30-Yard Challenge

Thank you sir. That rifle is a Diana model 430 L. It likes h&n ftt pellets. It has a little bug buster 4x16x50.

I'm sure that there are a lot of shooters out there who will do better with their springers than I did but the challenge looked like it was so well suited for both springers and pcps to shoot together that I just felt like somebody ought to drop a Target here and it's pretty easy to be embarrassed by a PCP rifle if you're shooting a Springer.

I don't mind being embarrassed. 😁

First post from a new member to the forum who is still trying to figure out how to attach target photos to a post.

I have been following the recent activity on the 30 Yard Challenge and finally decided I just had to give it try. Shot my first two targets yesterday in breezy conditions reported to be SSE 7 to 9 mph with gusts to 22 mph. From my shooting bench position, the wind was switching between nine o'clock and one o'clock, which just happens to be my preferred direction when shooting a match. Since it wasn't a timed match, I made my shots dependent upon preferred wind flag positions and ended up needing twenty-eight minutes on the first target. On the second target I depended entirely upon my flags for hold-off as I didn't have the luxury of time and shot it in just under seven minutes due to cooking responsibilities.

The targets were scored with a .177 plug with a .224" collar. The 13.4 gr. JSB pellets were from a new unsorted tin and proved to be the most consistent I have encountered in a long time.

If the targets don't attach, I will ask Mike Niksch to post them for me.

Marvin

Got them to work, finally. Marvin has been playing the BR game very well for a long time.

6E78B684-F0B1-43E2-8447-95CFC0B5244A.1653969054.png
13EEFEA9-D556-4B18-B9FC-54B663699424.1653969055.png

First post from a new member to the forum who is still trying to figure out how to attach target photos to a post.

I have been following the recent activity on the 30 Yard Challenge and finally decided I just had to give it try. Shot my first two targets yesterday in breezy conditions reported to be SSE 7 to 9 mph with gusts to 22 mph. From my shooting bench position, the wind was switching between nine o'clock and one o'clock, which just happens to be my preferred direction when shooting a match. Since it wasn't a timed match, I made my shots dependent upon preferred wind flag positions and ended up needing twenty-eight minutes on the first target. On the second target I depended entirely upon my flags for hold-off as I didn't have the luxury of time and shot it in just under seven minutes due to cooking responsibilities.

The targets were scored with a .177 plug with a .224" collar. The 13.4 gr. JSB pellets were from a new unsorted tin and proved to be the most consistent I have encountered in a long time.

If the targets don't attach, I will ask Mike Niksch to post them for me.

Marvin

Hey Marvin

Incredibly accurate shooting, and with a significant wind. You definitely had a great read on your holds! Nice job!

Tom 

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest attempt at the 30 Yard Challenge Target with a score of 198 with my FX Crown MK II, shooting .177 cal JSB Exact Monster 13.43gr pellets. I discovered this morning that my scope was NOT true vertical center and after making that correction, I shot this target on the first try. I love shooting this rifle :)

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

198 30-Yard Challenge.1654206585.jpg

Jeez…..that’s a good score!

Those Crowns are also doing very well in the N50 50 yard BR matches. I am starting to think that the .177 high end guns are more accurate at 30 yards than the .22 cals.
1f600.svg
1f600.svg
1f600.svg
1f600.svg

Hello tommyb and thank you,

This rifle is a joy to shoot and now that I have it tuned in with these last adjustments ( I think ) it is a laser. 

ThomasT

I'm not clear on the use of "plugs" for scoring. I assume it is a device which looks like a top with a spindle which fits the hole in the target and has a larger section above which is used to score. It that is the case, would someone please check the score of this target with a 0.224 plug? I originally scored it by looking at the actual .177 holes. I use "On Target" to load and check my groups. In this instance I set the software to give me a .224 circle and scored by overlaying the circle on the hole.

Hello @tommyb

Thank you, the light lines for the target circles do make scoring easier and for us old folks with bad vision, the darker outlines makes it a bit easier to see. Also note that I added a "Scale" on the lower right corner showing 1/4", 1/2" and 1" to confirm when you print a target that it is the correct size.

ThomasT