30-Yard Challenge

Just a note to folks who are making target copies from the download. I've noticed, sometimes a particular copier will do odd things to the size scale. This one worked perfectly for me, but you should measure it. The 10 ring size is given at the bottom, 3.28 mm, or .129". I've made copies of other targets when I had to adjust the copy scale to get it right. At least they give you the measurement on this one.

Wow - That '10' ring is small! It measured a miniscule .128" on my Caliper, 3.28MM. 

I am used to shooting the N50 official sized 50 yard card stock targets, which are 11" X 17" cards. The '10' ring on that is approximately .275" in diameter.

re. Sighters - Yep, no sighters on this card so I guess you have to use one or two or your rejects as sighters. I guess I will zero as accurately as possible at 30 yards and then aim right at the '10' ring for my first shot. I'm a bit spoiled because there are two sighter rings on either side of each N50 row of five bulls, with unlimited sighters. I can already see here that your first shot might score an 'eight or nine hopefully,' then you need to adjust your hold.

I just printed Ten card stock targets for the 30 yard challenge and will look for a light wind day at my local outdoor range to keep up with you hot shots!

This is going to be fun!

Tom

Reactions: beerthief
Regarding sighters, it's not a problem. Just put a couple of small circles somewhere on the target backing, off the actual target paper. Or, a small piece of paper with aiming points, attached to one of the target staples, but off the target itself.

Yeah, that’s the plan. Thanks Ed.

In fact, I will align them evenly by row ( just to the right or left ) so I can minimize movement to just horizontal only shifts. I’m spoiled with the N50 cards because they are right next to the bull I am shooting. But, your idea will work too.

Thanks for trying to remove all of my ‘excuses’ before I try the challenge.😂😂😂

Went to the local outdoor range today. Nice weather, but windy. I had my Kestrel wind meter and at the bench it was between 2-6 mph, with an average at around 3 mph. I did deploy a near flag around 10 feet from my muzzle. Range'd my 30 yard target with my lazer range finder, and I was good to go. 

I used my RAW .22 HM1000x HP, shooting the JSB RDs at around 935 FPS. Clean barrel to start, and after shooting the 4th card, I cleaned again and shot a couple of groups at 50 yards. Did not include pics of the groups, but it was back to around .5 to .7 inch accuracy if I waited for the wind to die down. It did shoot well today. 

I shot four cards this morning, and I must say, it was a blast. ( 197, 192, 196 and 187 ). This is pretty challenging to say the least, if you are trying to hit twenty .129" ten rings. I zero'd in as best I could with the wind, and was on my way. Glad we can throw out four bulls out of the 24 bulls, and even with that it is a challenge.

My holds were on the nine ring mostly at 8am, 3pm, 12noon and 4pm - all dependent on wind shifts or my wind reading. Next time out, I would like to wait for a 0-1 mph wind time, but it's hard to get that outdoors in an open field. 

I think I might be hooked on this 30 yard and the normal N50 50 yard virtual challenges on AGN.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 12.05.08 PM.1648228578.png

IMG_5550.1648228597.jpg

IMG_5551.1648228971.jpg

IMG_5552.1648228623.jpg

IMG_5553.1648228636.jpg

Nice shooting, Tommy! Y'all have confirmed my thought when I made this thread; I need to step up my game! I thought shooting in the 170s was really good, but you guys are in the 190s. Won't be long and somebody will post a 200, and we'll have to start counting X's.

Q: What gun did you shoot those cards with? If it was an Avenger or DAR, it will blow my mind.

Nice shooting, Tommy! Y'all have confirmed my thought when I made this thread; I need to step up my game! I thought shooting in the 170s was really good, but you guys are in the 190s. Won't be long and somebody will post a 200, and we'll have to start counting X's.

Q: What gun did you shoot those cards with? If it was an Avenger or DAR, it will blow my mind.

Thanks Tom, and thanks for setting up this 30 yard challenge.

I edited/updated my post and I am using a RAW HM1000X .22 HP. Between that and my Daystate Safari .22 HP, those are my two most accurate bench rest guns for primarily 50 and 100 yard bench rest paper targets. I am constantly challenging the Safari and visa versa with the RAW, to see which gun likes me more depending on the day.

I'd like to see some of the regular top bench rest guys ( i.e., RMAC, EBR, N50, etc...) participate in this 30 yard challenge so we can get this 30 yard challenge going with some more momentum. I realize it's only 30 yards, but hitting a 200 score outdoors with wind, makes it a good challenge. I am sure there are several if not more who will post some perfect scores!

tcarlson, I'd like to try this but it says at the bottom of the target that the 10 ring is 3,28mm yet you stated above in your first post that "The 10 ring is 4.5mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly" so can you clarify so that I can adjust my printer settings correctly? However, when I printed my target the gray area indeed is closer to 3,8mm than 4,5mm.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Just printed some targets on card stock, . However, we have snow on the ground this morning AGAIN so it looks like its going to be a few more days until I can give this a try but I am looking forward to it.

So, looking at the scoring above it appears that if the hole touches the grey then you are scoring it a 10? But its kind of confusing because it says (at the bottom of the target) you have to touch the center black dot to score a 10. Are you plugging with a .22 plug or using a N50 (.350) plug?

Thanks for the clarification guys. Just printed some targets on card stock, . However, we have snow on the ground this morning AGAIN so it looks like its going to be a few more days until I can give this a try but I am looking forward to it.

So, looking at the scoring above it appears that if the hole touches the grey then you are scoring it a 10? But its kind of confusing because it says (at the bottom of the target) you have to touch the center black dot to score a 10. Are you plugging with a .22 plug or using a N50 (.350) plug?

I may have goofed. I thought you just had to ‘touch’ the 10 ring for it to count. If that is how we are supposed to score, it is very different than other venues, N50 as an example. My vote would be to score it if the hole touches the ring, not the X. Don’t think score plugs have been decided yet either. 

Tom - your idea, so you decide.

I just reread the target scoring instructions. Indeed, it does clearly state that a 10 must totally remove the gray center ring, not just touch it. Now the 200 score makes sense, it won't be easy. And it also precludes the use of anything bigger than .22, as it would be an unfair advantage. Power isn't mentioned, but again, it's not a HP game, and it would seem that a standard power rifle (30 fpe) should be the limit. Of course, it's just a fun thing, and as long as the shooter states the equipment used, it shouldn't matter. Obviously, someone who blows all the centers out with a HP .450 would not earn a lot of admiration.