• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Rain and windy day today snuck this target in during a let up on the rain

CCA2C706-D8FE-4273-9E82-5F116519A38E.jpeg

Shot an interesting card today with the Brocock .177. I was doing some experimenting with pellets. I have been using the JSB Redesigned Monsters (13.43 gr) for HFT and this. Have a tin of FX 13.4 gr .177 pellets. These are the old JSB Monster design. To compare I thought I would shoot half the target with one, then rezero and shoot the 2nd half with the other. That way the conditions would be the same. Had the chrony attach also to see the pellet velocities. Both sets of 12 shots had almost identical average FPS, SD and ES. The wind was blowing about 4.5mph with gusts to 9mph, but almost directly at me from the target. Do you see any difference in the pellets?
30 yd Challange 11-09-22.jpg

I got out the calipers and measured everything up. I also geeked out a lot with Excel (something I seem to do regularly) and did some comparisons. The bellow sheets show the numbers,

JSB RDM Pellets- 30 yd.jpg

Here is the JSB results.

FX Pellets- 30 yd.jpg

Here is the FX results. Only one flyer in the FX shots, but the other shots had less scatter. Maybe need to start shooting the FX's at HFT (though that won't fix my off-hand problems).

Glad to finally break 190 with the Brocock. Now to get more than ten X's.

Cheers,
Greg

Hello @NAProf

First off, very well done on the shooting and the analysis study. I know to have fun and shoot well an airgun of any sorts most folks do not need all of the "unknown / study / testing / etc.", but I for one like that kind of stuff. Besides it is a lot of fun :D . Again very well done and thank you for sharing.

ThomasT

Hey again @NAProf

I have not digested all of your chart information but........🤓........ one item really stands out, Center Distance from Bull. If you were to run at least two more identical test and compare all three, and these two values were close to the same as shown above, I would shoot FX pellets 👨‍🎓.

Now please excuse me, I have to go order some FX pellets (y)

ThomasT

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak
Had great weather yesterday wil just a bit of wind - again coming straight at me. Decided to shoot the Maverick today and glad I did. It shot really well. Shot and IBS 100 yard target at 70 yds, and IBS 50 yd target at 50 and of course a 30 yd Challenge target. Nothing to talk about at 75 yds. But at 50 yds shot 248/250 with 9 X's. The below card is my Challenge and it is the best I have done so far.
30 yd Challange 11-10-22.jpg

I finally broke the magic 10 X's barrier!
Of course I put this into my spreadsheet and found that one click right in windage would have given me 1 more point and two more X's (woulda, coulda, shoulda). It did show that the max spread for the 20 counted shots was less than 3/8 inch. Yup, I am happy with this card!

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. ThomasT - I will take you up on the idea of shooting more cards to check the .177 FX pellets. Will let you know.

Had great weather yesterday wil just a bit of wind - again coming straight at me. Decided to shoot the Maverick today and glad I did. It shot really well. Shot and IBS 100 yard target at 70 yds, and IBS 50 yd target at 50 and of course a 30 yd Challenge target. Nothing to talk about at 75 yds. But at 50 yds shot 248/250 with 9 X's. The below card is my Challenge and it is the best I have done so far.
View attachment 304623

I finally broke the magic 10 X's barrier!
Of course I put this into my spreadsheet and found that one click right in windage would have given me 1 more point and two more X's (woulda, coulda, shoulda). It did show that the max spread for the 20 counted shots was less than 3/8 inch. Yup, I am happy with this card!

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. ThomasT - I will take you up on the idea of shooting more cards to check the .177 FX pellets. Will let you know.
Hello @NAProf ,

Nice card for the 30 Yard Challenge Greg. Looking forward to your new analysis reports, sure like to see them as a "carbon copy" of the first one. I did order 4-tins of the FX and cannot wait to give them a try.

ThomasT

Great shooting, Greg. What speeds are you shooting those .22 MRDs?
The sweet spot for the Maverick is 907 fps. That is with the bottle regulator at 132 bar, the valve regulator at 97 bar, and the internal hammer spring adjustment at 2mm. This gives a standard SD for velocity of about 2 fps and an ES of 7 fps. Lots of fiddling with stuff to find that spot.
Cheers,
Greg

I have found these shooting challenge targets, downloaded them and they look a little small. They printed on 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper. How can I make sure that they are sized correctly. I also have downloaded the 10yard and 50 yard challenge targets. I would appreciate someone getting me up to speed.
Hello @Welldone

Any target that I have drawn and submitted here on the Forum will have a "Scale" drawn somewhere on the target ( see attached photo ). The Scale shows 1/4" , 1/2" . and 1" , , after you print one copy just measure the "Scale" to confirm it is printed to correct size.

ThomasT
30Y Challenge Scale.jpg

OK, as I promised TomasT I shot the mixed JSB MRD and FX cards again. Yesterday was a bit blustery with 3 mph wind with gusts to 6mph. What was a bit different was it was coming at about315 deg relative (my 10:30 more or less). So there was more windage spread than in the first time around for both pellets. Rather than attaching the cards I will just post the spreadsheets.

The first two are from 10/14/22. I shot the FX's first, followed by the JSB's. I shot about 10 rounds on a site in target before each pellets turn at the target. I did not change the scope settings between the pellet groups.

1668556991429.png

This show that if I had adjusted two clicks down I would have had the mean of the shots nearly at o elevation. The max CTC spread here is 11.9mm with 7 of the shots within 1 MOA.

1668557225676.png

Much more windage spread with the JSB's. This also shows that I should have gone UP 1 click on the scope. so the center of these shots is .75 MOA lower than the FX's. The chrony said that the ave. Velocity, ES and SD for both groups were nearly identical (about 823 fps, 1.9 SD and 7 ES). Strelok Pro says the FX's (orig JSD Monster 13.43 gr) have a BC of 0.026 while the Redesigns have a BC of 0.03, These results seems to say Strelok might have it backwards. The extreme spread on this group is 22mm and only 5 shots are withing 1 MOA.

Today was better weather with only light wind blowing directly at me from the target. Shot the same card, but the JSB's first and the FX's second. I didn't really shoot much better, but the groups seem to tell the same story.

1668557931084.png

I again left the scope alone. And once again the JSB group has an average elevation .25 MOA below the bulls. Still has the wide flyers even without much wind. This group had an ES of 17mm and 7 shots in a 1 MOA group.

1668558307850.png

The FX pellets were once again higher up the target than the JSB's. The average elevation is .25 MOA above the bulls. Smaller windage dispersion than the JSB's but I was going high for some reason. This would have been headed for a 192 8 or 9 X card if I shot all FX's. I haven't done that well in .177 yet. This group had a 15mm ES and 8 shots in a 1 MOA group.

So what do you guys think? Is there any difference between these pellets in this rifle? I think there is. But probably I could eliminate much of that by sorting the JSB's by head size and weight. The FX pellets just appear to be a better selection of pellets (from the JSB factory).

Cheers,
Greg