• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Hello Tom @tcarlson777

I would like to submit this card in replacement for the one dated 08/14/2022 into the Guns Less Than $800.00 class. After shooting a ream of paper 🤪 I improved my score to 184 with 6-x. Shooting my Diana Stormrider .177 cal and using H&N Baracuda 10.65gr. Replaced the Tru-Glow scope with a Hawke and I scored this using a .22 plug.

ThomasT
Stormrider 08-20-2022.jpg

In theory, you would think that is the case. In reality, the .177s have consistently scored the best. Please note that .177 shooters use a .224 (or so) plug for their scoring. Due to the differences, I recently split out the .177 group from .22 caliber and up. My guess is that the really good target shooters use .177 more than other calibers, and that is why the .177 scoring is usually higher. The largest caliber to ever submit a score was a .30 cal Impact that shot a 197. Give it a try @BlackICE.
The scoring instructions on the 1st post don't mention anything about a .22 plug. I don't think I have any .22 pellets anymore I guess I can use the correct numbered drill bit. I have a .177 and .25 I could try with. I need to practice up before going for a score, so that I won't be too embarrassed. :)

At my current skill level I would be lucky to average 8.

Reactions: ThomasT
The scoring instructions on the 1st post don't mention anything about a .22 plug. I don't think I have any .22 pellets anymore I guess I can use the correct numbered drill bit. I have a .177 and .25 I could try with. I need to practice up before going for a score, so that I won't be too embarrassed. :)

At my current skill level I would be lucky to average 8.
8 is a good score. :)

Reactions: ThomasT
I did not like looking at my 163 with my P35-177 so I've shot it several times this week trying to improve. I switched pellets from Barracuda Power to Barracuda Match (smaller head size) and it seemed to help. I think this is a 184-4X. This gun has a 4-16 Primary Arms scope which I think is adequate for this and plenty of magnification for hunting but it does make it about impossible to see the X dot. I don't think that hurts much, however, because it is still clear where you are on the target. There was also very little wind this morning. I put out more wind flags for the first time which might have helped me avoid the occasional slight puff of wind. I checked on chair gun to see how much a 5 mph wind affects a 177 pellet at 30 yards and was surprised - so I put out more flags. The one at about 10 yards is in a window of my dining room. The one about 20 yards out is just a bent piece of coat hanger wire with a piece of caution tape tied to it. My one purchased wind flag was less than $20. I'm provably cheap. I'll include a couple pictures of my setup.
P35 from bench.jpg

P35-177 184 4x.jpg

P35 on bags.jpg

Reactions: buckhunter75
Hello @tcarlson777

I would like to enter my latest card that I shot today into the Guns Less Than $800.00 Class. Score of 194 with 12-Xs shooting my Diana Stormrider .177 cal with JSB Heavy 10.34 pellets. Dead calm, overcast and a low temperature of 77-degrees. The Stormrider is un-regulated so I shot 12 rounds and refilled the cylinder and shot the last 12 rounds. I believe this helped my scoring a lot.

ThomasT

Stormrider 08-23-2022.jpg

Great shooting, @ThomasT !! You bested your old score by 10 points. Glad to see that you are giving the Stormrider some attention.
Thank you Tom,
This little rifle shoots better every time I use it and I just love the feel of it, wish it had a bit better trigger. My Crown is supposed to be back here on Thursday and hopefully I can start shooting some more targets.

ThomasT

Reactions: drpietrzak