30-Yard Challenge

Out in the driving rain and gusty breeze again with the S510: Even with the less-than-optimal conditions, I was able to improve on my previous 191 with a 194. I know the S510 is

capable of much better... As someone once stated: "The more I practice, the luckier I get!"

Everyone have a great week!

-RK

AA S510 BR CHALLENGE.1652717171.jpg

BobS,

This is a bit side-topic but why did you decide to use an air gauge versus a PelletGage to assess head size? Do the two approaches give you different guidance? Does one seem more accurate than the other? I believe in pellet sorting and am getting underway studying JSB 13.4 RDs. I found head size to be a spread and POI factor in BR with Air Arms 10.3s. I love the AA 10.3s and still use them with great success for FT but am hoping the 13.4s will do better in BR in windy conditions with my Daystate Pulsar.

Hi, I did try the PelletGage. There were two things I found with it that turned me away. 1) it was a slower process moving from one gauge hole to another and 2) I found that if the pellet was angled a bit it could slip into the hole. So although the air gauge is expensive and does require more equipment, I decided on it. I think I a bit like you when it comes to sorting. I enjoy it and I think logically it makes sense to remove as many variables as possible from the pellet side. I weigh my pellets for matches as well but I have to admit sometimes we get flyers regardless of what we do. And there are some amazing shooters out there that shoot right out of the tin. I guess the question is, if sorting does work, would they be even more amazing? I shoot outside at Open Grove in Oxnard, CA. We have our share of switchy winds and I'm a true believer in wind practice. I'm trying to learn to read my flags better to improve my scores. I think in the long run that is probably the most important think to learn for benchrest. I practice a lot and sometimes I find myself looking at my weather app to tell me how much wind and at what times and have found myself hesitating to go out if it's windy which in reality is probably the wrong thing to do. I think it comes from score obsession - something I've got to break free from. So I think I poured you more info that you probably cared to read. Take care, Bob

Nice shooting with that Royale, tommyb!

Right back at you RK! The Air Arms are beautiful rifles, almost bought one. Might still, some day. 

My next one for a squirrel gun/back yard plinker and low yardage bench rest will probably be a Huntsman Revere, either in .22 or .177. Had a Regal XL and loved it, sold it back to AoA to trade up for the Safari.

Yep, the random 8's are a killer and it's pretty easy for me to hit 9's too when trying for a perfect card. I have an HW100 .22 being serviced by Pyramyd Air currently for a valve leak, and once they fix and reseal the gun, I will try that as well for the challenge.

Good morning everyone,

Couple of months ago @igolfat8 invited me to try my luck at shooting this target and so far I have shot a stack. Today I finally shot one that is presentable to this group of excellent shooters. Looking over some of the other entries I see that I still have a lot of room for improvement :)

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

30-Yd-103.1653055218.jpg

Welcome to our group, ThomasT! That is a good card. You started out on fire with the top row.

Is your Crown a .177?

Hello tcarlson777

Yes it is a .177 and I am just now getting "tuned" and experimenting with a lot of various pellets. So far it likes the JSB Monster 13.43 the best but I am still testing more. Yeah I felt pretty good after that first two sets and then....Oh well, I have plenty of pellets and targets so I hope to improve soon.

ThomasT

Hi ThomasT,

I’m glad to see you took the challenge to join our fun here. You’ve got a great start so keep at it and we will watch and encourage you on as your scores improve.

Hello igolfat8,

Glad to be apart of this group and hope to be able to turn in some better shot targets soon. I am still testing various pellets for my new Crown and looking for that "magic" pellet.

ThomasT 

Got out a couple of days ago with very little wind in the morning. Shooting my RAW 177 at 780 fps using jsb 13.4gr. I plugged with a 22 cal plug we use for 25m usarb. Looking forward to taking my Thomas out next week and slowing down my fps to about 780. Last time I shot it at 815 or so and in two rows I got 2 keyholes and 2 flyers. Maybe too much turbulence coming out of the barrel. Not sure. Bob

30 yd challg.1653158882.jpg