30-Yard Challenge

Here's one from last week and one from today. I picked up one point and a few more Xs. Now if I could get rid of the seemingly random high and low shots...
Both targets shot with my FX Royale 400 with JSB 18.1s.

20230213_175439~2.jpg
20230213_175338~2.jpg

I put a higher magnification scope on my .177 Akela today. This is the 1st and only card I shot - using 20x on the 6x24 Athlon Argos scope.

I submit this for the leader board 192 with 9x. Might be even better if I expanded the holes to .22 caliber size.

I shot it with these pellets from Argentina. My Akela usually loves JSB 10.3g, but I got a bad tin of those.

D0909719-9A8E-43D3-AF50-5091611D44D3.jpeg

AC04B8D3-A53D-4A0B-B9E6-8F93C8C86831.jpeg

64AAF450-545A-42F1-A0F1-EEC9B38358A1.jpeg

I put a higher magnification scope on my .177 Akela today. This is the 1st and only card I shot - using 20x on the 6x24 Athlon Argos scope.

I submit this for the leader board 192 with 9x. Might be even better if I expanded the holes to .22 caliber size.

I shot it with these pellets from Argentina. My Akela usually loves JSB 10.3g, but I got a bad tin of those.

View attachment 332922

View attachment 332923

View attachment 332924
Hello @EPG

That is a beautifully shot card (y) (y) (y)

ThomasT

Reactions: Sanctify7
Are any of you tired of wind? The combination of consistently high winds and a scope issue that had me chasing my tail with my RTI Prophet .177, I decided to move closer and build my confidence. So, once I put a fully functional scope on the RTI, sighted in, and adjusted the tune back to my preferred settings, I shot this card at 15 Yards.

IMG-0284.jpg

Next, I moved back to 20-yards, adjusted my scope, and shot this card.

IMG-0286.jpg

Next step will be 25-yards, and once I score a 200, back to 30-yards. Anyone who is struggling with a rifle tune, scope issues, or mere human error, feel free to move closer and build your confidence. You can submit a card to this thread for any range, but only 30-yard cards will make the leaderboard. There are some really good shooters following this thread, and they can sometimes see things from my target that I can't. I began shooting this target at 10-yards on another forum. It took me quite a while to score a 200 20X at 10-yards!

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
@EPG Great shooting. You have your Akela performing nicely. If you have a .22 pellet, you can score your card holding the .22 pellet skirt down over the hole. I think you could pick up 3-4 points on your score and it is within our rules.
SO WITH A 22 CAL YOU FLIP A 25 CAL PELLET FOR A SCORE PLUG ?

Are any of you tired of wind? The combination of consistently high winds and a scope issue that had me chasing my tail with my RTI Prophet .177, I decided to move closer and build my confidence. So, once I put a fully functional scope on the RTI, sighted in, and adjusted the tune back to my preferred settings, I shot this card at 15 Yards.

View attachment 333344

View attachment 333345

Next step will be 25-yards, and once I score a 200, back to 30-yards. Anyone who is struggling with a rifle tune, scope issues, or mere human error, feel free to move closer and build your confidence. You can submit a card to this thread for any range, but only 30-yard cards will make the leaderboard. There are some really good shooters following this thread, and they can sometimes see things from my target that I can't. I began shooting this target at 10-yards on another forum. It took me quite a while to score a 200 20X at 10-yards!
Good morning @tcarlson777

I feel your pain in all categories, wind, scope, pellets, ME, and new rifle 🤪 . I agree with your process, I do the same when nothing seems to work go back to the basics. Starting at 10-yards will tell a lot if you read the results correctly.

I have been fighting high winds for the past week but I am not counting the scores because I know the results are not correct. Don't let the wind make you think that you have an "issue" that is not there.

Those cards look great (y)

ThomasT

View attachment 333344

View attachment 333345

I kind of agree here.. I like the idea.

I keep struggling with trying to nail a 200 score, and it isn’t coming. I may try this approach with starting at 20, 25 and then back to 30 yards to see if I can learn anything along the way. If nothing else, I will bolster my ego with some higher scores. 😀😀

I have three rifles that should be able to nail a 200; FX Royale 400 .22 cal shooting 18.1 at 880 FPS. Revere .22 shooting either the 18 or 15.89 pellets, and the HW100 shooting 18.1 at 845 FPS. All are very accurate and can shoot a ragged hole at 20, 25 yards most times. Also, have two HP .22 cals with the RAW and Safari and have not hit a perfect score with them either.

Good idea, especially if you are testing a new tune.

Perhaps I will try moving closer when its windy - especially with .177 caliber.

I was battling wind today, so I abandoned my .177s and switched to .22 caliber.

I shot just one card - with my DS Regal .22 unregulated. This rifle is insanely accurate with JSB 15.89.

I would submit this card to get my 4th rifle on the leaderboard, but you have to grant me two “mulligans”… I don’t shoot the Regal much as it is “boringly accurate “ and has minimal adjustments so I can’t mess it up, lol.

Anyway, the “mulligans” are because I forget to close the bolt down two times on the first 3 targets I shot. I really need to shoot this rifle more - get used to the bolt action again.

I actually had to toss out an “X” on an 18 target pair… but still had 12 Xs in the wind.

Notice that it put the two mulligans in about the same spot on the target. The Regal is so consistent that even when you shoot with the bolt not pushed down into lock - it shoots your errors the same. Scared the heck out of me both times as it made a loud POP noise and the bolt moved back towards my face!

Can’t wait for a still day - I’ve got a new Sightron III fixed power 45x scope mounted on one of my RTI Prophet Performance rifles. It’s insane how clear the thing is!

D6A261C2-B432-4EF6-AF40-45AA16CF3096.jpeg

5C7C5374-5090-488A-9FF3-010C05EE287C.jpeg

0D557E1F-DB62-4573-8EFD-0F5F67EB02DC.jpeg

I have three rifles that should be able to nail a 200; FX Royale 400 .22 cal shooting 18.1 at 880 FPS. Revere .22 shooting either the 18 or 15.89 pellets, and the HW100 shooting 18.1 at 845 FPS. All are very accurate and can shoot a ragged hole at 20, 25 yards most times. Also, have two HP .22 cals with the RAW and Safari and have not hit a perfect score with them either.

Good idea, especially if you are testing a new tune.
I'm not you but reading your post I'm thinking that you should pick what you think is your most accurate gun and shoot the heck out of it for a while. Chasing guns only works if you know it's not you. Been there, maybe get a scope cam or a coach or be like me and shoot 1000s of pellets.

I'm not you but reading your post I'm thinking that you should pick what you think is your most accurate gun and shoot the heck out of it for a while. Chasing guns only works if you know it's not you. Been there, maybe get a scope cam or a coach or be like me and shoot 1000s of pellets.

Not chasing guns. It’s definitely me but I have shot all of these guns alot.

My intended point was to say that the guns can only get you so far.

The rest is skill.

Last edited: