• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Too windy for me to try a sheet but I got my pellet order and shot 10 of the FX 10.3s. The ES was just under 3fps over 10 shots. I tried H&N Match 4.5 and 4.52 too and both were about 4 fps. So the FX are looking promising. Definitely worth trying. I don't know if ES will separate the best from good pellets but it seems to tell me which ones are not accurate pretty quickly. My rule of thumb is over 10 fps ES for 10 shots is just not a good shooting pellet in that gun.

I'm taking it with the wind today. This 189 took me twice as long as the 190 from yesterday. Oh and I washed some pellets that I inspected the skirts on to use. I got outside and dumped them all on the ground. So still a out of the box rifle with pellets out of the tin.
Wind has no mercy when you are trying to hit a pinhead at 30 yards.

189 is good shootin’ in the wind. I’ve had some great wind cards, but it’s always a bit of a guessing game as the wind constantly changes.

Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
Hi Guys!
It's been a while since I shot one of these cards. Spent a lot of time recently practicing my HFT shooting - particularly the offhand position. Between my hip and knee replacements I can't sit on my foot for the kneeling shots so I take those standing. So a bunch of practise offhand was required. I am improving, but it is slow.
Decided to shoot a couple of cards today, mainly to check the zero on my crown. The first one tied my best score of 199 but added a few more X's. So that is good. Shot this at 16X on my scope to keep up my HFT practice. After shooting it I thought maybe if I increased to 25X I might get to the magical 200. Alas, the second one had more X's but a slightly lower score. I also really had to work to keep my pulse from moving the sight picture too much. Maybe 16X is a better way to do this.
Anyway, I had fun and my zero checked out pretty well ;-).
30 yd Challange 6-5-23 (2).jpg
30 yd Challange 6-5-23.jpg

Cheers,
Greg

• Love
Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
Nice targets. I shot a couple with my leaky P35-177 today to test the FX 10.3s I just got. I shot a 174 with the FX then shot a target with the H&N Baracuda Match 4.52s it seems to like best. I shot a 186 with the H&Ns. I've shot a 194 with those H&Ns so I was not at my best but I don't think the FX are going to be my favorite pellet for this gun. I will try a few more targets with them to be sure, however. Seems to take a couple magazines for the POI to stabilize when I switch between them.

I also have H&N Baracuda match 5.52s to test in my P35-22. I shot my first one hole 25 yard group with them in that gun but I haven't shot them since my scores have improved a bit. The 5.51s I've been shooting also gave me a one hole group at 25 but that doesn't guarantee which is the best on the 30 yard challenge. I already tested some JSBs in that gun and found them not quite as accurate.

Getting tired of shooting groups? Try this game out. You shoot all 24 bulls once at 30 yards. Next, eliminate your two lowest pairs. Then, add up your score, with a Max of 200. My best target using my Vet Long is below, as is the target I used. It would be a really great shooter who could get a 200. The 10 ring is 3.28mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly. Post up your best score and what gun you used!

View attachment 206886

Here are the scoring rules:

If the hole touches the next higher ring, score to the higher ring. Use a pellet, skirt down, if the hole is ragged.

To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring surrounding the black dot.

To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot in the center. (This is different than the instructions on the bottom of the target, due to us shooting at 30-yards)

.177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.

Once you shoot all 24 bulls, you get to eliminate your lowest two sets (mulligans) see the target above how I slashed out my two lowest pairs.

Score the remaining 20 targets for a Max score of 200. Also add your X's if you have any.

So a perfect score would be 200 20X. Please post up your scores and what rifle you are shooting. Have fun!!

download.png
View attachment 206891
Now you've done it!
Lol
👍

I'm taking the opportunity to learn the wind. I need to shoot at 630 am if I want a possibility of still air. I'm thoroughly enjoying the learning. My yard is slightly protected, but the gusts can really play havoc.
Crosman 10.5's straight from the box

Day 2 189, but 9X today.
That’s a good idea - get out early, it’s usually calmer then… of course I’d need coffee before I start, lol.

That’s a good idea - get out early, it’s usually calmer then… of course I’d need coffee before I start, lol.
100%. I’m a former golfer, current husband. I used to like getting on the course at the first tee time so to get as many holes in before the wind picked up. I’m 4 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean, so it’s always breezy.

My new Maverick developed a breech leak that isn't the o-ring, so I can shoot today. :cry:
It's also raining and lightning, so either way a no go.

Last edited:
I can only shoot in the morning if it's cloudy. If it's sunny I'm looking into the sun and I can't see the target. But right before sunset the wind normally goes away here too. At just the right time I have the sun behind me giving me an extra good look at the target.

I've been trying the 5.52s in the H&N Baracuda Match my P35-22 likes. First two targets were 181s. Then a 183. Today was a 195. A week off and I was jerking the trigger sometimes and not taking enough time positioning the gun. Still not sure about the 5.52s but my previous conclusion was that the gun likes them and 5.51s about equally as well. I've shot a lot more 190+ with the 5.51s but if I can duplicate this mornings targets or a bit better that will be my conclusion. Took a raccoon with them today too.

Got outside at lunch today and shot a couple cards with my Weihrauch HW110 .22.

First card was a 190 10X.

Then this card - a 194 11X that I’m submitting for the leaderboard - as its my high score with this rifle.

Shooting little JSB 13.43g RS pellets at 725-730fps . I get like 100 shots per fill on this tiny airtube, lol

Had to figure out how to use this 6x24 FFP (Athlon Argos Gen 1) scope best for this challenge. Since the reticle gets thick in comparison to the “10” on this target, I still use 22x but have zeroed just to the side of the crosshair - so that the 10 is not obstructed.

-Ed

IMG_2358.jpeg

Reactions: JimD
I was shooting my Akela .177 out to 50 yards tonight - and it was shooting awesome.

When I finished with the Akela, I picked up my Daystate Huntsman Regal .22 (unregulated).

I rarely shoot the Huntsman because its so “boringly accurate” with 15.89g JSBs.

I loaded 3 magazines (two Daystate and one CARM), took two shots to check zero and then….

… my 1st 200 score!!

My last shot (left target on block 11) missed - otherwise I’d have had 11 pairs of 20!

I knew this was gonna be a good card as my 1st 6 shots were Xs!

I submit this 200 15x for the leaderboard - replacing my previous high of 198 with the Huntsman Regal.

I gave her a kiss as I put her back in the gunrack, lol.

- Ed

IMG_2359.jpeg

I was shooting my Akela .177 out to 50 yards tonight - and it was shooting awesome.

When I finished with the Akela, I picked up my Daystate Huntsman Regal .22 (unregulated).

I rarely shoot the Huntsman because its so “boringly accurate” with 15.89g JSBs.

I loaded 3 magazines (two Daystate and one CARM), took two shots to check zero and then….

… my 1st 200 score!!

My last shot (left target on block 11) missed - otherwise I’d have had 11 pairs of 20!

I knew this was gonna be a good card as my 1st 6 shots were Xs!

I submit this 200 15x for the leaderboard - replacing my previous high of 198 with the Huntsman Regal.

I gave her a kiss as I put her back in the gunrack, lol.

- Ed
VERY NICE! Great shooting.

VERY NICE! Great shooting.
Thanks Florida Man,

The difference between 200 and say 197 is just a bit of luck when you shoot pellets straight from the tin.

I was definitely locked in that day. This morning I shot a 191 with my .177 Dreamline and I was noticeably shaky - either too much bourbon last night, not enough coffee this morning… or both, lol.

I’ll shoot again later today - maybe I’ll be steadier.

Thanks Florida Man,

The difference between 200 and say 197 is just a bit of luck when you shoot pellets straight from the tin.

I was definitely locked in that day. This morning I shot a 191 with my .177 Dreamline and I was noticeably shaky - either too much bourbon last night, not enough coffee this morning… or both, lol.

I’ll shoot again later today - maybe I’ll be steadier.
Not enough bourbon in the coffee this morning is my guess🫣

Reactions: EPG
I finally shot a target a bit better than my previous best about 8:15am today. It was calm and I decided to try one despite the sun in my eyes. I shot a 199 with 18Xs. My previous best was a 199 with 14Xs. Both these scores were with my P35-22 shooting H&N Baracuda Match 5.51 pellets. Lots of Xs, 20 total including the squares I didn't count, but also 2 8s. Not sure what happened on those. Probably my trigger squeeze but I'm shooting pellets straight from the tin so that seems like a possibility too.

I got a new rest late last week and this was about the 10th target I've shot with it. I bought a Caldwell Rock BR. I was using bipod and a home made monopod. This 199-18X is the first target with the Caldwell that was better than my best with the bipod. In general it isn't helping my scores but it is a lot easier to make lateral adjustments using the knob than it was by moving the monopod. It is thus more relaxing to shoot a target with the Caldwell. Not sure it was a great purchase but I needed it at least as bad as another scope - the other purchase I was thinking about. It was about $135 on Amazon.
P35-22 199 18X.jpg

Reactions: rc4fun and EPG
I finally shot a target a bit better than my previous best about 8:15am today. It was calm and I decided to try one despite the sun in my eyes. I shot a 199 with 18Xs. My previous best was a 199 with 14Xs. Both these scores were with my P35-22 shooting H&N Baracuda Match 5.51 pellets. Lots of Xs, 20 total including the squares I didn't count, but also 2 8s. Not sure what happened on those. Probably my trigger squeeze but I'm shooting pellets straight from the tin so that seems like a possibility too.

I got a new rest late last week and this was about the 10th target I've shot with it. I bought a Caldwell Rock BR. I was using bipod and a home made monopod. This 199-18X is the first target with the Caldwell that was better than my best with the bipod. In general it isn't helping my scores but it is a lot easier to make lateral adjustments using the knob than it was by moving the monopod. It is thus more relaxing to shoot a target with the Caldwell. Not sure it was a great purchase but I needed it at least as bad as another scope - the other purchase I was thinking about. It was about $135 on Amazon.

Nice shooting JimD ! That’s more Xs than I’ve ever got - I think 16 is my record.

Its interesting that both your 8s were similar - low and right.

Keep working with that Rock - I like solutions that make it easier and more fun to shoot.