30-Yard Challenge

Shot the Wolverine R HP .22 the other day. Will submit the only two cards I shot for the leaderboard:

30-Challenge: 196 10X
30-Masters: 191 6X

I rarely shoot the Wolverine at 30, because the rifle shoots the 18.13s over 1,000 fps (accurately) - feels like too much firepower for 30 yards. Actually, the rifle is amazingly docile and quiet to shoot - its just in my head that it’s better suited to 40+ yards.

I’m starting to get the May Leaderboard updates done - so get some lead down range and submit some good scores gentlemen.

-Ed

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg

IMG_4541.jpeg

Reactions: JimD
Shot the Wolverine R HP .22 the other day. Will submit the only two cards I shot for the leaderboard:

30-Challenge: 196 10X
30-Masters: 191 6X

I rarely shoot the Wolverine at 30, because the rifle shoots the 18.13s over 1,000 fps (accurately) - feels like too much firepower for 30 yards. Actually, the rifle is amazingly docile and quiet to shoot - its just in my head that it’s better suited to 40+ yards.

I’m starting to get the May Leaderboard updates done - so get some lead down range and submit some good scores gentlemen.

-Ed

View attachment 462508

View attachment 462509

View attachment 462510

Anytime you have to throw away ‘Four Nine’s’ means you are shooting well. I can’t help wondering if the velocity was lower on the Wolverine, would that help/hinder your scoring.

Ed, My leaderboard submissions are all up to date for May, if I don’t get out this week.

Leaderboard submission from yesterday:

Reximex Daystar .177 (unregulated)
30-Challenge: 194 12X
30-Masters: 197 17X (!)

I shot 30-Challenge cards of :
194 11X
190 9X
194 12X

Only shot the one incredible 30-Masters card. The wind died down for the Masters card. It was crazy for the Challenge cards. My flags were showing wind moving right and the pellets were going left - costing me an entire row on the 194 12X card.

This Reximex rifle is identical mechanically to Benjamin Cayden and Akela. I believe Reximex is the parent company to Kral. The Turks make great rifles and barrels.

The Daystar is finished to a higher standard than the Benjamin rifles in my opinion. It has a 5 detent power adjuster, and the top rail is BOTH picatinny and dovetail (more rifles should come this way). Internally, the Daystar had a bit more attention to detail than Benjamin - the hammer spring was a more reasonable length, but still required shortening from 3.1” to 2.8”.

Reximex does not seem to have a US distributor, but Canada does. With the current Canadian exchange rate, this rifle is available in .177, .22 and .25 for $473 US dollars, lol - incredible value.

-Ed

IMG_4610.jpeg

IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

Last day of shooting targets for this week, heading out of town.

Shot two 30Y Masters cards and three 40Y cards; 2 of those 40Y cards were challenge cards and one Masters. The Masters needs an explanation. I forgot I was shooting a 40Y Masters and accidentally crossed out two pairs of bulls. If you add those back in, it was a 185 Masters. See card #5. The wind got me good, or......I just sucked. Ha ha....

Got my new Athlon Heras scope, and it took me one shot to get on paper and two or three more to zero at 30Y. Nice and clear, good glass from Japan, and price is good. I mounted it on the RAW HM1000X .22 HP for today. I was pleasantly surprised with nice crisp Elevation and Windage audible clicks as I was getting a zero for both 30 and 40Y. Field of view is a little small for me, but I'm finicky and like a big sight picture. No complaints. What a difference as I zoomed in to 35X magnification, and it does make a considerable difference on my hold aim points. I can actually see the rings very clearly now.

I am extremely happy with the consistent shot string spreads for the RAW. I did not document the shot by shot FPS, but I have it saved on my Garmin. It was right around 950-953 most of the time. ES was excellent after 22 shots or so. I have not had "any" card yet in two years that had 17X's, so I am more happy about that then the score.

RAW HM1000X .22 HP Leaderboard Submissions:

30Y Masters - 197-17X ( The # 10 left bull was a close 9, but I included a picture with the scoring plug )
40Y Masters - 185-5X

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD and NAProf
i went out and shot two more cards today . i did pretty good . The Vulcan is a frigen lazer!

View attachment 462889

View attachment 462890

Greg, your back-to-back cards with your 700mm .22 Vulcan 3 are as good as I can recall seeing here back-to-back.

Can you share a bit more info on your Vulcan? Pellet used - velocity? Scope used - magnification setting?

I can’t recall seeing a Vulcan on our Leaderboards before, so we all want to know more about the rifle. Yep, its a laser!!

We collect a lot of data - hoping it will help fellow shooters make good purchase and tuning decisions as we all pursue accuracy.

Thanks,

Ed

Greg, your back-to-back cards with your 700mm .22 Vulcan 3 are as good as I can recall seeing here back-to-back.

Can you share a bit more info on your Vulcan? Pellet used - velocity? Scope used - magnification setting?

I can’t recall seeing a Vulcan on our Leaderboards before, so we all want to know more about the rifle. Yep, its a laser!!

We collect a lot of data - hoping it will help fellow shooters make good purchase and tuning decisions as we all pursue accuracy.

Thanks,

Ed
That's some fine shooting Guy's!

I haven't done anything to the gun other than play wit the hammer spring . When I ordered the gun I asked Tony from Talon Tunes to set the plenum for the smaller volume of air .I am shooting JTS 18 grain 965. I have a bunch of scopes .It has a Hawke Sidewinder8-32×56 on it now .I use a swing out single feed loader from Orion not because I think that it is more accurate but I got use to loafing after each shot from when I shot rimefire . I like to make the gun heavy so I like a heavy scope with high magnification .I don't spend a lot on scopes . I have 2 sidewinder. The other is a 10-50 x60. I Also have some Vector Sential 10-40x50 I like second focal plane with fine cross hair or dot . Can see from the pictures of my guns that I add weight to the rail under the gun .I shoot off a front bag and set the stock on a Top Dog adjustable rear rest. The Vulcan has a great reg with very good FPS consistency. The JTS pellets are all hat I use I shoot on nice days with good conditions

My rig .I'm not looking to toot my own horn but to show that my targets are legit you can go to the Appalachian Leadhead forum on Facebook and you will see that I won every card for the last 5 matches with the exception of one that I double loaded.

View attachment 463151

Nice setup - I do something similar with my setup as far as adding weight - I actually use a weight plate.

I have the exact same Prophets you have - .22 and .25 Prophet V1s with LR barrels. It would be great if you could shoot some Challenge cards with them and share results.

The Prophet is probably my favorite overall air rifle. I’ve posted some really good results with them here.

-Ed

Leaderboard Update - May 10, 2024

Shooters,
Below are our leaderboards, with submissions through and including May 10th (today).

There were some great scores submitted and some great discussion on our AGN thread this month.

We also had scores submitted from a number of new shooters – great to see more folks taking up the Challenge!

Notables since last Update:

Sharp Pog shot a 200-17X 30-Challenge with his AGT Vulcan 3 .22

EPG shot a 200-13X 30-Challenge with his new-to-him Taipan Veteran 2 .22

mreynolds shot a 199-15X 40-Challenge with his Thomas .177 (yes, that’s a 199 at 40 yards with a .177 !!)

mreynolds with his USFT and EPG with his Dreamline Classic submitted 199s

JimD, Headshots, EPG and TommyB submitted 197s

RCope is on the board twice with his AA S510 – because I thought his experiment with low velocity is very relevant.

New shooters Jetdro, Skeeekerz, Pfddi and Headshots are all on the Leaderboard – with missing data (i.e. Headshots – how many Xs on the 197 target?)

Weather is getting nice – keep throwing that lead downrange. I’m gonna start shooting more 40 yard cards as the winter wind is gone…

-Ed
AGN 30-C Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN 30-M Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN 40-C Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN 40-M Leaderboard.jpeg

HoA.jpeg

Reactions: NAProf
I will shoot some cards with them . I need to order some pellets for the 25 . I was playing with the 22 today and It wasnt shooting very well . I was trying different speeds and pellets but couldnt get it to shoot like I now it can . I gave up for awhile the went back out and took the barrel off and scrubbed it . As it was getting dark I put 5 shots through the same round hole at 34 yards so now I dont have to go to sleep frustrated LOL. I have a 22 LR barrel ,a version 3 22 barrel and a 25 cal version 2 barrel In my opinion there is nothing to not like about the Prophet 1

I see that you {EPG} have been doing very well with your FX . I started out with a crown Mk11 I wanted to love it but I cant get past the POI shifts . I still have it. I am not a fan of barrel liners . I plan to get a real barrel machined to fit it . That project has been on the back burner

My Crown Mk2 is amazing at 40 yards - so consistent in the vertical. Not my favorite by far, but it’s accurate. For FX I much prefer my Dreamlines - much smoother.

The two Prophets are my usual favorites. I’ve got .177, .22 LR, .25LR and .30 barrels. I recently had the .22 tuned where it was outperforming the Crown, but had to put on the .30 and .25 barrels for a recent competition.

I live in the northeast, so all these compressed air guns PoI shift in my opinion. I shot 3 40-Masters cards with the Crown two nights ago: 192-10X, 193-8X and 188-10X.

The 188 card would have been 195+ - every shot was good on the horizontal. But my PoI started dropping because the sun went down and the temperature outside dropped about 15 degrees. I tried to adjust on the fly, but you know if your vertical is inconsistent, you are toast on a precision target like ours.

Was your Crown shifting in the vertical, the horizontal, or both?

My Crown Mk2 is amazing at 40 yards - so consistent in the vertical. Not my favorite by far, but it’s accurate. For FX I much prefer my Dreamlines - much smoother.

The two Prophets are my usual favorites. I’ve got .177, .22 LR, .25LR and .30 barrels. I recently had the .22 tuned where it was outperforming the Crown, but had to put on the .30 and .25 barrels for a recent competition.

I live in the northeast, so all these compressed air guns PoI shift in my opinion. I shot 3 40-Masters cards with the Crown two nights ago: 192-10X, 193-8X and 188-10X.

The 188 card would have been 195+ - every shot was good on the horizontal. But my PoI started dropping because the sun went down and the temperature outside dropped about 15 degrees. I tried to adjust on the fly, but you know if your vertical is inconsistent, you are toast on a precision target like ours.

Was your Crown shifting in the vertical, the horizontal, or both?

It is a 16x . The JTS 22.07gr pellets are going 800 fps.
I had to edit because I counted one I crossed out .

20240511_101759.jpg

Reactions: RCope
A nice day with light, variable wind. Continued my simple experiment with lower fps for my AA S510 and the JTS 10.4 .177. Warmed up and sighted in at 738 avg and shot a great card (for me). Then clicked up the power one step to 918fps (just a simple dial on this rifle), re-sighted, and shot another card...not so great. So for this rifle and this pellet, I know what I need to do :).
IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5445.jpg

A nice day with light, variable wind. Continued my simple experiment with lower fps for my AA S510 and the JTS 10.4 .177. Warmed up and sighted in at 738 avg and shot a great card (for me). Then clicked up the power one step to 918fps (just a simple dial on this rifle), re-sighted, and shot another card...not so great. So for this rifle and this pellet, I know what I need to do :).
View attachment 464001View attachment 464002

Great card! I always loved the look of Air Arms S510, but have not owned Air Arms for some reason.

Can you test 845-855 and 885-895 fps by adjusting hs preload? I will check my data, but I believe my experience is similar with .177 10.x grain pellets - that above 900 fps, accuracy starts to suffer.

Shot my HW100 .22 Carbine today. Shot six cards at 30 yards and threw one in the trash.

Overall, very solid shooting with the 30Y Challenge card with a slight wind @ 1-3 mph, and still at times. Although it was slight, I still missed some wind calls or had a rare bad pellet possibly. I did get some unexpected rare fliers, but it was probably the wind. Note to self: Inspect the pellets a bit more carefully when I am loading either SST or the magazine. I used both today; SST and magazine.

183-5X (throw away)
186-9X
194-5X
194-7X
196-11X
196-12X

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Reactions: Headshots
View attachment 464001View attachment 464002
That's a great card Rick.

Motorhead ( Scott ) once told me when he was tuning my Daystate Regal XL .22 --- "Faster isn't always better." I was fairly new to Airguns at the time, and was drinking all the Kool-Aid about higher velocity and the relative correlation to improving accuracy. Sometimes this is true, but not always.

The HW100 .22 is a perfect example. I now have a tune ( thanks to EPG ) of 810 FPS with the 15.89 Atomic pellet and around 750 FPS with the 18.1G. Very accurate right now for these challenges, especially with the 15.89 JSB Atomic.

I'll never go back to 850 FPS with the 18.1g, nor over 900 FPS with the 15.89.