30-Yard Challenge

Ed, excellent job updating, it must have been a bunch of work.

For my two listings, the 199 was shot with the Vector Sentinel at 32X and the velocity is about 835 fps. For the 194, the scope is a Athlon Talos 6-24 set at 24X and the velocity is about 900 fps.

I hope you still get time to do some shooting.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Incredible August weather here in CT - 81 degrees for a high temp today! I’m gonna be shooting in my yard…

…I even weighed a few Crosman 14.3s yesterday because that darn TommyB posted a 198 with his Weihrauch, so now I gotta make a run at 198, lol

I’ll update the leaderboard data with the additional info you provided - thanks.

-Ed

My Ghost in it's 177 carbine form was shooting good yesterday so I shot a couple of targets. The best was a 193 9x, I shot another this AM and got a 196 12X. Nice backyard gun, it would be a lighter with a smaller scope but I don't carry it around much at this point.
It has a Crimson Trace X3, 4x20 FFP right now. The dots are a bit big for a target scope, they cover the entire 10 ring at 20X.
Shooting FX 10.3g at 906fps unsorted, cleaned and lubed.
20230805_092911.jpg

20230805_102728.jpg

My Ghost in it's 177 carbine form was shooting good yesterday so I shot a couple of targets. The best was a 193 9x, I shot another this AM and got a 196 12X. Nice backyard gun, it would be a lighter with a smaller scope but I don't carry it around much at this point.
It has a Crimson Trace X3, 4x20 FFP right now. The dots are a bit big for a target scope, they cover the entire 10 ring at 20X.
Shooting FX 10.3g at 906fps unsorted, cleaned and lubed.
View attachment 378187

View attachment 378188
you could place your POA two rings down , so the dot is not covered ? just line the virticle cross hair on the X

Reactions: rc4fun
My 1st TYC card in about a week… using the HW110, clean barrel and “crazy Crosmans “ - but I weighed em.

189 9X. Broke my streak of 190+s with the HW110 and CPUDs. But overall I’m pleased with this target as it was very breezy this morning, so much so that I wouldn’t normally shoot a TYC card. I really battled the breeze and focused.

Only 1 “crazy Crosman” flyer on Target 6 kept me from scoring over 190 in the wind @720fps.

I used my new high-tech wind flag that an AGN member posted a how-to over on the Resources thread, lol - it works well.

-Ed

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

Reactions: Florida_Man
you could place your POA two rings down , so the dot is not covered ? just line the virticle cross hair on the X
Yes I could do that but then it would be different from my other guns. For now I'll put up with it, And change the scope later or just use it for larger non-critical targets. My Vector Veyron would work for a carry around gun.

Yes I could do that but then it would be different from my other guns. For now I'll put up with it, And change the scope later or just use it for larger non-critical targets. My Vector Veyron would work for a carry around gun.
shooting the 30 yd challenge your poa would be apx.1/4 inch down from X

192 10x

Maverick is back and I'm back. My son was born on Wednesday this week and thanks to my in-laws I was able to get out and sight this in. I have been shooting AA 10.3gr, but switched back to the Crosman 10.5's today. It seemed to settle in a bit halfway down the card, but I was also concentrating on staying on target after the shot. I'm a little rusty but happy. First time zeroing the new Midas Tac at 30y.

FX Maverick Compact 177
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x @ 24 power
No limits rings
DonnyFL Tatsu
Crosman Premier 10.5's sorted by weight and used the 10.53's
Single shot try
Bench bipod with bag at rear.

192 10x

Maverick is back and I'm back. My son was born on Wednesday this week and thanks to my in-laws I was able to get out and sight this in. I have been shooting AA 10.3gr, but switched back to the Crosman 10.5's today. It seemed to settle in a bit halfway down the card, but I was also concentrating on staying on target after the shot. I'm a little rusty but happy. First time zeroing the new Midas Tac at 30y.

FX Maverick Compact 177
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x @ 24 power
No limits rings
DonnyFL Tatsu
Crosman Premier 10.5's sorted by weight and used the 10.53's
Single shot try
Bench bipod with bag at rear.

Nice shooting with that Maverick Florida_Man!

Always nice to shoot over 190 with Crosman pellets. Only one Crazy Crosman flyer on your card - Target #4. I think the .177 10.5 domes are Crosman’s best pellet.

What velocity are you shooting them at? I had great results with my Gauntlet shooting those Crosman 10.5s at 850 to 855fps.

Btw, this beats your previous 190 with the Maverick, I’ll update the leaderboard.

Finally, congrats on the birth of your son!! Mine will be 27 later this year.

-Ed

Nice shooting with that Maverick Florida_Man!

Always nice to shoot over 190 with Crosman pellets. Only one Crazy Crosman flyer on your card - Target #4. I think the .177 10.5 domes are Crosman’s best pellet.

What velocity are you shooting them at? I had great results with my Gauntlet shooting those Crosman 10.5s at 850 to 855fps.

Btw, this beats your previous 190 with the Maverick, I’ll update the leaderboard.

Finally, congrats on the birth of your son!! Mine will be 27 later this year.

-Ed
Thanks! I did very basic tuning, the Labradar didn’t come out. I don’t get much time right now so I have to make the best of what I have. When it left FX USA warranty they said it was shooting jsb 10.3 at 890 I think on hammer dial 7. I did some groups with two different donnyfl’s at various hammer settings. I landed on hammer dial 3 grouped the best with the crosman.

Short answer is I can tell you in the morning , my goal today was getting on paper and shooting a card.

My goal is still to get a 200 with the Crosmans!

Last edited:
I beat ya this morning with Crosmans Florida Man. 191 8X with Weihrauch HW110 shooting CPUD 14.3s @ 715 down to 707 fps - it was falling off the reg, but does so very gradually with this mild tune.

Pellets straight from tin.

Also using Midas Tac 6x24 @24x

187 is always a solid score with Crazy Crosmans. The flyer on Target #5 was not me or the breeze, I followed through well on that shot that barely caught the 8-ring with the scoring plug.

IMG_2627.jpeg

Reactions: Florida_Man
Solid card Florida_Man. Except for Target #4, your vertical consistency looks great - which is difficult and the key with Crosmans IMHO.

Check this out, I’m actually submitting this 199 12X for the leaderboard. It’s a strange 199 card - lots of 10s. I actually had a chance for a 200 on the last shot… and hit a nine - but I was thinking it was about a 195 or 196 card.

Daystate Wolverine R HP .22 . I love 1:32 slow twist polygonal pellet barrels, and only the HP version of the DS Wolverine comes with one. I bought it used off an AGN member- it was basically brand new - got a great deal. I bought it for the barrel, lol.

I’ve only shot about 3 TYC cards with it - it shot a 198 on its 2nd card using 25.4g MRDs @ 900fps.

Here’s the thing about 1:32 twist polygonal barrels, they keep pellets stable and accurate WAY above normal (880fps) pellet speeds.

Check out the velocity… I shot this 199 at 1,027 fps (!!!) using 18.13g FX pellets !

These slow twist rate barrels are not supposed to be good for slugs (slugs are spin stabilized), but I don’t shoot slugs.

This card was a whim - cause I was like “how much precision can you achieve shooting pellets above 1,000fps?” - apparently quite a bit - I’m a bit surprised and I know a lot about this type of barrel (own 4 of them).

The Wolverine is basically unadjustable - unless you take the gun apart. Even then its a bit more surgery than simply removing the stock to access the hammer spring adjuster. I adjusted the trigger massively (even swapped in my own spring) and I tightened some stuff that was not right when I received the rifle. If it can be this accurate with both MRDs and 18.13s, I’m gonna resist the urge to tear it apart and tune it down.

Cool rifle, pretty too…. 1,027 fps 199 - damn.

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

I haven't shot a score better than my previous in quite awhile but continue to shoot some. My latest "invention" is a windage adjustable monopod. The highest score I've shot with it is a 197 with 14X, did that this morning. I shot a 196 with it on 8/3. It is 90+ temperature here with high humidity so I don't enjoy being outside even though my shooting bench is shaded. I'll also include a couple pictures of my adjustable monopod. I think DonnyFL/Sabre tactical sells something like this for $250. I spent about $20 on hardware store items to make mine. Doesn't seem to help my scores but I don't think it's hurting either. Like my Caldwell Rock Br rest, it makes it easier to set the rifle up for the next target. I'm shooting my P35 in 22 caliber with H&N Baracuda Match pellets at about 835 fps. Sighting is via a Vector 8-32 set at 32X - all just like my best 199 score.

Since the 196 on 8/3 my P35-22 was not giving me the 195 or better scores it fairly routinely provides. So I decided to clean the barrel this morning and the 197 was the first target after I got it re-sighted. I had to change the zero significantly and reset the zeros on the scope. So if I find myself needing to adjust the scope I will hopefully remember to clean the barrel. I also shot a poor target recently after failing to check the tank pressure. I fell badly off the reg. I feel silly forgetting basic things but it's nice when I diagnose what isn't working quite right.

197 14x.jpg

windage monopod on 22.jpg

windage adjustable monopod.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief