30-Yard Challenge

Shooting in the wind is an art. Years ago, I was active in rimfire BR. I mastered the wind, and since I no longer compete, I'll share my secret here.

1. If the wind is up to 5 mph, put out a couple of flags, but try for a calm.

2. If the wind is 5-10 mph, put out flags every 10 yards, but try for a calm.

3. If the wind is over 10 mph, leave the flags and the rifle in the car. If club rules allow, have your favorite adult beverage, and no need to wait for a calm. 

If you are determined to shoot in high wind, and it's group competition, pick the prevalent condition and shoot fast. If it's a score match, refer to rule 3.

Hey Corny,

I’d score all of your 9? as a 10 except maybe box 1? It’s difficult to see from the picture. Nice shooting!

Top view….all 4 of them cross the 10line if I center a pellet on the hole. I set the pellet on top of the hole, tryi bc my best to center it. 
mayb I’ll just shoot another card :) 
EA9D225D-E1E3-4CF6-A96B-5FFE5EF73A1C.1648766744.jpeg

Yep, right now the fx ones seem a little bit more consistent. At least with my stuff. 

Oh and you may want to try to paste the paper to cardboard to cut down on the tearing. It will make it easier to score. That is if you have any type of glue. At least that what I did and afterwards I just glued every new sheet right on top of the old one. 

Allen

Shooting in the wind is an art. Years ago, I was active in rimfire BR. I mastered the wind, and since I no longer compete, I'll share my secret here.

3. If the wind is over 10 mph, leave the flags and the rifle in the car. If club rules allow, have your favorite adult beverage, and no need to wait for a calm. 

If you are determined to shoot in high wind, and it's group competition, pick the prevalent condition and shoot fast. If it's a score match, refer to rule 3.

I have to learn to consistently hit the target before I can deal with wind. I drive a hour and 30 mins to a range that at most times in the morning has little to no wind. And if there is wind I try to wait. I just started hitting targets consistently at 100 and working on 200. It is a slow learning process for me. 

Allen

I have to learn to consistently hit the target before I can deal with wind. I drive a hour and 30 mins to a range that at most times in the morning has little to no wind. And if there is wind I try to wait. I just started hitting targets consistently at 100 and working on 200. It is a slow learning process for me. 

Allen

Allen, it's a slow learning process for everyone. While my post above was in jest, it contained truth. When I was shooting BR, both RF and CF, the wind usually identified the the best shooters. But even the best were far from immune from its effect. Most of my CF shooting was group competition, not score, which is both better and worse. If you can get your group shots off under the same condition, then you're okay, since it makes no difference where the group prints. But, one bad shot and you're dead, whereas a slightly windblown score shot will not always take you out of the running. One consistent observation with group competition, the best shooters were almost always the fastest, trying to get all 5 shots on paper during the same condition. I guess that's somewhat true with score also, but having to reposition for each shot is a different dynamic. Sometimes the shot before will teach the next hold, but I usually blew it anyway!

All you can do is practice, but don't expect to ever conquer it. The wind is rarely consistent, and even if you had flags every yard, they couldn't be watched closely enough, nor the effects processed quickly enough to offset it. But as Gary Player said, "the more I practice, the luckier I get".

I agree 💯 with elh0102!, group or score can be very frustrating with air rifles, Even using flags I don’t always know what they’re telling me!!! A great quote I remember from yrs ago “the wind can even blow your Bullets into the group” The meanings of this Quote can be taken many various ways… but I believe it holds true especially in air rifle competition.

igolf, I myself am not really convinced on this TUNER idea for Airguns? I was just playing around last night, so I thought why not!

Joe - nice scores with that RAW .177 with and without tuner. I know nothing about how effective “tuners” are with reference to air rifles, but you at least had equal scores with and without it on your RAW.

I will say that on my Annie 1907 rimfire .22, I do shoot more accurately with the tuner vs not; or….maybe I’m just getting luckier when I have it on. The Gun smith who assembled / built my 1907 at Anschutz North America Custom Shop told me that it would shoot better with a Tuner, once I dialed it in.