30-Yard Challenge

Too many chores today. I was hoping to try the .30 compact just to see what it would do. At least it is cooler now.

Screenshot_20220409-170444_Chrome.1649551757.jpg

Shot a 198 with the .22 impact. No improvement, But shot in the wind a little bit. See if I can get the .30 barrel on this one as the ernest gun is a bit hellified and I don't think it would be safe or quiet in the tune it is in, even with a emperor on it.

Let's see those .30 scores!

Allen

Well, last night I swapped the .30 barrel in place of the .22 I had. I even backed off the settings from the .22 so I could fire off low 700 fps speeds. With basically the same exact air gun just a heavier pellet and lower settings. The thing shoots very different and it is hard to keep a steady shot. I may stick with this as it may help my groups at the range for 100 and 200 yards. It is funny to see the bigger holes. But it is definitely not any easier to hit the bullseye! At least not currently with my impact as a .30, it isn't easier.

20220410_121454.1649624818.jpg

It's going to take a lot of cards, tins (.30 tins only have 150 pellets), and air to get up to a score of 200 for me. 

Allen

Well, last night I swapped the .30 barrel in place of the .22 I had. I even backed off the settings from the .22 so I could fire off low 700 fps speeds. With basically the same exact air gun just a heavier pellet and lower settings. The thing shoots very different and it is hard to keep a steady shot. I may stick with this as it may help my groups at the range for 100 and 200 yards. It is funny to see the bigger holes. But it is definitely not any easier to hit the bullseye! At least not currently with my impact as a .30, it isn't easier.

20220410_121454.1649624818.jpg

It's going to take a lot of cards, tins (.30 tins only have 150 pellets), and air to get up to a score of 200 for me. 

Allen

Allen

For a short time, I had a .30 cal barrel on my RAW. I recall shooting NUAH and EBR 100 yard targets with the JSB 44g .30 pellets. I checked my saved shot strings today and they were pretty good at around 870 FPS range. Martin told me he tested at 870 FPS at 100 y and sent me a pic of his 10 shot group. Around 1” - 1 1/2” test group in good wind conditions. 

RAW at 100 y
JSB 44g
Wind: 2-4 mph

Shot count: 13
Low: 870
Hi: 884
Avg: 878
Spread: 14
STD Dev: 4.6

Shot count: 8
Low: 877
Hi: 881
Avg: 879
Spread: 4
STD Dev: 1.3

I think if you are going to shoot at 100 yards or more, you will need to increase velocity way beyond 700 FPS for accuracy. You can try shooting some groups at 700 FPS, but it’s not fast enough based on my .30 cal RAW experience.

Give it a try and post some pics or PM me if you get a chance. I am curious t see what velocity works for that .30 Impact. 

Thanks Tommy I actually slowed it down because it was at home and early evening when it was quieter in the neighborhood. At the range it is normally at a higher speed closer to the 880- 890 you indicated and a even a bit higher for slugs. But, you are totally correct about the recoil. I think when I shoot the .30 I tend to have involentary movements in anticipation of the movement of the airgun. At the range I also notice I tend to be best when I first start off in the day. But as the day goes by I pick up bad habits, jerk, jump, anticipate airgun movements with all the powder burners around me. And they all are powder burners out there.

20220214_111001.1649710778.jpg

This is like 7 or 8 shots at 100 yards and each square is 1 inch. Then as the day goes if I don't keep myself in check, it gets worse.

Screenshot_20220314-164404_Gallery.1649711411.jpg

As you can see not all the tables are the same height so I have to stack 2 chairs for this bench. I'm going to bring a stool with a an adjustable height next time. The table is more solid than home once you adjust the legs.

I was going to go to the same range today but had a lot to do. Besides the weather forecast was windy so it gave me the excuse to do other things today.

Allen

So after that post, since I was home I pulled out the .30 😆.

I was hoping somone would post a card with .30s in it before me. I went outside to the shootingtable, adjusted the speed up to 870 and got this.

20220411_155850.1649718432.jpg

It was the first full card I did once I upped the speed.

Screenshot_20220411-161006_Chrome.1649718667.jpg

Im sure some will say i am a total advantage with the big pellet so I am at 36 yards instead of 30. At this distance the wind may have a little bit of affect on the 44gr but not like it would a 18gr. But boy what a difference the shooting table has over the folding table. It still moves but nothing like the the folding table does. Its one of those single pole Caldwells like the one in this picture.

9d9b630d-9507-4417-b017-f63ef8fc39ca._SR285,285_.1649718906.jpg

The groups are a lot tighter at the upper 800 fps speeds

Allen

Thanks Tommy I actually slowed it down because it was at home and early evening when it was quieter in the neighborhood. At the range it is normally at a higher speed closer to the 880- 890 you indicated and a even a bit higher for slugs. But, you are totally correct about the recoil. I think when I shoot the .30 I tend to have involentary movements in anticipation of the movement of the airgun. At the range I also notice I tend to be best when I first start off in the day. But as the day goes by I pick up bad habits, jerk, jump, anticipate airgun movements with all the powder burners around me. And they all are powder burners out there.

O

This is like 7 or 8 shots at 100 yards and each square is 1 inch. Then as the day goes if I don't keep myself in check, it gets worse.

As you can see not all the tables are the same height so I have to stack 2 chairs for this bench. I'm going to bring a stool with a an adjustable height next time. The table is more solid than home once you adjust the legs.

I was going to go to the same range today but had a lot to do. Besides the weather forecast was windy so it gave me the excuse to do other things today.

Allen

Yeah, 880-890 FPS sounds good for the 44g. Also, nice group at 100 yards with the. 1” squares. A “197” at 36 yards is still no gimme, even with the .30. I’m going to try the Taipan Long .25 next week. Since this is all for fun, I’m going to experiment. 

Allen, shooting in the early AM is good for a number of reasons. Wind is normally quieter at dawn and dusk. We are all sharper and more focused in the early hours and normally less people at the range to distract us.

Not sure it will work for you, but I tend to pull my larger caliber and .22 HP guns into my shoulder more firmly. Not tight, but firm into my shoulder with butt stock. Light cheek touch and I release trigger “usually” on a slow steady exhale. Shooting techniques are so varied, but I try a lot of suggestions from better BR shooters and see what works for me. 

Douger and Joe - Nice cards! 

Joe that is a nice card. 👌 actually makes me think about puttinga raw on my list of guns to get. 

Thanks Tommy I'll have to try the stock in the shoulder thing as well as squeezing the trigger on the exhale. It is seems a bit harder to control with the heavier trigger. No where as light as something like a daystate. Bunch of things to keep in mind, when shooting, but I'm sure when it is perfected and more of a muscle reflex it will get better. More practice! More cards!

Allen

Allen,

Try this … Line up your cross hairs on the bull then release all PRESSURE from both hands and see if the cross hairs move? If you are using your non trigger hand on a squeeze bag then just release pressure from your trigger hand. If the cross hairs do move then re-adjust cross hairs and repeat until cross hairs remain on the bull with no influenced body pressure. Only THEN release the shot.

When you are checking the cross hairs to bull relationship or breaking the shot this should be done after you exhale and are not breathing. 

See if this method helps your scores?

Let's talk shooting tables. I've been shooting from the fold out table pictured below. It is not very sturdy. What table do you all use? I'm thinking about buying a stainless steel table that is used for cook prep as it would be much sturdier, and only costs around $100 on Amazon, 2nd pic below. Thoughts? I priced out buying lumber and building one, but that would not save much money.

table1.1650039580.png

table2.1650039586.png

Tcarlson777,

Neither of those two tables are a very sturdy platform to shoot from as pictured. However, you could significantly improve either one by bolting some diagonal braces to all 4 legs. You could use 1x2s or 2x4s which would greatly increase the tables stability. Personally I would build a dedicated shooting table from wood. I also noticed the metal table above has a bottom shelf so you can’t get your feet under neath it.

I built my shooting bench from reclaimed scraps for cheap. Look around at a local Re-Store around you. They may have some supplies at a great discount?