30-Yard Challenge

You might also want to consider H&N FTT, plain lead or copper plated. The H&N are rumored to be a little harder like the Crosmans. My P35s in 177 and 22 like the H&N Baracuda Match pellets but they are heavier. My Avenger loves JSBs and FXs a little more but my other 4 guns seem to prefer H&N.
Yep, I must have 20+ tins of FTT 14.66. The 600mm barrel liked them the best of all the lighter weight pellets.

I’m just playing around with the Crosman in the HW110. I was running some shot strings with them and thought “damn those groups look tight for Crosman”. I measured the 7 or 8 five shot groups on the paper plate and was able to draw a 1/2” (!) circle around every group. Only 2 flyers on the paper plate.

At that point I got the idea to try to shoot 190 with them on this challenge. H&Ns are great - I expect no problem getting 190+ with FTTs.

-Ed

I've been trying to shoot a target or two a day either early in the morning, like before 9am, or late like around 7pm. The wind tends to be still at those times. The morning shoot is iffy, however, because I am shooting into the sun and it can be hard to see. But a couple days this week it was cloudy and I could see fine but didn't shoot so hot. Yesterday I got a Pyramid order I had placed for 4 more tins of H&N Baracuda Match 177 in 4.50 head size for my P35-177. Only Pyramid Air sent 3 of the 4.5s and one 4.52 head size. I thought about complaining but shot a target with it instead. It was a 188 10X even with the sun in my eyes. So I shot another target with these pellets a few minutes ago. I think it is a 193 10X. First target over 190 with this gun. I have 4 187s with the 4.50 head size. Not much difference but the 4.52s shot better than the 4.50 has on two of two targets today. Now I have a bunch of Baracuda Power - the third choice, and 3+ tins of the Match in 4.50 and a partial tin of the 4.52s. Oh well. I've shot over 180 with all these so they are good enough for most purposes.

I was recording velocity as I shot today so I have a bunch of data for my spreadsheet. The ES is good, like well under 10 for short strings but it went up this morning to where the ES was 18 for a string of 20 or 30 (need to examine the data). But it is in two sets both with ES well under 10 but the second string has a higher velocity. The gun was sitting in the sun for the second string and I think it may have warmed up enough to shift the velocity something on the order of 5 fps. I need to get the data in my spreadsheet and take a closer look.

P35-177 193 10X.jpg

I've been trying to shoot a target or two a day either early in the morning, like before 9am, or late like around 7pm. The wind tends to be still at those times. The morning shoot is iffy, however, because I am shooting into the sun and it can be hard to see. But a couple days this week it was cloudy and I could see fine but didn't shoot so hot. Yesterday I got a Pyramid order I had placed for 4 more tins of H&N Baracuda Match 177 in 4.50 head size for my P35-177. Only Pyramid Air sent 3 of the 4.5s and one 4.52 head size. I thought about complaining but shot a target with it instead. It was a 188 10X even with the sun in my eyes. So I shot another target with these pellets a few minutes ago. I think it is a 193 10X. First target over 190 with this gun. I have 4 187s with the 4.50 head size. Not much difference but the 4.52s shot better than the 4.50 has on two of two targets today. Now I have a bunch of Baracuda Power - the third choice, and 3+ tins of the Match in 4.50 and a partial tin of the 4.52s. Oh well. I've shot over 180 with all these so they are good enough for most purposes.

I was recording velocity as I shot today so I have a bunch of data for my spreadsheet. The ES is good, like well under 10 for short strings but it went up this morning to where the ES was 18 for a string of 20 or 30 (need to examine the data). But it is in two sets both with ES well under 10 but the second string has a higher velocity. The gun was sitting in the sun for the second string and I think it may have warmed up enough to shift the velocity something on the order of 5 fps. I need to get the data in my spreadsheet and take a closer look.

View attachment 343090
Hello @JimD

Very nice looking card, well shot (y)

ThomasT

Thanks for the kind comments. I know lots of you do better but I am just trying to improve me.

Yes I wish there was a trade-in process or something. But sometimes they shoot well in a future gun. The H&N FTTs that did not shoot well in my Avenger 25 shoot great in my P35-25. In this case all the 10.65 H&Ns seem to shoot pretty well so I will use them up. Wish they were the 4.52s but it doesn't make any real difference for plinking.

I got the velocity data in the spreadsheet I use for this and the best way to look at it seems to be two data sets, one from the morning when it was cooler and another from the evening when it was more than 10 degrees warmer. The averages for the two strings looked at this way are almost 9fps different. The 25 shots from the evening have an ES of 15.1 and the 42 shots from the morning have an ES of about 18.7. But if I put them together the ES rises to 29.2. But I think it makes sense to separate them this way when we know that temperature affects velocity in PCPs.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Thought I’d share my “fish story” regarding attempting to score 190+ with CPHP 14.3s and my Weihrauch HW110.

As I’ve shared, my HW110 started life as a “FAC” 600mm barrel version shooting JSB 18.13s at 840fps and getting about 40 shots on the regulator (factory set at 150 bar). I’ve swapped the barrel to Weihrauc’s shorter 410mm and swapped the FAC hammer spring shuttle to the UK spec shuttle. I’ve dropped the regulator pressure to 90 bar.

Since I put on the 410mm barrel, the rifle shoots CPHP stunningly well. Now I know that these are just plinking pellets, but I was getting consistent 1/2” groups at 30 yards (and one zeroing group yesterday that measured .08” ctc !) … so I figured I’d try to score 190 with them.

Yesterday, I put up a 30 yard target and used the 1st 6 targets to rezero the HW110 with CPHP - as I rezeroed to shoot some JSB 13.43g the day before). Then I started hitting 10s and Xs. I had to go across 2 cards because I used the 1st 6 targets to rezero. The result was a 196 8X with CPHP !!

I wasso excited that I put up another fresh target…. And proceeded to shoot 185… dang… still no official 190+ with CPHP.

One other interesting thing. Previously, I was shooting the CPHP 14.3g at 700fps and also tried 740fps. Because I kept the JSB 13.43g tune yesterday, I was shooting the CPHP at 650-655fps for the “phantom“ 196. I think I will stick with this rather slow velocity when I resume my pursuit of 190+ with CPHP. My HW110 has not shot less than 181 with the CPHP (best was 186) across about 6 or 7 targets now.

Wish I had the rifle zeroed when I started that 196 miraculous target…

Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
Getting tired of shooting groups? Try this game out. You shoot all 24 bulls once at 30 yards. Next, eliminate your two lowest pairs. Then, add up your score, with a Max of 200. My best target using my Vet Long is below, as is the target I used. It would be a really great shooter who could get a 200. The 10 ring is 3.28mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly. Post up your best score and what gun you used!
I got out the bone stock Diana 430L that I have not had on the bench for over 2 months. It was a bit windy, something like 8 to 15 mph mostly at around 2 o'clock. I shot this target. Scoring without a scoring tool I make it 182 and 6x. Not bad for a spring rifle that hasn't been shot in 2 months.

IMG_20230325_180447768.jpg

IMG_20230325_180422371_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EPG and rc4fun
Shot a few cards today with both the RAW HM1000x .22 HP and the FX Royale .22. Both guns shot well, there was a light wind at 1-2/3 mph.

I will submit the 197 for the Royale. I have an excellent Leupold 6.5X20X40MM EFR 2FP on the Royale and the glass is very clear with the duplex reticle. Have the Midas Tac 6-24 X 50MM on the RAW.

Shot one 50Y N50 target with the RAW. 239, which is pretty solid, but the wind got me a few times as you can see.

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_8391.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Shot a few cards today with both the RAW HM1000x .22 HP and the FX Royale .22. Both guns shot well, there was a light wind at 1-2/3 mph.

I will submit the 197 for the Royale. I have an excellent Leupold 6.5X20X40MM EFR 2FP on the Royale and the glass is very clear with the duplex reticle. Have the Midas Tac 6-24 X 50MM on the RAW.

Shot one 50Y N50 target with the RAW. 239, which is pretty solid, but the wind got me a few times as you can see.

View attachment 343901

View attachment 343902

View attachment 343903
Hello @tommyb

Excellent shooting on all of the cards (y) , hopefully March will go out like a Lamb and we can start having some less windy days.

ThomasT

I got home from work, noticed that I still had some light and it was pretty calm wind-wise.

I shot two cards - the first with Daystate Huntsman Regal .22 and JSB 15.89. The 2nd with Weihrauch HW110 .22 with H&N FTT 14.66.

The Huntsman always amazes. Picked up the rifle and shot a total of 25 shots - one quick zero check and then a 196 12x.

I have not figured out the speed for the HW110 with FTT 14.66. I shot a 182 5x with velocity at about 650fps. It groups well at this speed, but there are some inconsistent shots. I may go to 700fps and see if I can get 190 or better.

-Ed

F10BB60B-5E7E-41B1-8B8C-21EC04463600.jpeg

I got home from work, noticed that I still had some light and it was pretty calm wind-wise.

I shot two cards - the first with Daystate Huntsman Regal .22 and JSB 15.89. The 2nd with Weihrauch HW110 .22 with H&N FTT 14.66.

The Huntsman always amazes. Picked up the rifle and shot a total of 25 shots - one quick zero check and then a 196 12x.

I have not figured out the speed for the HW110 with FTT 14.66. I shot a 182 5x with velocity at about 650fps. It groups well at this speed, but there are some inconsistent shots. I may go to 700fps and see if I can get 190 or better.

-Ed

Re. HW110 - I have the HW100 .22 carbine and it shoots both the JSB 15.89 and 18.1 pretty well. In looking at one review on AoA, the user liked 820 FPS for the 18.1 and 900 FPS for the 14.35 pellets.

I have done a lot of tuning and Chrony work, and my .22 seems to shoot best in the 825-840 FPS range for the 18.1. At that tune, it also shoots the 15.89 at around 875 FPS.

What are your typical group sizes and at what distance? You should be getting five shots in a ragged hole at 20-25 yards from a solid bench rest setup.

Have you adjusted your HST and/ or reg? 650 FPS seems very low to me, and I have some ideas.

PM me when you get a chance and we should talk via phone.

Tom

View attachment 344041

Jumped out to shoot a card at lunch…

….so close to a 190 with Crosman pellets. Mild breeze, so I was adjusting for wind as I only shooting 680fps.

Check this out - 189 7x with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum 14.3g pellets using Weihrauch HW110 .22 !

View attachment 344188

View attachment 344189
Hello @EPG

You need more lunch breaks like that, very nice shooting (y)

ThomasT