30-Yard Challenge

First card after "confidence therapy" shooting at 15, 20, and 25 yards. I'll take it.

2-19-23.jpg

Leaderboard update. Pretty quiet this week. When will we have a FX Panthera show up?? I'm a little tempted to get one with a pellet barrel, but don't really have a reason to unless it can drill 200s every time!!!
Leaderboard update. Pretty quiet this week. When will we have a FX Panthera show up?? I'm a little tempted to get one with a pellet barrel, but don't really have a reason to unless it can drill 200s every time!!!

View attachment 333827
I’m interested in the Panthera as well. Either 500mm or perhaps 600mm with a pellet liner swapped in.

This 30 Yard Challenge has taught me a lot about both my rifles and my shooting technique over the past few weeks.

On one hand I’m pleased with my ability to “tune” my rifles, as I’m able to get them all shooting target scores 190 and above. 190 is a good benchmark as its a 10 every other shot for the full card… and a 9 when you “miss”. That is darn good CONSISTENT accuracy.

On the other hand, it has shown me my shortcomings as a marksman- as I know the rifles more capable than the shooter. For example, as a “warm up” I shot a five shot 30 yard group with my Prophet.177. It blew me away as all five shots went in the same hole that measured .08” ctc. Even better, the hole was in the exact center of the tiny target I drew. I proceeded to put up a 30 yard challenge target and shoot 187.

187 is not bad…. But I expected more with the rifle so dialed in (and with a new 45x fixed power ED glass Sightron target scope).

Its easy to blame a bad pellet, wind, etc for a “miss”. Especially if you only shoot groups. However, on this 30 Yard Challenge, you see that one shot is high, the next “miss” was low, then a bit right, then a bit left…. And your breeze is just left to right… so you know where the problem lies, lol. I’ve been working on getting a consistent eye/cheek position lately - as I think that is an area I can improve. It would certainly be easier if air rifles were semiautomatic and you didn’t have to move to cock the next shot.

I have not shot above 195 with any rifle yet, might need a bit of luck as I just shoot pellets straight from the tin. But its a goal.

Thanks for dreaming up this challenge. I thought initially “how tough can 30 yards be?”. Its damn tough - I’ve learned a lot and learn more every time I shoot another target.

-Ed

It has been a while since I tried the 30 yard challenge.

Shot the HW100 .22 Carbine and the Daystate Revere .22 this morning. Mild temps, light wind. One other guy at my range. I realized after I left and shot (2) HW100 cards with the JSB 18.1 pellet, that I really wanted to shoot a couple with the 15.89. I have the 18.1 at 845 FPS and I think I recall the 15.89 is around 890 FPS approximately.

It wasn't really that close between the two guns, and the Revere shot more accurately. I will submit the Revere 198-10X card for the leaderboard and over the hill ( 65 year old ) class!

View attachment 333912

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8211.jpg

Last edited:
It has been a while since I tried the 30 yard challenge.

Shot the HW100 .22 Carbine and the Daystate Revere .22 this morning. Mild temps, light wind. One other guy at my range. I realized after I left and shot (2) HW100 cards with the JSB 18.1 pellet, that I really wanted to shoot a couple with the 15.89. I have the 18.1 at 845 FPS and I think I recall the 15.89 is around 890 FPS approximately.

It wasn't really that close between the two guns, and the Revere shot more accurately. I will submit the Revere 198-10X card for the leaderboard and over the hill ( 65 year old ) class!

View attachment 333912

View attachment 333924

View attachment 333925
Hello @tommyb

All good looking cards and almost every shot well placed :D

ThomasT

I shot two cards today - in fading light. When the wind finally died down enough to shoot, the light was just about gone.

I submit a 193 with 12x with my Daystate Huntsman Regal unregulated .22. I remembered to lock the bolt down on every shot this time - although I almost forgot once, lol. I’ve only shot about 4 30-Yard cards with this Huntsman, and its never shot less than 192 - it may be my best rifle to try to break through and score above 195.

I also shot 192 with my unregulated .22 Cayden but the Cayden is already on the leaderboard. I just love the trigger tuned to 5.5 ounces- it’s incredible now.

3FA32EA5-3F1B-4100-9256-0A29B35FA91E.jpeg

262B1486-7F83-41FC-9E95-C396E5CC9DF2.jpeg

@EPG and @tommyb - Nice shooting guys. Your scores have been recorded. You guys are both making me want a Huntsman!

Tom - buy that Revere! Accurate, beautiful looking traditional rifle, 5-year warranty, high resale value, et. Al.

Sound like a used car salesman, don’t I ?

Hello @tcarlson777

Tom here is my offering for my FX Crown MK II .177cal but with a different pellet this time. Shot a bunch of your cards today and this was shot with FX 13.4gr, 4.52mm pellets.

ThomasT
FX 022223.5.jpg

Last edited:
I’m interested in the Panthera as well. Either 500mm or perhaps 600mm with a pellet liner swapped in.

This 30 Yard Challenge has taught me a lot about both my rifles and my shooting technique over the past few weeks.

On one hand I’m pleased with my ability to “tune” my rifles, as I’m able to get them all shooting target scores 190 and above. 190 is a good benchmark as its a 10 every other shot for the full card… and a 9 when you “miss”. That is darn good CONSISTENT accuracy.

On the other hand, it has shown me my shortcomings as a marksman- as I know the rifles more capable than the shooter. For example, as a “warm up” I shot a five shot 30 yard group with my Prophet.177. It blew me away as all five shots went in the same hole that measured .08” ctc. Even better, the hole was in the exact center of the tiny target I drew. I proceeded to put up a 30 yard challenge target and shoot 187.

187 is not bad…. But I expected more with the rifle so dialed in (and with a new 45x fixed power ED glass Sightron target scope).

Its easy to blame a bad pellet, wind, etc for a “miss”. Especially if you only shoot groups. However, on this 30 Yard Challenge, you see that one shot is high, the next “miss” was low, then a bit right, then a bit left…. And your breeze is just left to right… so you know where the problem lies, lol. I’ve been working on getting a consistent eye/cheek position lately - as I think that is an area I can improve. It would certainly be easier if air rifles were semiautomatic and you didn’t have to move to cock the next shot.

I have not shot above 195 with any rifle yet, might need a bit of luck as I just shoot pellets straight from the tin. But its a goal.

Thanks for dreaming up this challenge. I thought initially “how tough can 30 yards be?”. Its damn tough - I’ve learned a lot and learn more every time I shoot another target.

-Ed
Hello @EPG

You did not know but @tcarlson777 has put some sort of VooDoo Hex on this target :alien::devilish:👺👿☠️💀👻so don't get discouraged, every once in a while the Hex takes a nap and we sneak in a good score. I find very early in the morning is the best time :sleep:

ThomasT

Hi Guys,
Posting my first "official" card with my new Crown MkII in .177 with a 500 mm barrel. I have been playing with it for about a week looking for the right tune and velocity for the MRD and FX 13.4's. I took ThomasT's advice and did a real good barrel polishing the first thing. Also did the Sub12-Airgunner (Brit you tube channel) bit on the hammer, spring, and trigger sear polishing. Still not totally happy with the ES and StdDev (20 and 5 respectively). Shooting at 868 fps and think they might do better a little faster, but just cranking up the hammer more causes more scatter. Will continue looking.

I had to change the score on this card because I initially scored it with my old pins, then got the new one that tcarlson777 recommended. It is in the photo. Just slightly more generous. But I will take a 193 with 11x's for the first time out.
Cheers,
Greg
30 yd Challange 2-23-23.jpg

Hi Guys,
Posting my first "official" card with my new Crown MkII in .177 with a 500 mm barrel. I have been playing with it for about a week looking for the right tune and velocity for the MRD and FX 13.4's. I took ThomasT's advice and did a real good barrel polishing the first thing. Also did the Sub12-Airgunner (Brit you tube channel) bit on the hammer, spring, and trigger sear polishing. Still not totally happy with the ES and StdDev (20 and 5 respectively). Shooting at 868 fps and think they might do better a little faster, but just cranking up the hammer more causes more scatter. Will continue looking.

I had to change the score on this card because I initially scored it with my old pins, then got the new one that tcarlson777 recommended. It is in the photo. Just slightly more generous. But I will take a 193 with 11x's for the first time out.
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 334878
Hello @NAProf

Hey Greg that is an incredible first card (y) (y) (y) (y)

ThomasT

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT