• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

A client asked me to sight in his Gamo Magnum. After cleaning it's barrel and sighting it in, I shot the card below with my FX Crown. It is not the best card that I have ever shot, but after shooting that Gamo, it certainly was the most pleasant! That thing is awful.

IMG-0225.jpg

I was able to shoot one card this morning before the winds picked up. I always shoot L to R and start at the top and work my way down. I knew that I had a good score going, but I never review the shots too closely due to the potential for getting nervous. Sure enough, on the last shot, pulled the shot, and ended up with the dreaded 199 last shot choke!

IMG-0226.jpg

I was able to shoot one card this morning before the winds picked up. I always shoot L to R and start at the top and work my way down. I knew that I had a good score going, but I never review the shots too closely due to the potential for getting nervous. Sure enough, on the last shot, pulled the shot, and ended up with the dreaded 199 last shot choke!

View attachment 298100
Has happened to me also Tom. That .177 Crown is a great shooter. 199 is a great card!!

Just shot my new Revere .22 today. Will be back out at the range in early November to try the 30 yard challenge.

A client asked me to sight in his Gamo Magnum. After cleaning it's barrel and sighting it in, I shot the card below with my FX Crown. It is not the best card that I have ever shot, but after shooting that Gamo, it certainly was the most pleasant! That thing is awful.

View attachment 297872
lot of those holes look like tumbling pellets ?

Reactions: ThomasT
Thanks for the idea, @beerthief. How can I check to see if the pellets are tumbling?
do you have any wad cutter target pellets (flat nose) they cut a good clean hole , don't know if they come in anything but .177 ?
yours might just be ripped paper come to think of it .

Thanks for the idea, @beerthief. How can I check to see if the pellets are tumbling?
Hello @tcarlson777

Here is a simply and easy way to check.
1) Take a clean sheet of paper and glue it to some thick cardboard to make a test target. The 3M spray glue is the best but any other will do OK.
2) Set the Test Target up at 10 to 15 feet and shoot 5 rounds
3) Move the TT out to 30 feet and shoot 5 rounds
4) Move it again out to 25 yards and shoot 5 rounds
If you are still seeing clean Round Holes move the TT out to 50 yards and shoot 5 rounds.
If you are still seeing clean Round Holes, your pellet is NOT tumbling.
Most likely you will see elongated holes between 30 feet and 25 yards IF the pellet is tumbling.

Hope this will help
ThomasT

Reactions: tcarlson777
Hey Bam, that bench ( if you decide to build one) will definitely steady your hold and improve accuracy.

Re. Revere - A buddy and I both went to his gun club yesterday and shot our Revere .22’s. Perfect weather and no wind.

We experimented with both the 18’s and 15.89 JSB pellets at different distances from 20, 25, and 50 yards. Both pellets are very accurate.

I was curious if the 15.89’s at 880 FPS could shoot 1/2” groups at 50 yards. Yes, both rifles did more than a couple times, so going to try my hand at the 30 yard challenge when I get back from babysitting ( along with my wife) three Granddaughters under 5 next week. ❤️

I have a feeling I will look forward to it!

Went out to the local outdoor range today, perfect weather. 70 degrees and absolutely no wind. Got there at 8:30am

I brought the new "we the Plinkers" Revere .22 with Athlon 4-14-40MM FFP scope. Shot three 30 yard challenge cards and one N50 card at 50 yards. Very pleased with both the JSB 15.89 and 18.1 pellets. Both pellet weights are very accurate, but I have to give a slight edge to the 15.89 which is flying at 880 FPS on the FX Radar chrono.

Athlon Scope - very good, considering it is included in the package, but I need a bit more magnification at 30 yards for the challenge. The FFP MOA reticle covers up the 10 ring at 30 yards, on 14X magnification. So, my holds are a bit tricky for me because I was aiming constantly at the 10 ring, with various holds on the ring line ( i.e.,12'clock, 9, 7, 4, etc ) adjusting for the slightest of winds. Maybe 1/2 MPH or less. The scope is great for backyard squirrels, but for target shooting the FFP reticle is larger than I want/need.

Shot a 192-8X, 196-9X and 196-13X for the Senior's class nomination. Also shot an N50 card at 50 yards with the 15.89's and I was really pleased with the accuracy and scoring. I was zipping through the N50 card at a very fast pace as I was in a hurry and a bit late for doing some other errands. If I slowed down, I really think I could have shot a 240 card. Today was the day to try because of no wind.

Here are the cards:

IMG_7406.jpg

I need to add that the N50 cards are scored with a .035" scoring plug, but the 30 yard challenge cards are scored with the .224" scoring plug.
IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

Last edited:
Went out to the local outdoor range today, perfect weather. 70 degrees and absolutely no wind. Got there at 8:30am

I brought the new "we the Plinkers" Revere .22 with Athlon 4-14-40MM FFP scope. Shot three 30 yard challenge cards and one N50 card at 50 yards. Very pleased with both the JSB 15.89 and 18.1 pellets. Both pellet weights are very accurate, but I have to give a slight edge to the 15.89 which is flying at 880 FPS on the FX Radar chrono.

Athlon Scope - very good, considering it is included in the package, but I need a bit more magnification at 30 yards for the challenge. The FFP MOA reticle covers up the 10 ring at 30 yards, on 14X magnification. So, my holds are a bit tricky for me because I was aiming constantly at the 10 ring, with various holds on the ring line ( i.e.,12'clock, 9, 7, 4, etc ) adjusting for the slightest of winds. Maybe 1/2 MPH or less. The scope is great for backyard squirrels, but for target shooting the FFP reticle is larger than I want/need.

Shot a 192-8X, 196-9X and 196-13X for the Senior's class nomination. Also shot an N50 card at 50 yards with the 15.89's and I was really pleased with the accuracy and scoring. I was zipping through the N50 card at a very fast pace as I was in a hurry and a bit late for doing some other errands. If I slowed down, I really think I could have shot a 240 card. Today was the day to try because of no wind.

Here are the cards:

View attachment 301815

View attachment 301816

View attachment 301817

View attachment 301818

Here are the cards:

View attachment 301815

View attachment 301816

View attachment 301817

View attachment 301818
Hello @tommyb

With a bit better scope you will be shooting 200's on a daily basis :) , three nice looking 30-yard cards. That 50-yard looks very good also.

ThomasT