30-Yard Challenge

I like shooting single targets as compared to shooting groups. There is no hiding mistakes when shooting single bulls and it quickly exposes any flaws in technique or equipment.

Ah, the old group vs score debate. All of my CF benchrest competition was group, in RF, some of both. In air rifle, I don't compete, but I shoot a good bit of both group and score targets. I'll offer my perspective, and it's worth what you're paying! Each discipline requires its own focus. To say one is more challenging is difficult, and it probably gets down to individual talent and concentration. I find group shooting more difficult. In score, if you pull a bad shot, say an 8 ring, you're not necessarily out of it. In group competition, if you pull one out of the group by the same measured amount (10 vs 8 ring), then you might as well not even finish the target, you're dead. The flip side, in score, you have to actually hit a point of aim, which kind of makes sense in the greater world of shooting. Many will argue, score is the more practical game, since it relates to hitting your target, hard to argue against it. Group shooting is more a game of precision preparation and absolute consistent execution. Does that relate to hunting, where you need to hit your animal in the right place? Not really. I used to do a lot of groundhog hunting. We would set up beer cans (from the night before of course) at various distances, out to around 350-400 yards, and make notes of our holdovers. If you are a score shooter, that's part of your technique, and you're ahead of the game. If you're a group shooter, well, you need to show up with a couple more beer cans. 

5D3B088D-D5E9-4B37-9C9F-8D465D6AC510.1649291826.jpeg
F4342047-D58B-42B3-A6A6-2B79016610DF.1649291827.jpeg
Two more Tonight, with and without Moderator! Same pellets and conditions. 3-5mph L-R

To add to the conversation, I like both group and score shooting. I shoot several groups of a specific pellet to find a good batch for score matches and would love to have registered group matches as well!

I have often wondered what a competition of 5-5 shot groups would look and feel like in relation to 25 bull score competition? Then do three relays of those group cards as in score. 

Guys

This is Tom’s 30 yard challenge. He set up the rules less than a week ago, with input from us.

We had a vigorous discussion on whether or not to ‘cover’ or just ‘touch’ the X dot less than a week ago to score an X. As far as I can count, there are still only about a dozen or less AGN participants. It’s great that we have “three” shooters who have scored a ‘200’ but until there are many more who can achieve that distinction, I think we should be patient and give it a while before we make a rules change. 

It would be nice if we could attract more folks who would try their luck. As an example only, if we had 30 regular shooters and 40% regularly shot 200 scores, we would all know it is too easy. The example I illustrated may be wrong on the ratio, but hopefully you see the point.

I don’t want to intercede in this competition, I will comply with all the rules. Which I already do!

I do not believe It’s to easy nor do I believe I can shoot 200’s every time I roll up to the bench, if conditions are favorable and I do my part reading those conditions than I hope to achieve a decent score, hopefully a 195 or better regardless of X count. 

I like shooting single targets as compared to shooting groups. There is no hiding mistakes when shooting single bulls and it quickly exposes any flaws in technique or equipment.

Ah, the old group vs score debate. All of my CF benchrest competition was group, in RF, some of both. In air rifle, I don't compete, but I shoot a good bit of both group and score targets. I'll offer my perspective, and it's worth what you're paying! Each discipline requires its own focus. To say one is more challenging is difficult, and it probably gets down to individual talent and concentration. I find group shooting more difficult. In score, if you pull a bad shot, say an 8 ring, you're not necessarily out of it. In group competition, if you pull one out of the group by the same measured amount (10 vs 8 ring), then you might as well not even finish the target, you're dead. The flip side, in score, you have to actually hit a point of aim, which kind of makes sense in the greater world of shooting. Many will argue, score is the more practical game, since it relates to hitting your target, hard to argue against it. Group shooting is more a game of precision preparation and absolute consistent execution. Does that relate to hunting, where you need to hit your animal in the right place? Not really. I used to do a lot of groundhog hunting. We would set up beer cans (from the night before of course) at various distances, out to around 350-400 yards, and make notes of our holdovers. If you are a score shooter, that's part of your technique, and you're ahead of the game. If you're a group shooter, well, you need to show up with a couple more beer cans.

Not say anything about this current game it's fine just wanting to add about the group versus score thing. In my cast bullet shooting we have a target that we shoot five targets with five shots each for a score of 250 possible points. Then you measure each target group add them together and subtract total from the score giving you the over-all score. The best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds, I haven't figured that one out yet but it is a fun match. It does leave you scratching your head sometime. 

Guys

This is Tom’s 30 yard challenge. He set up the rules less than a week ago, with input from us.

We had a vigorous discussion on whether or not to ‘cover’ or just ‘touch’ the X dot less than a week ago to score an X. As far as I can count, there are still only about a dozen or less AGN participants. It’s great that we have “three” shooters who have scored a ‘200’ but until there are many more who can achieve that distinction, I think we should be patient and give it a while before we make a rules change. 

It would be nice if we could attract more folks who would try their luck. As an example only, if we had 30 regular shooters and 40% regularly shot 200 scores, we would all know it is too easy. The example I illustrated may be wrong on the ratio, but hopefully you see the point.

I think when it warms up a bit more people will join in!! I know I cant wait for some nice days (Its snowing hear this morning) LOL

Let's stay with the same rules, an X just needs to touch the center black dot. For the 200 shooters, if you are interested in a tie-breaker, feel free to add a XX for when you completely remove the center black dot. That would help break the tie at 200 17X. For the rest of us sub-200 shooters, no need to count XX's.

leaders.1649332177.png

Using XXs for a tie breaker is a good idea. Never thought of that.