30-Yard Challenge

It had been 200 days since my first, and only, 200 score with my RTI Prophet (Not that I was counting. . . ). Not sure why, but since that day last August the highest score with my Prophet has been a 198. Well today ended my drought. My FX Crown came through for it's first 200 after a few 199s. It was very low wind today, 2mph, and I had just changed to a new pellet, the FX 13.43 Monsters, version 1. After my first 200 score last year I naively thought, "I guess 200s will be easy from now on". Not so fast! Shooting a 200 on this challenge is very difficult.

200 15x FX Crown.jpg

It had been 200 days since my first, and only, 200 score with my RTI Prophet (Not that I was counting. . . ). Not sure why, but since that day last August the highest score with my Prophet has been a 198. Well today ended my drought. My FX Crown came through for it's first 200 after a few 199s. It was very low wind today, 2mph, and I had just changed to a new pellet, the FX 13.43 Monsters, version 1. After my first 200 score last year I naively thought, "I guess 200s will be easy from now on". Not so fast! Shooting a 200 on this challenge is very difficult.

View attachment 340741
Hello @tcarlson777

Kudos to you Tom, that is a beautiful card. Those new pellets shoot really well, you dead-centered several of the X's 🎯. Sure feels good when you do shoot that elusive 200 :love: . Everyone on this Forum should shoot this target at least one time to appreciate the skill level it takes to get that 200.

ThomasT

Hello @tcarlson777

Kudos to you Tom, that is a beautiful card. Those new pellets shoot really well, you dead-centered several of the X's 🎯. Sure feels good when you do shoot that elusive 200 :love: . Everyone on this Forum should shoot this target at least one time to appreciate the skill level it takes to get that 200.

ThomasT

Amen, especially in reference to your last sentence. Nice card Tom!

I was going to try a few cards today, but the heavy wind was way beyond my skill level. Just shot some groups with the .22 Revere and and .22 HW100.

It's cool here today, it started out in the 30s but the wind was low and I was bored so I tried a few. I started out with my P35-177 trying to get it up over 190. I had shot 5 targets over 180 including three 187s but I had one target so poor I quit this morning (two 15s) and then one under 180. It was wearing my one 8-32 scope so I swapped it over to my P35-22 which gave me a 194 last year with it's 6-24 Athlon Talos. First target was this 195 9X. So maybe it wasn't me. But the wind picked up a bit and the 22 cares noticably less. My 8-32 is a low end Vector and I don't think it makes a huge difference but it is nice to be able to see the X dot. Since last year I also put a patio square in the ground level enough I can put my pellet trap there on a stand (so it's above the height of my dog) so I am shooting at just over 30 yards instead of about 34. I also made myself a monopod for the back end of the gun but I think that is mostly convenience rather than improved scoring. I was using a bag last year. Now if I can just increase my patience and slow down a little... I really like my P35-22. It's a better gun than I think you can reasonably expect for less than $500. I still like the 177 but it is just not as accurate.

I just looked at the scan and then the target again. I don't think 7 is really a 20 as I originally scored it, it is a 19. So my score should be a 195, not a 196. The left target on 3 looked questionable to me too so I looked at it again and I am sure it is a 9, I provided a picture with the gauge in the hole. Sorry I had to edit this several times, I am out of practice posting these.

P35-22 195 9X third scan.jpg

3 cell of 195 target.jpg

Last edited:
It's cool here today, it started out in the 30s but the wind was low and I was bored so I tried a few. I started out with my P35-177 trying to get it up over 190. I had shot 5 targets over 180 including three 187s but I had one target so poor I quit this morning (two 15s) and then one under 180. It was wearing my one 8-32 scope so I swapped it over to my P35-22 which gave me a 194 last year with it's 6-24 Athlon Talos. First target was this 196 9X. So maybe it wasn't me. But the wind picked up a bit and the 22 cares noticably less. My 8-32 is a low end Vector and I don't think it makes a huge difference but it is nice to be able to see the X dot. Since last year I also put a patio square in the ground level enough I can put my pellet trap there on a stand (so it's above the height of my dog) so I am shooting at just over 30 yards instead of about 34. I also made myself a monopod for the back end of the gun but I think that is mostly convenience rather than improved scoring. I was using a bag last year. Now if I can just increase my patience and slow down a little... I really like my P35-22. It's a better gun than I think you can reasonably expect for less than $500. I still like the 177 but it is just not as accurate.

View attachment 340943
Hello @JimD

A very well shot card Jim (y) . I have found that every little positive change does make an improvement.

ThomasT

Thanks Thomas. I am still hoping for a bit better from the 22 and may go back to the 177 at some point. I agree completely with the "it isn't easy" posted earlier. I learned things shooting these targets that make me a better shot in general. I think these scores are a better way to test myself and my guns than shooting groups.

• Love
Reactions: tommyb and ThomasT
Thanks Thomas. I am still hoping for a bit better from the 22 and may go back to the 177 at some point. I agree completely with the "it isn't easy" posted earlier. I learned things shooting these targets that make me a better shot in general. I think these scores are a better way to test myself and my guns than shooting groups.

Jim - you make a good observation about ‘how to truly test yourself’ when we shoot for score vs. testing for accuracy shooting groups. Both are 100% necessary, but each discipline serves a different purpose. I use the groups for diagnostic purposes primarily vs. shooting paper targets for score.

One is incredibly more difficult than the other.

I’ve got a Weihrauch HW110 that I tuned down in power. Changed barrel from 600mm to 410mm and swapped hammer spring shuttle to UK spec version.

The new barrel shoots CPHP 14.3s quite well. Usually this pellet is a bit too inconsistent to use for precision target shooting like this 30 yard challenge.

Tonight I shot one target at dusk. Rifle was not zeroed yet. Using 740fps as a trial velocity. I shot a 180 5x.

Question: Has anyone ever reported a score in this challenge of 190+ using Crosman Premier Hollow Point 14.3g pellets? It might be something to “shoot“ for as a goal, lol

Reactions: ThomasT
I don't remember a 190 with any Crosman pellet. I got a 184 last year with 10.5 Crosmans in my P35-177. But the next two tins shoot really poorly. I think I traced it to head size. The "good" tin was pretty consistent and similar to the H&Ns it likes. The "bad" tins were very inconsistent. I use 14.3s sometimes in my Prod but it shoots better with the copper plated H&N FTTs. After my 177 experience I am kind of down on Crosman pellets but it I wanted to shoot a good score with them I would weight and head size sort them. But I could not find a head size of the "bad" 177 tins that would shoot worth a darn. I think they were just poorly made. If you have a "good" tin of 14.3s that your gun likes, and you then sort them, maybe. The price is certainly attractive but getting really well made pellets at a bargain price may be too much to expect.

Hi Guys,
I shot a couple of cards today even in a 5-7 mph breeze (blowing directly at me from the target). It was our first 60 degree day in a while so I had to shoot.
30 yd Challange 3-21-23.jpg
Glad I did as my new Crown came through. I think this might be the best I have shot with a .177. My .22 Maverick did better last year, but not by much. Still looking for those last few points(y).

Hi Guys,
I shot a couple of cards today even in a 5-7 mph breeze (blowing directly at me from the target). It was our first 60 degree day in a while so I had to shoot. View attachment 342302Glad I did as my new Crown came through. I think this might be the best I have shot with a .177. My .22 Maverick did better last year, but not by much. Still looking for those last few points(y).
Hello @NAProf

Another .177 Crown with a great shooter's skills, really nice card (y) (y) . What pressure are you using?

ThomasT

Hello @NAProf

Another .177 Crown with a great shooter's skills, really nice card (y) (y) . What pressure are you using?

ThomasT
Thomas,
I have this set up for HFT. I am trying to shoot at 820 fps to keep me under 20fpe. The reg pressure is 105 bar, the transfer port on medium, and the micro adjust screw for hammer tension is out 3.6mm. So the power wheel is set at 18, but I noticed that by the time I shot the 3rd card my velocities had dropped to an average of 807. So I upped to 19 on the power wheel. No sure why the average velocity was dropping. I am going to have to check my breech seal when I clean the barrel today.
Cheers,
Greg

• Love
Thomas,
I have this set up for HFT. I am trying to shoot at 820 fps to keep me under 20fpe. The reg pressure is 105 bar, the transfer port on medium, and the micro adjust screw for hammer tension is out 3.6mm. So the power wheel is set at 18, but I noticed that by the time I shot the 3rd card my velocities had dropped to an average of 807. So I upped to 19 on the power wheel. No sure why the average velocity was dropping. I am going to have to check my breech seal when I clean the barrel today.
Cheers,
Greg
Hello @NAProf

I have turned mine down to 90, Medium, and messing around with the HS but currently at 23 and shooting the FX 13.4. Thanks for the information.

ThomasT

Thomas,
Cheers,
Greg
"No sure why the average velocity was dropping. I am going to have to check my breech seal when I clean the barrel today."

Greg - nice first card with your new .177 Crown.

807 FPS average down from 820 average is not that big of a drop in velocity, but regardless, your gun is brand new and I doubt your breech seal is compromised with a new rifle. It would be a strange and unlikely coincidence with relatively no wear on your rifle. Were you off the regulator after your 3rd card when you noticed velocity dropped to 807?

You can always put a tissue over the chamber and shoot with a pellet, and see if it blows off. If it does, you probably have a bad seal. My velocity drops when it is very cold, but you had a 60 degree day, so we can rule that out.

Curious as to what you find once you clean your gun barrel. I would also shoot some more chrony runs and analyze.

Tom

• Love
Ok fellow TYCS, I shot 1 (and only 1) card at lunch today…

I think this Weihrauch HW110 .22 (410mm barrel) can shoot 190+ with CPHP 14.3g - if all the stars align. I shoot straight from the tin always, and rarely eliminate a pellet (it has to be obviously bad).

If Target #5 didn’t have an obvious flyer pellet and the 1st shot on #5 was a 10, I would have already achieved the 190 goal with these crazy pellets!

I may pursue this for a bit. My goal for this challenge is a bit different. I’m not after a 200, if I get one that’s great.

Instead, l’d like to find a pellet/tune for each of my 9 PCPs where I can consistently shoot around 190 on this challenge.

If I get there, then I’ll try with my one Springer - a Weihrauch HW97.

I may drop the Crosmans for a bit and see what the HW110 can do with 13.43 and 14.35g JSBs today - as it’s finally in the 50s for temps, with only a very mild breeze!

F59A33AC-9329-444A-A721-920377FF8593.jpeg