• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Hi Guys,
So it has been a while since I shot the Nordic Wolf Crown and today seemed like a good day. After talking to Ed about his experiences at NAC I decided to turn my King into a .25 600mm pellet shooter for doing 100yd benchrest. That meant I put the .22 500mm barrel back in the NW Crown. I played around a bunch with the tune and found a really good one. SD of 3 and ES of 8 on 70 shot string! Plus, it seemed to be more accurate. The big difference from my other .22 tunes is I put the Transfer Port Wheel on Medium (instead of High). I had to increase reg pressure and hammer spring tension to get the 18.1's to fly at around 870. So why the long story.....
Shot two cards today. A 40yd Challange and a 30 yd Masters. A 2-3 mph gusty breeze from my 9:00, but really good conditions. The 40yd is good, at 192-11x, but I have done better with this rifle. But the 30yd Masters was exceptional - 200-17x!

View attachment 466585

and
View attachment 466586

I shot this last card in columns instead of rows. It made the sight-in adjustment a bit easier. I also had to check that last shot as I thought I might have blown it - below is a picture confirming the 10. Yipee!

View attachment 466587

Cheers,
Greg

Congratulations on the 200 Masters Greg, I’ve never shot one… choked and shot a 9 on the last target for a 199 a couple times…

Damn, now my 200 13X 30-Challenge card with the Crown a couple months ago looks weak by comparison to your 30-Masters.

I’ve been working on 40-Masters with Crown - have a string of 10+ 40-Masters of 191+ with it…

… and now I’m gonna have to rezero at 30 yards, lol. I’ve never done 18X… that’s what I’ve gotta shoot to beat ya…

Awesome job,

Ed

Now get that King tuned for 100 !!

Got out today early, no wind.

Shot both 30Y Challenge and 30Y Masters cards. 5 cards in total.

I missed my first 200 of the year by one strange flier, on the 30Y Challenge card. I totally missed all the rings and cannot figure out what happened.

199-11X - will submit for next leaderboard.

Also shot a 194-14X Masters.

The new Heras is making it a bit easier with the 40X magnification.

IMG_1194.jpeg

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

IMG_1197.jpeg

Reactions: rc4fun and NAProf
Nice shooting Tom! II think when you miss by that little it could be so many things that it is almost random. Looks like the HM100x is a winner with those shallows.
Cheers,
Greg
Thanks Greg.

I will admit that the Shallows are shooting well.

But, the FX 25.39 and JTS 25.39 are very close in accuracy too.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Hi Guys!
Spent a bunch of time today tuning the King .25 600mm with the 33.94gr pellets. I am getting close to a good tune at 50yds. Will now have to jump to 70 yds and see how it does.
About 7PM I was putting stuff away in my backyard range when it dawned on me the wind had absolutely died - none! Saw this as a perfect .177 opportunity at 40 yds. Quickly got my FT rig out and shot one card - 197-12x. Best I have done at that range with the .177. And there were five10's. I do love those Crowns !:love:
Cheers,
Greg
40yd Challenge GM 5-25-24.jpg

You guys are shooting up a storm!!

Greg - absolutely amazing 40-Yard card with .177.

I shot these two cards just now - Dreamline Classic .177 with modest Arken scope. I am hung over from too much bourbon yesterday. First card was better than I expected so I pushed out to 40 yards for 2nd card - using only 10.3g pellets.

190 7X at 40 yards with 10.3g - I’m happy with that - no sighters - so I had to adjust for breeze changes based on previous shot.

-Ed

IMG_4747.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpeg

Reactions: RCope and NAProf
Was out of town for a week, excited to have some time to shoot a couple of cards with my AA 510XS. Tried my heaviest pellet at 860 avg fps. (.177 JBS 13.4 redesigned). After sunset with poor light but light winds. I was losing light (and focus) with my second card...
View attachment 467341View attachment 467342

Good shooting Rick! If you check our leaderboards, you will notice that most shooters are getting best results with your 13.4g pellet at 800-840fps - with 820 seeming about ideal.

Reactions: RCope
Hi Guys!
Spent a bunch of time today tuning the King .25 600mm with the 33.94gr pellets. I am getting close to a good tune at 50yds. Will now have to jump to 70 yds and see how it does.
About 7PM I was putting stuff away in my backyard range when it dawned on me the wind had absolutely died - none! Saw this as a perfect .177 opportunity at 40 yds. Quickly got my FT rig out and shot one card - 197-12x. Best I have done at that range with the .177. And there were five10's. I do love those Crowns !:love:
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 467363

Very high score at 40! Looks like the “no wind” idea paid off with the .177 Crown Greg.

Reactions: NAProf
Was out of town for a week, excited to have some time to shoot a couple of cards with my AA 510XS. Tried my heaviest pellet at 860 avg fps. (.177 JBS 13.4 redesigned). After sunset with poor light but light winds. I was losing light (and focus) with my second card...
View attachment 467341View attachment 467342
Rick,
You might want to give the older JSB 13.4's a look. I found them to shoot more consistently out of the FX liners than the Redesigns. I have a friend who just received his Thomas Air .177 carbine, and he was told by the builder to ONLY shoot the old "trash can" 13.4 JSB's.

Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: RCope
Rick,
You might want to give the older JSB 13.4's a look. I found them to shoot more consistently out of the FX liners than the Redesigns. I have a friend who just received his Thomas Air .177 carbine, and he was told by the builder to ONLY shoot the old "trash can" 13.4 JSB's.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg,

I heard this same thing from Scott ( Motorhead Tuning ) when we were discussing the 13.4g pellets. How do you order the old “trash can” 13.4’s? Who has them and how do you distinguish?

Greg,

I heard this same thing from Scott ( Motorhead Tuning ) when we were discussing the 13.4g pellets. How do you order the old “trash can” 13.4’s? Who has them and how do you distinguish?
Tom,
You can get them from any supplier, just look for the 13.4 gr without the "Redesigned" label. I actually like the FX 13.4 gr as they are the old design and a bit cheaper.
The shape is obvious when you see them side by side. (Phot below- a bit blurry but Redesigned on left "Trash Can" on right.
Cheers,
Greg
13.4 gr old vs new.jpg

Tom,
You can get them from any supplier, just look for the 13.4 gr without the "Redesigned" label. I actually like the FX 13.4 gr as they are the old design and a bit cheaper.
The shape is obvious when you see them side by side. (Phot below- a bit blurry but Redesigned on left "Trash Can" on right.
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 467580

Greg, thanks for the fast response. Very helpful.

Going to find them now, first stop Trenier!

Greg,

Pyramyd Air has the JSB "trash cans" in stock. The new one have "redesigned" in the listed name at PA.

Hi Guys,

I had to send my new Falcon X505 ft scope back to Falcon Optics. I was having trouble with the focus ring. They stepped right up and are sending me a new scope (thanks Nick). But that meant the old Helix went back on the NW Crown. Put it on this morning and reset the adjustable rings and was sighting it in. I realized that with the storms on their way we were in the proverbial "lull before the storm". Very little wind. So decided to shoot a 40 yd Masters card with the NW Crown. Glad I did. A 195-10x. That is the best I have done with any rifle on a 40yd Masters.
Happy Memorial Day! And a heartfelt thanks to those of you who served, and remembering our fathers and mothers - the Greatest Generation.
Cheers,
Greg
NW 40 yd Masters 5-27-24.jpg

Hi Guys,

I had to send my new Falcon X505 ft scope back to Falcon Optics. I was having trouble with the focus ring. They stepped right up and are sending me a new scope (thanks Nick). But that meant the old Helix went back on the NW Crown. Put it on this morning and reset the adjustable rings and was sighting it in. I realized that with the storms on their way we were in the proverbial "lull before the storm". Very little wind. So decided to shoot a 40 yd Masters card with the NW Crown. Glad I did. A 195-10x. That is the best I have done with any rifle on a 40yd Masters.
Happy Memorial Day! And a heartfelt thanks to those of you who served, and remembering our fathers and mothers - the Greatest Generation.
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 467803

Greg - I think I am going to have Ed move you back to 50y and make the rings smaller😉😉

Truly excellent!

Re. Memorial Day - Everyone shares those same sentiments on this special day and thanks to all our service members for their sacrifices.

Reactions: NAProf
Had some time after a thunderstorm with no wind. Playing with a different pellet, .177 JSB 16.2gr (it has the "trash can" shape). With my AA 510XS on its highest power it only got to 793 avg. Still, very happy with this card. I'll keep looking for that magic pellet, it's got to be the pellet, right :) ?
IMG_5459.jpg