• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Hello tcarlson777,

I would like to offer this Card in the .177 cal Class Competition. After a lot of paper target shooting, and a bit of frustration at times, I finally shot a perfect 200 score with 20-X’s. It is like @tommyb stated earlier, “this is hard” shooting these X’s. How ever hard it is, at the same time it is a lot more fun and a real personal challenge and so rewarding. I used my FX Crown MK II .177 cal with JSB Monster Redesigned 13.43 gr pellets and the conditions were perfect with no wind, overcast sky, temperature of only 72 degrees. I shot a second 200 score Card with 18-X’s today also, this was a really fun day shooting.

ThomasT
FX Crown 200-20 Sept-05-2022.jpg
FX Crown 200-18 Sept-05-2022.jpg

@ThomasT - Wow, that is incredible shooting! Congrats! If you ever want to sell that FX Crown, call me!
Hello Tom,

Thank you, the “shooting” is really not me it is this Crown. Every once in a while I settle down enough to enjoy the accuracy of this rifle. This morning I was in a zone and was able to experience how well this gun can shoot when used correctly. I also shot two 199 scores with 14-x’s this morning and it looked like I had used a piece of carbon copy paper between them :D.

ThomasT

I sure wish that the Forum Geeks would have left the 30 Yard Challenge over in the General Discussion section. I always go there first to find current events. Why do these computer nerds have to CHANGE everything. This &$$&%# me off​

ThomasT

Hello tcarlson777,

I would like to offer this Card in the .177 cal Class Competition. After a lot of paper target shooting, and a bit of frustration at times, I finally shot a perfect 200 score with 20-X’s. It is like @tommyb stated earlier, “this is hard” shooting these X’s. How ever hard it is, at the same time it is a lot more fun and a real personal challenge and so rewarding. I used my FX Crown MK II .177 cal with JSB Monster Redesigned 13.43 gr pellets and the conditions were perfect with no wind, overcast sky, temperature of only 72 degrees. I shot a second 200 score Card with 18-X’s today also, this was a really fun day shooting.

ThomasT
Congrats ThomasT! Hope there are no squirrels around your house (or target); or their heads might become a substitute for all those ‘X’s!

Reactions: ThomasT
Congrats ThomasT! Hope there are no squirrels around your house (or target); or their heads might become a substitute for all those ‘X’s!
Hello @tommyb,

Well there used to be a lot of tree rats around here, but for some reason I don't see them anymore ;).

ThomasT

Reactions: drpietrzak

I sure wish that the Forum Geeks would have left the 30 Yard Challenge over in the General Discussion section. I always go there first to find current events. Why do these computer nerds have to CHANGE everything. This &$$&%# me off​

ThomasT
Calm down there Thomas, All of the Target Shooting Challenges are being moved to a dedicated Target Shooting Forum. This will make ALL of the challenges much easier to locate, and participate in.

If you don't care about any other challenges, then simply hit the Bookmark button at the top of the thread. You can also click the "Follow" button and select how you'd like to be notified of new activity within your favorite thread.

1662478852817.png

This should make it easier for you, and everyone else who wants to participate in the online challenges.

-Michael

Calm down there Thomas, All of the Target Shooting Challenges are being moved to a dedicated Target Shooting Forum. This will make ALL of the challenges much easier to locate, and participate in.

If you don't care about any other challenges, then simply hit the Bookmark button at the top of the thread. You can also click the "Follow" button and select how you'd like to be notified of new activity within your favorite thread.

View attachment 287946

This should make it easier for you, and everyone else who wants to participate in the online challenges.

-Michael
Thanks for the reply, however I strongly disagree.
ThomasT

Shot four cards this morning. It was 82 degrees, but very humid. Wind was almost nil, and very light when there was any.

Finally - Shot my first '200' score with the Safari. Prior to today, I probably shot about 30+cards with the Safari since this challenge started back in March. I thought I would never get there, but today was good. Had a chance at a couple more 200's, but shooter error did me in.

Question for the troops - I don't have any .177 air rifles. However, I placed an order with AoA a while back for a "we the plinkers" promotional package to get a Revere in .22 caliber. Given all of the "200" scores seen here with .177's, does anyone else who shoots this challenge own a Revere in .177 or .22? Rifle has not yet come in from Daystate ( I am a lefty and those left handed stocks are slower to ship ), but I was wondering if there are any strong opinions as to which caliber in the Revere platform might be more accurate for this challenge?

I think at 30 yards, both the .22 and the .177 Revere are going to be very accurate. I am going to use the gun for the 30 yard challenge, 50 yard N50 targets and mostly for back yard squirrels.

I realize this is hugely subjective, but I wanted to inquire as to your thoughts. I know we are not shy.:)

Thanks,
Tom

IMG_6997.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg

@tommyb - Great job shooting your first 200 with your Red Wolf! That must feel great. I moved to .177s after seeing all the 200 scores, plus the higher shot count (and lower noise level). Not sure if .177 draws more "pure" target shooters with superior shooting abilities, or if .177 is inherently more accurate. I would think a good rifle such as the Revere would be just as accurate in .177 or .22, but I'm not very knowledgeable.

Reactions: ThomasT and tommyb
Looking good Tommy, and it seems like .177 really shines on this challenge, not much different from shooting 25M BR, except there are no mulligans... ;)
I agree too.

If you look back earlier in this thread, the .177's have the most '200' scores by a large margin. They have consistently out scored the .22 calibers and higher ( .25 or .30) in this challenge. Or, the shooters who own the .177's are just better shooters and have scored higher than the larger calibers. Either way, the .177's have done very well here.

Re. mulligans - point taken,..... as there would be far fewer '200' scores with no mulligans, and I am not sure if I could still manage a '200' without them.

@tommyb - Great job shooting your first 200 with your Red Wolf! That must feel great. I moved to .177s after seeing all the 200 scores, plus the higher shot count (and lower noise level). Not sure if .177 draws more "pure" target shooters with superior shooting abilities, or if .177 is inherently more accurate. I would think a good rifle such as the Revere would be just as accurate in .177 or .22, but I'm not very knowledgeable.
Thanks Tom. I like your statement, " not sure if the .177 draws more pure target shooters with superior shooting abilities, or if the .177 is inherently more accurate." I am wondering the same thing and it might be a little of both; although I am leaning to possibly superior shooting abilities.......

Hello @tommyb,

First off, kudos for some great shooting (y) . For shooting at 50-yards or less I would think that a .177 would be equal to a .22 cal. The right gun in the hands of a good shooter would most likely produce equal results in either caliber. As you know I really like the .177 and just feel more confidant shooting this caliber.

ThomasT

Reactions: tommyb
Hello @tommyb,

First off, kudos for some great shooting (y) . For shooting at 50-yards or less I would think that a .177 would be equal to a .22 cal. The right gun in the hands of a good shooter would most likely produce equal results in either caliber. As you know I really like the .177 and just feel more confidant shooting this caliber.

ThomasT
...that's funny I can't get my .177 to shoot decent. Everything else I have does great. Well actually I have not tried my sk19 yet.

Allen

How about for guys that have shot 200-18x and up, they X off the two bottom boxes PRIOR to shooting the card? This could be considered a "Masters Card" once you have risen to that level with a 200-18x and up...
Mike

Is your suggestion directed at just those shooters who have already shot a 200-18x ( or better) to get rid of the two mulligan’s and try their luck without the mulligan’s? I think so, but just want to clarify.

Tom Carlson - Would you consider removing the mulligan’s for everybody? I don’t have a preference, but I would not want that to be a disincentive to folks who may think that is too difficult. Or, like Mike is suggesting, there could be a “master’s” version for those who have shot 200-18x or better.

Interesting idea and this is ‘evolving’ like Serena’s version of retirement.