• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Thanks tommyb, but it was a bunch of attempts, just posted my best results. Like a lot of guys I started in the 170's-180's and gradually got better, with the exception of the HW44. That score was my first try. I was pretty lucky, I had several pellets that just touched the line. I doubt I can do any better without replacing the scope to a rifle scope with a higher magnification. I tried that a while back and didn't care for it. Wound up with the 2-7 UTG scout scope. Works perfect for my shooting, which is off a bipod about 12-14" from my eye. BTW it's a pcp. I probably wouldn't break a 100 with a springer 🤪
I definitely agree with igolfat8, this definitely improves your shooting. It takes a lot of concentration and focus, not generally my strong suit.

I was wondering about the HW44. Have not heard of that gun. My bad, thought it was a Springer.

Kenny - I have been at this since March, and it’s hard to hit the very small ten ring 20 times. I don’t think I can count the amount of range sessions where I was ‘hoping’ to score a 200. But, I learn something for improvement purposes every time. Honestly, it can be humbling, frustrating and very rewarding; all those emotions each time I shoot.

You’re right there after ONE attempt!

The HW44 is a pretty amazing pistol. I have both the .22 and the .177 and they are like miniature versions of the HW100 rifle.
Very accurate out to 60 yards even, if resting in a solid bed of bags and mounted with a rifle scope.
This gopher target is at 60 yards and I was able to hit the head repeatedly using the JSB 13.43 grain .177 pellet.
The impacts are not uniform because they actually hit the body of the target just behind my finger nail and splashed onto the head.
But still an awesome group for a pistol at 60 yards!
I’m planning to try the 30 yard challenge with the pistol too… since I can’t seem to be able to break 199, maybe I can do it with a pistol 😂just kidding!
86EBB8A1-EFA7-4BE1-A1F5-1E89520D9FD0.jpeg

I had guests last week and didn't do any shooting but I shot my P35-22 this morning and I think I did about 10 points better than my first target with it. I ordered a scoring gauge, however, and will wait for it to try and score it correctly. Seems to be upper 180s.

I wanted to shoot really early but had the sun in my eyes so I waited. Wind was very low early but had picked up a bit by the time I shot and I had to hold off about 1/4 inch for it. Still low. But do you guys adjust your scope or just hold off? Do you use wind flags and, if so, made of what? I look at a U. S. flag 200 yards across the lake I am on and I look at the waves on the lake. If I get a couple shots that are off in the direction the wind is blowing I start holding off a little. But that doesn't seem real scientific to me.

I don't know why you chose 30 yards, but I like this type of shooting. I've shot a few 100 yard matches and, quite frankly, it's too specialized as far as equipment is concerned. I like shooting 25M (27yd) or 50 yard BR using USARB/WRABF targets. I just shot this one with my newly acquired AA 500 HFT. I did it rather quickly and am impressed with the gun's potential. I used to shoot this event with a RAW TM1000 which would score 248-250 most of the time. This gun, could possibly equal that.
25M BR target.jpg

Last edited:
But do you guys adjust your scope or just hold off? Do you use wind flags and, if so, made of what?
Hi Jim,

I hold off based on my flags condition. I set my flag on the left of my scope’s sight line so I can see the flag with my left eye while my right eye is looking through the scope. The wind usually swirls quickly on my home range and also at my local club range so I don’t have time to use turrets. I use drive way fiberglass stakes and surveyors tape at home and more sophisticated flags at my club similar to the linked flags below. My flags are no longer being made.

Reactions: ThomasT
I like the sighters on that target. I found myself messing with the scope settings on the first few targets tonight. Didn't help my shooting. I could just put up a target for that purpose first, of course.
Jim

I zero at 30 yards and use my “holds” to adjust for wind variations. Igolfat8 is right on with his tips. It’s like chasing a ghost messing with turrets after you zero at 30, especially with the wind constantly fluctuating.

FWIW - I also place a practice 30 yard challenge card adjacent to my shooting target card, and use it for sighting purposes. If I shoot an “8” ( or les), I may shoot a sighter or two to check my POI, before I shoot at the real target again. My biggest challenge is 1) slowing down and knowing when “not” to shoot with an unfavorable wind condition based on flags, and 2) choosing the right wind condition and hold off based on the previous shot or my current flag direction.

I think there are some links in the Benchrest category for wind flags, if you want to buy them. I also have some pics I can post/send.

Tom

My biggest challenge is 1) slowing down and knowing when “not” to shoot with an unfavorable wind condition based on flags, and 2) choosing the right wind condition and hold off based on the previous shot or my current flag direction.

Tom
+1 on learning patience to wait for the right conditions. Luckily there are no time limits to this 30 yard challenge but matches have time limits to shoot X number of bulls per individual target cards.

My favorite condition, at our club, is L to R or R to L winds. Those darn 12:00 and 6:00 conditions eat my lunch and I try my best to avoid both. Some guys like them but they have been my nemesis and have suckered me into misses toooo many times.

I printed and laminated a wind rose and its on my bench most of the time and in my range bag. I've found it quite helpful learning wind. Its not 100% accurate all of the time but its a good tool to learn from. The one below is for .22 rimfire so keep in mind that lighter pellets are going to move a great deal more than a 40 grain .22LR.

Sighters are your friend and can be relied on more often than not.

ARA Windrose Large.JPG

+1 on learning patience to wait for the right conditions. Luckily there are no time limits to this 30 yard challenge but matches have time limits to shoot X number of bulls per individual target cards.

My favorite condition, at our club, is L to R or R to L winds. Those darn 12:00 and 6:00 conditions eat my lunch and I try my best to avoid both. Some guys like them but they have been my nemesis and have suckered me into misses toooo many times.

I printed and laminated a wind rose and its on my bench most of the time and in my range bag. I've found it quite helpful learning wind. Its not 100% accurate all of the time but its a good tool to learn from. The one below is for .22 rimfire so keep in mind that lighter pellets are going to move a great deal more than a 40 grain .22LR.

Sighters are your friend and can be relied on more often than not.

View attachment 279729
I have seen something similar from Mike N.

A couple of questions:

Is the outer ring in the wind rose the “8” ring? If so, I wonder why they did not portray the “6” and “7” rings in developing the wind rose? Especially with a 5 mph wind, which is significant.

Do you know the ring size measurements used?

Not sure you have the answers, but I was curious to see if there was anything more up to date with this RF wind rose graphic.

I never completely know when to use my flag or my prior shot’s POI, as to when to release. Candidly, I use my flags for direction indication, but a majority of time use my previous shot’s POI to set my hold off.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have some vertical space on my pellet trap so I think I will add some "sighters" below the 30 yard target. I'll also do something about wind flags. My wind situation is a bit complicated. My shooting bench is on my side porch less than a yard from the house. The first 25 feet of the pellet flight is thus along the house giving different wind conditions than the other 25 yards. May not make a lot of difference but it's different than a range situation. Fortunately we do not have as much wind in SC as other places I have lived.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have some vertical space on my pellet trap so I think I will add some "sighters" below the 30 yard target. I'll also do something about wind flags. My wind situation is a bit complicated. My shooting bench is on my side porch less than a yard from the house. The first 25 feet of the pellet flight is thus along the house giving different wind conditions than the other 25 yards. May not make a lot of difference but it's different than a range situation. Fortunately we do not have as much wind in SC as other places I have lived.
Sounds good. Your wind environment is tricky, since it’s not an open range.

Given your situation at the home range, maybe deploy your surveyor tape/ flag stand at 8 yards from muzzle and also at 23 yards approximately. Try using a near flag only and/or both near flag and 2nd flag.

Take everything I’m saying with a grain of salt. It’s a “for fun” challenge, so we are all learning and sharing.

Again, I think your prior shot’s POI is a huge factor in future wind holds. My opinion only, not fact.

Here is my first card shot today. I used my bsa scorpion se .177 10.3 gr JSB. I was holding for .5 moa for wind on many of the shots. The one really bad hit on box 3 must have been a bad pellet. Theres a couple hits I put question marks by and one that looks like its one number under but sitting a pellet over the hole looks like it would have to be a 9 not an 8 and the paper just didnt cut clean. I took out a pair of for sure 9’s so my final score should be within 1 of what I came up with if the hits are counted different. Let me know if you would score any of the hits differently. A wad cutter and heavy card stock would help but I dont have any heavy paper.

493F82B9-6C63-4E50-A9C6-BDA6902E1D2F.jpeg

Is the outer ring in the wind rose the “8” ring? If so, I wonder why they did not portray the “6” and “7” rings in developing the wind rose? Especially with a 5 mph wind, which is significant.

Do you know the ring size measurements used?

I never completely know when to use my flag or my prior shot’s POI, as to when to release. Candidly, I use my flags for direction indication, but a majority of time use my previous shot’s POI to set my hold off.

Hi Tom,

Below are measurements I took from the OD of the rings from an official ARA target sighter which are the same size as the target bulls. I think the wind rose picture I posted above is meant to replicate the ARA target. I just stumbled on this wind rose while searching for wind roses on Google Images. I am not the author of it nor affiliated with the ARA but only as a shooting competitor on a local level.

6028D46D-CD2E-4950-8605-F58228701EA1.jpeg

Below is a scoring example. They use worst edge scoring, I think that is what it’s called?
7B391ACF-9320-4CA8-BFEC-D65A30CF9989.jpeg

Last edited: