30-Yard Challenge

I think you are correct to score a 10 if you touch the center/gray ring. To score a 10X, you need to take out the entire gray ring. At least, that's my understanding. It's a bit unique, in that touching, or even taking out the X dot doesn't score an X, unless you take out the 10 ring entirely. It would be a nightmare of protests in formal competition, but it's just a fun thing. Maybe a simpler format will evolve.

My humble suggestion….

In the N50 50 yard scoring, you need to ‘completely’ cover the X with a.224” scoring plug to achieve an X. Not sure what ‘buried’ means here as I see these explanations. That’s confusing.

So, if your hole ‘touches’ the 10 ring, you score a ‘10,’. if your hole with the above scoring plug ‘ COMPLETELY’ covers the X, you score an X. To score an X you should not see and “white space” between the dot and the scoring plug. Seems easy, but you need to use a magnifier or an iPhine picture. 

I use my I Phone and take a pic, and ZOOM in to determine if it scores or not.

Tom, isn't that getting so close to conventional scoring, that a legitimate question may be, why? Conventional scoring is simple, by design. You get the highest value you touch. If the hole touches the X dot, it's a 10X. Maybe we're trying too hard. I'm reminded of the old saying, this is the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem. Just a thought. If 200-20X scores prove common, move to 35 yards? 

I will score how everyone agrees on? I to believe the N50 or USARB style scoring is pretty straightforward I will continue to score with a .22 USARB plug I currently don’t own a .22.

This a very fun and easy for most to do with a quiet rifle in their backyard. This is right up my alley, don’t have to travel and can do it at my leisure.

I personally don’t care if you shoot a 50ftlb rifle or 12ftlb, the challenge is mostly for myself, and it’s fun to see others scores. I LIKE IT! Let’s keep it going this summer.

That is some great shooting! And a nice range as well!👍

I'm going to need to pull out a better scope! The imersive's dot on the retical more than covers 3/4s of the 9 ring. Lol

20220327_182029.1648430635.jpg

We could be over thinking this a bit. Lots of different perspectives, none of which are right or wrong. We are all coming at this from our varied experience levels and vantage points. 

To strike a balance between keeping it fun and also challenging, could we agree on having any .22 plugged scoring hole touching the ‘X’ dot will score as an ‘X?’ If you Touch the 10 ring, count it as a 10. Touch the 9 ring, count as a 9. This would remove the nebulous idea of ‘burying’ the gray area or X dot. If your plugged hole ‘touches’ a ring or the ‘X’ dot — it counts. 

If we get a bunch of 200 scores and a bunch of X’s, we can always raise the bar later if needed.

Tom (tcarlson777), this is your thread, and it is a great recommendation for fun, casual remote competition. Since we are using a target designed for a different game, the rules have been discussed since the beginning. Recommendations range from the esoteric to conventional bullseye, best-edge scoring. I believe the decision on scoring format should be yours. The details really make no difference, as long as it's understood and the scoring is consistent among shooters. Using the X dot in some manner is a way to raise the level of difficulty, either a little or a lot. I'll be happy to use your choice of format.

Ed

Tom (tcarlson777), this is your thread, and it is a great recommendation for fun, casual remote competition. Since we are using a target designed for a different game, the rules have been discussed since the beginning. Recommendations range from the esoteric to conventional bullseye, best-edge scoring. I believe the decision on scoring format should be yours. The details really make no difference, as long as it's understood and the scoring is consistent among shooters. Using the X dot in some manner is a way to raise the level of difficulty, either a little or a lot. I'll be happy to use your choice of format.

Ed

Since we are shooting a 50ft target at 90ft, let's modify the rules as stated at the bottom of the target. To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot. To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring. Taking out the entire gray ring at 30 yards to score an X is insanely hard, so let's go with the easier option.

Any other questions on scoring, or have we addressed them all?

I sure am looking forward to playing this more. You guys are some really good shooters! I also just ordered a new gun, a FX Wildcat Compact BT, so it will be fun to "race" that gun against my Vet Long. I tried to shoot a card with my Origin yesterday and that gun is getting sold! It continually shifts it's POI, no matter what I have tried. Guess you get what you pay for. It will make a good hunting gun for somebody.

Since we are shooting a 50ft target at 90ft, let's modify the rules as stated at the bottom of the target. To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot. To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring. Taking out the entire gray ring at 30 yards to score an X is insanely hard, so let's go with the easier option.

Any other questions on scoring, or have we addressed them all?

Tom - I think you nailed it.

It was chilly this morning here in NC, about 35 degrees when I got there. Wind was very light to non-existent at times. I took out the Safari HP Redwolf .22 caliber and had JSB 25g RDs and Knockouts in my gun case. Shot a few sighters and I was off and running.

Have to say, shooting a '200' score is becoming elusive. Not 'burying' too many X's. Touching some,....but 'burying' them is proving for me to be difficult. Also, I am glad after Tom (OP ) drafted the rules, that we are still allowing two pairs of rejects, as I continue to need them.

The Safari shot well, but there were some unexpected 8's and even a '6' that got me and hurt the scoring. Not complaining, but this isn't going to be easy ( for me anyway ) to shoot a '200.' The "X" ring is getting smaller as I continue to shoot. :)-

IMG_5583.1648575322.jpg

IMG_5584.1648575333.jpg

IMG_5585.1648575344.jpg

IMG_5586.1648575355.jpg

IMG_5571.1648575366.jpg