30-Yard Challenge

That was fun - my first time participating in the challenge. Our club range is set at 25 meters (about 27.3 yds) so a little short of 30 yds. It was a little windy but learning the wind is really what it's about. I shot my .177 RAW with a 36X Sightron scope using jsb 13.4 gr pellets. If I can get out a little earlier to shoot again tomorrow I'll have a little less wind to complain about ;-). It was fun. Thanks to whoever put this together. Bob

30 yd Challenge.1651439457.jpg

You guys are all doing great and even improving too!

I got all excited yesterday pulled off the .30 barrel and just put on my tensioned 800mm 22 Barrel. But not having fun finding the right speed for slugs, but for 18 gr jsb pellets it shoots great at 965 fps. First card I got 194. I just need to calm down a bit to do any better as the air gun is doing better than I am. 🙄

The second card I did worse as the extra long barrel was riding on top of the window sill without my knowledge which in turn changed my POI. Duh! 

20220501_201852.1651462214.jpg

Allen

A bunch of sweet 196 cards lately! Everyone is getting better as we go. 

I went to the range today and started out shooting a card with the Red Wolf .22 HP. I noticed about half way through a pretty good card, my cocking lever which is always buttery smooth was struggling a bit with the pellet probe getting my pellet seated correctly into the chamber. I took a shot, and I "may" have accidentally double loaded a pellet, because I saw two holes near the bottom of my card. See below.

There was a nice guy next to me and he was talking constantly, and I took my eye off the ball of course and was trying to talk and chew gum at the same time. I then took a sighter and hit an X. I thought the problem was solved with the double load pellet fiasco and started shooting the rest of the card. 

IMG_5878.1651510065.jpg

If you look closely, you can see my double loaded 2-pellet mis-fire near the bottom right.

Next, and unbeknownst to me, I did not realize my SST must not have been seated exactly right and was wondering why I had three or four hard to load pellets. Checked the MRDs and they were fine. Then, I had a flier ( see #5 bull ) and now I knew something was wrong with my magazine and as I removed the SST to check, my breech O-ring popped out. I did this same thing several months ago, and I guess "twice" (and not 3 times) is the charm here since I also ejected my O-ring then too. The SST normally always seats very crisply and securely, but I must not have been paying close attention and was distracted. 

Note to self: Be very careful about loading the SST in the Safari and make 100% sure it is seated correctly. Also, don't double load pellets and pay attention to what you are doing, even when you are talking to friends. 

Disgusted, I put the RW back in the truck and then shot two cards with the RAW. I could tell my concentration was crap bc, I was still thinking about the dumb ass moves I made with the RW. I will re-seat / replace my breech O-ring and shoot the RW again another day. 

RAW cards below:

IMG_5877.1651509774.jpg

First card was a 191, and next was a 197.

tommyb,

The only thing that RAW needs to shoot now is a 200, so let's get going. Heck, maybe next outing with the Red Wolf you'll score 200 as well. Payback, you know...LoL

Too bad about the RW; I had a similar "lost concentration" moment with my Wolverine and loaded a pellet backwards. 1st time that had happened; every shot after that let me know something was wrong because the rifle was suddenly very LOUD. Blew out the breech O-ring, of course. Easy fix, although I had a fun time getting the O-ring back into that tiny little breech recess.

Happy Shootin'!

Shot the Challenge card again today. Today I shot my Thomas HV .177 field target model. Shot the Jsb 13.4's (not redesigns) at 27.4 yds outside. Used a .22 cal plug instead of the .22 cal tail. Had a couple that I "think" we're touching the 10 line and one just shy. Had one obvious flyer and one I thought I read the wind wrong but looking at it I can see the profile of the pellet so I think it was tumbling. Hard to tell sometimes. Regardless, it was fun. So I'm pretty sure it was a 199 with 16x's. We have a club match on the 15th of May and I'm going to try and get a few more people to play. I have a RAW .22 1000x with an FX superior barrel liner that I'll shoot tomorrow to see what happens. Bob

30 yd Challenge 5-3-2022.1651604477.jpg

Thanks, BobS. The pellets I used are from of an old lot of Exact Kings. I've got a few tins of a more recent vintage that don't shoot quite as well; lots of jagged and bent skirts. 

This challenge is unforgiving; I am used to just shooting groups of 5 or 10 and being satisfied with a single, ragged hole. Scoring each shot tells you a lot more about how you & the rifle are actually doing. I like this type of shooting much better just because of that feedback.

These RAWs truly are some incredible tools. Also, you & your Thomas .177 are working quite well together, I see... Happy Shootin'!

Shot the Challenge card again today. Today I shot my Thomas HV .177 field target model. Shot the Jsb 13.4's (not redesigns) at 27.4 yds outside. Used a .22 cal plug instead of the .22 cal tail. Had a couple that I "think" we're touching the 10 line and one just shy. Had one obvious flyer and one I thought I read the wind wrong but looking at it I can see the profile of the pellet so I think it was tumbling. Hard to tell sometimes. Regardless, it was fun. So I'm pretty sure it was a 199 with 16x's. We have a club match on the 15th of May and I'm going to try and get a few more people to play. I have a RAW .22 1000x with an FX superior barrel liner that I'll shoot tomorrow to see what happens. Bob

30 yd Challenge 5-3-2022.1651604477.jpg

Good card Bob.

Anxious to see that RAW shoot at 910 FPS. I’m guessing it will be very accurate, especially at 30 yards. I’m shooting mine at 940 FPS.

Q. Bob, when you shoot at 100Y with your RAW .22 HM1000x, do you adjust HST for higher velocity? I’m asking bc 910 fps sounds a bit slow for MRDs at 100Y.

Tom 

Hi Tommy, I shot my .22 RAW today but I decided to try 18 gr pellets. I've never shot them before and I didn't have a chrony set up so I have no clue how fast they were going. I'll post the card later but I wasn't impressed. If you have an fps you like for 18gr would you mind passing that on to me? I've never shot 100yds. Our club (Open Grove in Oxnard, CA) has 25m and 50yd targets lines. I haven't put a lot of time into 50yd yet. Mostly 25m HV and if I can get the .22 raw to shoot well I shoot open with that rifle. To be honest my Thomas and Raw are great rifles at 25m. I may even try the 16gr with my Thomas for open class. I'll try and get out Friday/Sat and test it. Bob