGN ?

• Love
Lol, yep - I aware that my “shooting setup” is far from optimal - it definitely adds to the challenge.

The table spins, which I kinda like. Unfortunately, the top flexes, which I believe leads to inconsistency.

Perhaps I will get a real shooting bench setup this year.

I’m not a woodworker, but I’m good working with tools. Did anyone share a design plan for a simple, stable bench on AGN ?
Hey again @EPG

Let me look in my drawing computer and see if I saved my drawings. If I did they will have to be converted into pdf files which will take me a bit of time, but if I have them I will get them posted here in a day or so.

ThomasT

That's a nice rifle well shot EPG. Thanks to ThomasT for the warmup/testing target. I sometimes quit on a 30 yard challenge target when I have too many "bad cells" and know it will be worse than previous targets. But I save those targets and start with them before shooting one "for score". I like to put three in a row into at least the 9 cell before starting my "scoring shooting". A little warmup seems to help me. But I still shoot less consistently than I want to.

My shooting bench has a wood top but it is just 3/4 plywood. It is portable, however, which is handy sometimes. But I could save it for when I travel and put something sturdier on my side porch I shoot from. A thicker wood top would not flex. Not sure I want concrete. I could make it really solid but I don't think it's as comfortable to shoot from. Opinions? 1.5 inch or thicker wood or concrete?

Hello everyone,

@EPG has requested a copy of my drawings to build a Bench Shooting Table ( Benchrest ) and there are so many files and pictures I am not going to take up space here on @tcarlson777 thread. Here is a link to a new thread in the Benchrest Section of the Forum.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

@EPG has requested a copy of my drawings to build a Bench Shooting Table ( Benchrest ) and there are so many files and pictures I am not going to take up space here on @tcarlson777 thread. Here is a link to a new thread in the Benchrest Section of the Forum.

ThomasT
Thanks ThomasT, much appreciated.

A worthwhile 2023 project!

-Ed

• Love
This is my bench rest. The pipe legs are plenty strong enough but I thought about it some more and I suspect that screwing them into a pipe flange at the top is not enough support to keep them from shifting a little when I lean on the bench. Connecting the 3/4 iron pipe legs together with a brace a few inches off the ground seems like a good first step to make this bench more rigid. I like that I can unscrew the legs and snap them on the bottom of the top and take the bench with me. But it does give a little when I am shooting. I might have to put a hardwood stiffener on the top but I'm thinking the legs are where I should start.

br2.jpg

br3.jpg

br upside down.jpg

This is my bench rest. The pipe legs are plenty strong enough but I thought about it some more and I suspect that screwing them into a pipe flange at the top is not enough support to keep them from shifting a little when I lean on the bench. Connecting the 3/4 iron pipe legs together with a brace a few inches off the ground seems like a good first step to make this bench more rigid. I like that I can unscrew the legs and snap them on the bottom of the top and take the bench with me. But it does give a little when I am shooting. I might have to put a hardwood stiffener on the top but I'm thinking the legs are where I should start.

View attachment 345244

View attachment 345245

View attachment 345246

Nice portable setup!

Only shot one card today - was watching NCAA Women’s Hoops finals.

I was testing max velocity of HW110 with 410mm barrel, 90bar reg and UK spec (12 ft/lb) hammer spring shuttle. Max velocity was 777fps with .22 JSB RS 13.43g pellets. This is almost 18 ft/lbs - so the mild UK spec shuttle has plenty of headroom above 12 ft/lbs.

I shot a 5-shot group at 775fps and it was one tiny hole at 30 yards - so then I shot a card, despite the wind.

Best score to date with HW110 - 191. Started great. Ignore big hole between targets 3&5 - did that before I started shooting the card. I actually double loaded the rifle. Impossible on the Hw110 you say… not if you load a pellet, remove the mag, refill it and put it back in, lol.

I may stick with this tune for a bit - although it will use more air and decrease my shot count.

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg