• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Oh up vote?...

Man im just tring to get use to this new forum layout. Its going to take some getting use to vs last time i posted anything here. this gave me a picture posting chance ... I think i liked the old way best for now .. im sire this new layout will rub on me soon..lol
Hello Mo-Ron,

Are you going to the First Page on this thread? You will find a "link" to upload a pdf file of the 30 Yard Target. Just click on that link and the file will upload, then save the file in whatever folder that you save files. If you have any problems send me a personal message with your email address and I can send you a direct pdf file.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

Good morning Tom @tcarlson777 I am submitting my latest effort shooting the 30 Yard Challenge card, this time using the new JSB Monster Redesigned 13.43gr .177 cal pellet in my FX Crown MK II rifle.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

FX Crown JSB Monster Redesigned 13.43 07-23-2022.jpg

Another .177 scores a 200! Really good card!

An argument ‘could’ be made that the .177’s are doing exceptionally well vs. other higher calibers, based on the 30 yard challenge results so far. I would have expected to see more “200” scores with the .22 ( and higher) calibers.

Probably just a coincidence, but this challenge has certainly opened my eyes with reference to .177 accuracy.

Another .177 scores a 200! Really good card!

An argument ‘could’ be made that the .177’s are doing exceptionally well vs. other higher calibers, based on the 30 yard challenge results so far. I would have expected to see more “200” scores with the .22 ( and higher) calibers.

Probably just a coincidence, but this challenge has certainly opened my eyes with reference to .177 accuracy.
Hello tommyb,

I surely cannot explain why, but in my case the .177 cal is my very favorite caliber. I just received a new .22 cal RAW so I will try and enter a good card in the .22 class.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

Reactions: davelarson
I just noticed this thread and decided to give it a try. This is my first attempt and I shot at 30 meters because that is where I have a stand for my pellet trap. I also shot the target sideways because that is how it fits on my trap. I see some reason for hope but I don't expect a 200 real soon. I think this is a 176 3X.
30 Meter 176 3x.jpg

Hi Jim and welcome to our fun. That is a great first attempt. Tell us about your rifle that was used, ammo, rest and anything else that is pertinent. You will be surprised how this little 30 yard challenge will improve your skills if you stick with it. I’m not competing with anyone else in this group except trying to beat my last efforts and it has really helped me. You will also improve if you shoot over some wind flags or just simple surveyors tape to learn to read the wind and it’s effect on pellet movements.

Thanks guys. I used the 22 caliber P35 because I think it is my most accurate air rifle but this will be a way to test that. I have twice shot a 3 shot group at 25 yards that was the size of a single pellet hole with it. I think the gun is thus capable of a better score but we'll see if I am. I just tried my 177 caliber P35 and shot a 156 with no Xs. There was some wind but I don't think that explains the difference. I still have a 25 caliber P35, a Prod, and a 25 caliber Avenger to try. I'm guessing the Avenger might be the only one to challenge my 22 caliber P35 but we'll see. Fun to try them out.

All my P35s have 1 inch length of pull extensions, minimum first stage trigger setting, a slightly lightened 2nd stage, and a crown polished with JBs on a brass screw. My 25 caliber P35 has a barrel polished with JBs but it didn't seem to do anything so I did not do it to the others. I shoot out of a CARM or the stock magazine and shoot pellets straight from the tin. I do not clean or lube. My Prod has a custom stock I made for it, a Bstaley tune, and a Buck Rail moderator. The latter seemed to really help it's accuracy. It's tuned up to about 18 fpe with a larger transfer port and a new hammer spring. I haven't touched the barrel or trigger. I spent quite a bit of time on the Avenger trigger and it is now a single stage. I've done nothing to it's barrel. The Avenger shoots FX 25.4s at about 930 fps. The Prod likes H&N copper plated FTTs and shoots them about 750 fps. My 177 P35 likes H&N Baracuda Power (10.65 grain) 900 fps, the 22 caliber likes H&N Barracuda Match (doesn't care which head size) 835 fps, and my 25 caliber likes H&N FTT (20.06 grain) 875 fps. I set these guns up to smack squirrels but it isn't squirrel season in SC so smacking paper is the best we can do.

The P35s get shot off a cheap UTG bipod and a leather sandbag at the rear. I adjust the rear bag with a air shim made to help hang doors. The bag is in a loose fitting plywood box with the shim bag in a slot at the bottom. I use a different Atlas imitation bipod on the Avenger and I shoot the Prod off a front rest I made decades ago for my PBs. All use the same rear bag. I shoot from a home made portable bench rest on the side porch of my house towards the lake in my back yard. My 33yard/100ft/30 meter brick column is against the fence at the back of my yard. I also have a 25 yard brick column. I shoot to check drop at other ranges using a 4x4 supported by an old brake rotor but 30 yards is inconvenient for this setup due to the slope of my yard. So I will probably stay with my 33 yard brick column. It might slightly raise my scores but I'm just doing this for fun.

Here's my best three cards (after many tries :)) with three different airguns. I wanted to give the HW44 a go, but really wasn't expecting much and for sure didn't expect to post any scores. Turns out, it wasn't bad at all. I was really pleased with that score. The low magnification 2-7x scope was the biggest problem, make that the second biggest problem, the guy behind it would be the weak link for sure. BTW I used a phillips screwdrive with a shank size of .223 for a scoring plug. The Vulcan 3 is the 500 mm barrel version and the Crown Mk1 has a 380 mm barrel.
PXL_20220717_171123408.jpg

PXL_20220716_001749583.MP.jpg

PXL_20220716_001717605.jpg