• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

1st 30 Yard Challenge card that I’ve shot since May 13th - and I hit 196 12X. This ties my record with the Reximex Daystar .177.

Very cool thing is that this is the 8th consecutive card with this rifle of 193+.

Its also the 2nd consecutive time I’ve shot 4 cards (all 193+) on a single fill on a $450 unregulated air tube rifle. Since cutting the hammer spring from 2.65” to 2.60”, its gotten even better (hammer spring was originally 3.10” from the manufacturer)!

That’s over 100 shots on a fill shooting pinhead sized targets accurately with an unregulated .177. I’d say she’s “tuned”, lol.

Gotta love unregulated. You can pick them up anytime, no matter how many days have passed, and the 1st shot is spot on - can’t say that for most regulated rifles. These 4 cards were over the span of 8 days.

-Ed

IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

My 2nd and likely last 30 Yard Challenge card tonight.

This time grabbed my Prophet Performance V1 .22 LR. Shooting FX Atomic 15.89g pellets (same as JSB Hades) at 915fps - they were smacking the cardboard,lol.

Shooting well tonight- this is a 196 15x ! It does not beat my 197 11x with the Prophet .22, but I sure like the 15X over the 11x !

-Ed

IMG_2272.jpeg

An experiment using my 15.89g tune (895fps) with 18.13g in my RTI Prophet V1 with .22 LR barrel.

It shoots the 18.13g 815-820 fps with this tune. Seems to have excellent accuracy at this somewhat slower (than I usually shoot) velocity.

-Ed

View attachment 358997

Reminds me of that old cartoon with the Turtle and the Hare….” Faster isn’t always better. Slow and steady wins the race, as the Turtle says to the Hare after beating him.”

I know many .22 caliber Airgun Brands like 880 FPS for optimum accuracy, but my HW100 and Revere are shooting the 18.1 at 825 and 845 FPS respectively, and with good results. My FX Royale likes 880 FPS with the 18.1g.

Slowing our pellet velocities down especially at shorter distances, can yield some surprisingly good results.

Tom

Reminds me of that old cartoon with the Turtle and the Hare….” Faster isn’t always better. Slow and steady wins the race, as the Turtle says to the Hare after beating him.”

I know many .22 caliber Airgun Brands like 880 FPS for optimum accuracy, but my HW100 and Revere are shooting the 18.1 at 825 and 845 FPS respectively, and with good results. My FX Royale likes 880 FPS with the 18.1g.

Slowing our pellet velocities down especially at shorter distances, can yield some surprisingly good results.

Tom
Yep, I agree.

I like lower reg pressures too. Then you don’t have to whack the valve as hard to release the shot. The harder you need to whack the valve, the “harsher” the gun feels - just my opinion.

I don’t think 880 is optimal, its just a guideline before velocity enters the “transonic” region where pellet flight CAN (not necessarily will) become more unstable.

My Prophet.22 and .25 LR barrels were designed with a slow twist rate to allow pellets to remain stable at up to 1,070fps. I’ve tested and they do - and accuracy can be excellent at those high velocities…. If you can manage the rifle - I find it tougher to maintain accuracy due to the rifle seeming a bit more “jumpy” when releasing the shot. Could be just in my head…

Reactions: ThomasT
To stir up some interest in our 30 yard challenge, I did some bragging in the PCP Forum, lol.

I surprised even myself tonight shooting this challenge with my Akela in a storm, lol.

Reactions: tommyb
Nice recovery on this card…

Took my 1st shot and realized my Prophet was not zeroed - had last shot 18.13g at a different distance.

Rezeroed and then finished the card shooting 196 13X - heck, that’s one of my top 3 scores with the Prophet .22.

I did break my rule of no “sighters” once you start the card - I had no choice but to rezero with sighters after the 1st target was way off.

I like the way I finished the last row - 4 Xs !

IMG_2284.jpeg

My only 30 Yard Challenge card I shot today.

Actually took only 26 shots today - 2 sighters before starting this card and then 24 shots.

Reximex Daystar continues to amaze. After I hyper polished and tuned this thing, it has now shot 10 straight cards of 193 or better!

I’m disappointed at myself as I rushed the 2nd half of this card, light was fading, but I had time. This easily could have been a 198 or even a 199 - which I’ve never shot. 15Xs and I shot the card in about 5 minutes. Damn!

-Ed

70700952537__E48AC4EC-030C-4BDD-AE3C-1D7500014737.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

Not sure I can easily find it but I had a goofy target before my 1 week "vacation" to move my Mother into a nursing home. My first 12 targets had 10 tens - only the two in the 5 block had issues with my P35-177. But then I averaged a 9 on the next half a card. I'm sure some of it was me but I also think I got lucky on a few shots on the first half the card and unlucky on a few on the second half. Hard to have only good luck for 20 of 24 shots.

So a big part of my recent rifle purchase was to get involved in this thread! I love challenges I can do in my yard.

I bought a 177 Maverick Compact. I have done zero tuning so far. I have only shot Crosman 10.5gr also. So I hope I have room to improve.

The only thing I changed was turning the hammer spring from 7 to 5. UA said it was shooting 10.34gr JSB at 920 fps, so I figured it could go down a little.

I spotted 3 pellets on this card destabilized.

So my first go is a 190 with 9X. I was trying to beat a storm coming in, it may have helped me.

I'm happy to be here!

So a big part of my recent rifle purchase was to get involved in this thread! I love challenges I can do in my yard.

I bought a 177 Maverick Compact. I have done zero tuning so far. I have only shot Crosman 10.5gr also. So I hope I have room to improve.

The only thing I changed was turning the hammer spring from 7 to 5. UA said it was shooting 10.34gr JSB at 920 fps, so I figured it could go down a little.

I spotted 3 pellets on this card destabilized.

So my first go is a 190 with 9X. I was trying to beat a storm coming in, it may have helped me.

I'm happy to be here!

Congrats! You are the first person to ever post a score of 190 or better shooting Crosman pellets!

I tried with my Weihrauch HW110 .22 - it shoots Crosman 14.3g well - but I never hit 190 officially. I hit 189 four times. I had a “practice“ card that I shot 196 (!) with the Crosma pellets, but I started the card on the 2nd row as it was started the previous day - I was shooting so well that I finished by shooting the 1st row of a 2nd card and wound up with the 196, lol. That taught me to always start with a clean card - no such thing as practice cards.

This Challenge is tougher than it initially seems. I’ve never shot above 198 - yet.

I’m not surprised that the 10.5g Crosmans did well - I think that is their most consistent shooting pellet.

Glad to have you join the group!

-Ed

Congrats! You are the first person to ever post a score of 190 or better shooting Crosman pellets!

I tried with my Weihrauch HW110 .22 - it shoots Crosman 14.3g well - but I never hit 190 officially. I hit 189 four times. I had a “practice“ card that I shot 196 (!) with the Crosma pellets, but I started the card on the 2nd row as it was started the previous day - I was shooting so well that I finished by shooting the 1st row of a 2nd card and wound up with the 196, lol. That taught me to always start with a clean card - no such thing as practice cards.

This Challenge is tougher than it initially seems. I’ve never shot above 198 - yet.

I’m not surprised that the 10.5g Crosmans did well - I think that is their most consistent shooting pellet.

Glad to have you join the group!

-Ed
Thanks! I may have to sort some pellets and see what I can do with the Crosmans!
I have these around when i have time to do some testing.

First time I ever shot something like this for a score so... had a lot of fun and didn't really expect 30 yds to be as challenging as it is was! Shot a second card but only a 191 - 8X. Surely this will help improve form and scores if you keep at it.

View attachment 361417
Salty - Nice shooting with your Royale! I have the same gun and boy are they accurate with the 18.1 pellet.

Wow, everyone I’ve seen with an FX Royale 400 500 or Boss absolutely loves the thing!

I’m submitting a 197 9X with my Dreamline .177 for the Leaderboard. It replaces the couple of 196s that were my previous high with the Dreamline.

It’s funny, the previous card I shot with the Dreamline was 194 but had 14Xs. As you know, I shoot this challenge straight from the tin and no sighters after you start the card - so I had a couple of crazy ass flyer pellets on the 194 card.

55 degrees here in Connecticut in June! It was almost 90 degrees yesterday! Crazy weather, but at least not windy.

-Ed

IMG_2345.jpeg

I got one good tin of Crosman 10.5s but the next two shot much worse and I bought a head size gauge to investigate why. Head sizes were very inconsistent. I hope you have some good tins.

I have not shot any JSBs yet in my P35-177 but have a tin of FX 10.3s on the way, should arrive tomorrow. I plan to try them but it has developed a leak so I need to check velocity consistency. Doesn't seem to be the poppet so maybe it will still shoot OK. I also ordered some 5.52 Baracuda Match for my P35-22. It's been shooting 5.51s well but who knows, maybe it will shoot better with the 5.52s.

Those targets look great!

I’d also like to resubmit my high score card for my Akela .177. This was back when I had a 6x24 scope on the Akela - as 18x magnification or better really helps on this challenge.

Originally I scored it a 192 9X - this was in February before I had a .22 scoring gauge.

I carefully rescored it using the gauge and it is a 197 11X - I checked very closely.

So resubmitting as 197 and 11X with the .177 Akela.

Thanks,

Ed

IMG_2346.jpeg