30-Yard Challenge

I’ve been shooting the Crown Mk2 at 30 yards - its been a bit too windy for 40 yards.

I rarely shoot the Crown at 30, because its so freakin’ good at 40, but having wind adds to the challenge at 30.

Shot one card at dusk yesterday and four cards today:

198 16X 30-Challenge (yesterday)
196 14X 30-Masters
198 16X 30-Masters
198 15X 30-Masters
200 13X 30-Challenge

The 198 16X 30-Masters today was the best card. Shot an 8 due to releasing a good shot right when the wind gusted - dang, coulda been a 200-Masters Marvin Reynolds type card.

13X is kinda weak for a 200 card, but I threw away two 19Xs and the wind was challenging , you can see it was blowing shots left on target. A battle kind of 200, lol.

Submitting the 198 16X 30-Masters and the 200 30-Challenge cards for the leaderboard.

Picture of the cardboard after two consecutive 198 30-Masters loks cool, thought I’d share it.

-Ed

IMG_4152.jpeg

IMG_4150.jpeg

IMG_4151.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

IMG_4155.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

I shot a bunch of 30Y Masters and a couple of 40 yard challenge cards today.

I did not include the 40Y Challenge ( high 180's ), but have included all the 30Y Masters Cards. I used my recently tuned ( by EPG ) HW100 for the session. Ed has a HW110 and was gracious enough to help me with fixing/tuning my HW100. It is shooting very well and accurate at a much lower velocity than I thought would achieve such good results. Thanks to Ed for his time and diligence in getting the most out of this rifle.

Leaderboard updates:

30Y Masters - HW100 .22 caliber with a 193-11X
30Y Challenge - HW100 .22 caliber with a 197-11X

Scope - I love the Sightron 4-16x 2FP scope, but I need much higher magnification for more precise holds. I think that would get me a few more points.

Thinking of a variable 36x or higher 2FP so I can keep the scope on the HW100 for both 30y challenge and backyard squirrels. The fixed Sightrons are great, but not for pesting at 30-40 yards.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been shooting the Crown Mk2 at 30 yards - its been a bit too windy for 40 yards.

I rarely shoot the Crown at 30, because its so freakin’ good at 40, but having wind adds to the challenge at 30.

Shot one card at dusk yesterday and four cards today:

198 16X 30-Challenge (yesterday)
196 14X 30-Masters
198 16X 30-Masters
198 15X 30-Masters
200 13X 30-Challenge

The 198 16X 30-Masters today was the best card. Shot an 8 due to releasing a good shot right when the wind gusted - dang, coulda been a 200-Masters Marvin Reynolds type card.

13X is kinda weak for a 200 card, but I threw away two 19Xs and the wind was challenging , you can see it was blowing shots left on target. A battle kind of 200, lol.

Submitting the 198 16X 30-Masters and the 200 30-Challenge cards for the leaderboard.

Picture of the cardboard after two consecutive 198 30-Masters loks cool, thought I’d share it.

-Ed

View attachment 445412

View attachment 445413

View attachment 445414

View attachment 445415

View attachment 445416

View attachment 445417

Ed,

I think you should submit/propose the “cardboard” for the next leaderboard category. Maybe something like, “nicest looking holes” category. 😉

Just teasin’ ya, but those cards are exceptional. The Crown is really dialed in for optimum accuracy.

Nostalgia - March 2024 marks two years since Tom Carlson started this thread. I wonder how many new / used scopes, guns, and other accessories were obtained as a result of this challenge.

Ed,

I think you should submit/propose the “cardboard” for the next leaderboard category. Maybe something like, “nicest looking holes” category. 😉

Just teasin’ ya, but those cards are exceptional. The Crown is really dialed in for optimum accuracy.

Nostalgia - March 2024 marks two years since Tom Carlson started this thread. I wonder how many new / used scopes, guns, and other accessories were obtained as a result of this challenge.

Don’t mess with Tommy when he got a German steel barrel in his hands - steady 190+ cards with that Weihrauch - excellent shooting.

Glad that you like the tune - we’ll give some credit to HW100 Tuning in the UK for their advice regarding an optimal power (ft/lb) level. We went a sliver higher than their recommendation - which I believe helps the 18.13s.

Hoping you get to 200 with that rifle this year.

Reactions: tommyb
Don’t mess with Tommy when he got a German steel barrel in his hands - steady 190+ cards with that Weihrauch - excellent shooting.

Glad that you like the tune - we’ll give some credit to HW100 Tuning in the UK for their advice regarding an optimal power (ft/lb) level. We went a sliver higher than their recommendation - which I believe helps the 18.13s.

Hoping you get to 200 with that rifle this year.

Thanks Ed. UK Tuning was correct.

I’ve had previous conversations with my other AGN buddy, Ed ( ELH); who also was the original owner of my HW100 .22; about the intended design point of the Carbine. Ed felt strongly that the European market likes the lower power of the Weihrauch, and that the rifle was originally intended to be oriented towards lower power vs.the U.S. market place and our thirst for higher power PCPs.

As it turns out, he is correct - It shoots much better at the current 117 BAR reg setting and lower velocities that you tested here.

Hi Guys!
I have been busy trying to sort out my FX King with the 500mm .22 barrel. I have had a time trying to get it to shoot the 18.1 gr pellets accurately. It can send so much air so fast that it wants to overpower the pellets. I pulled the 12g hammer weight (w/ 4mm head) and put in the 10g weight (w/ 1mm head). That was better. Good speed (880 fps) but valve dwell was too long and blew too much air after the pellet left the barrel. Installed the Ernest Rowe designed modified pellet probe (Bullet Central - smaller port size and 5mm longer to better seat pellet). Had to do some work on it as the shaft on the probe was too big for the hole in the carrier. This was much better, but still need to find best velocity to cut down on flyers.
Here is a 192-8x 30 yd Challenge on my first try.
While I had targets up shot a 2024 high for 30 yd Challenge with my Green Mt. Crown in .177. - 196-13x
And just for kicks used the Nordic Wolf Crown with 500mm .22 barrel to 195-13x 40 yd Challenge. One point short of my best but used my first airgun scope - Element Helix 6-4x50 FFP.
- I am thinking I am going to pull that rifle off the classifieds. Shoots soooo good!!
30 yd Challenge - King  3-13-24.jpg
30 yd Challenge -GM Crown 3-13-24.jpg
40 yd Challenge NW Crown 3-13-24.jpg

Hi Guys!
I have been busy trying to sort out my FX King with the 500mm .22 barrel. I have had a time trying to get it to shoot the 18.1 gr pellets accurately. It can send so much air so fast that it wants to overpower the pellets. I pulled the 12g hammer weight (w/ 4mm head) and put in the 10g weight (w/ 1mm head). That was better. Good speed (880 fps) but valve dwell was too long and blew too much air after the pellet left the barrel. Installed the Ernest Rowe designed modified pellet probe (Bullet Central - smaller port size and 5mm longer to better seat pellet). Had to do some work on it as the shaft on the probe was too big for the hole in the carrier. This was much better, but still need to find best velocity to cut down on flyers.
While I had targets up shot a 2024 high for 30 yd Challenge with my Green Mt. Crown in .177. - 196-13x
And just for kicks used the Nordic Wolf Crown with 500mm .22 barrel to 195-13x 40 yd Challenge. One point short of my best but used my first airgun scope - Element Helix 6-4x50 FFP.
- I am thinking I am going to pull that rifle off the classifieds. Shoots soooo good!!
View attachment 445881View attachment 445882View attachment 445883

Greg

I wish I was in a position to buy your Crown!

I feel like I could shoot higher scores with your well tuned rifle.

But…. I must like the pain.

Reactions: NAProf
Hi Guys!
View attachment 445881View attachment 445882View attachment 445883

Great shooting Greg!

I should buy your Crown (before you come to your senses) and put one of my .25 barrels on it. Its a shooter.

Very few rifles have been able to put up 195+ scores at 40 yards.

My concern with the FX King is its using the new Dynamic block - designed as a slug rifle. You are going through quite a process of tuning it down to shoot pellets… may not ever do pellets as well as the Crown…

-Ed

Great shooting Greg!

I should buy your Crown (before you come to your senses) and put one of my .25 barrels on it. Its a shooter.

Very few rifles have been able to put up 195+ scores at 40 yards.

My concern with the FX King is its using the new Dynamic block - designed as a slug rifle. You are going through quite a process of tuning it down to shoot pellets… may not ever do pellets as well as the Crown…

-Ed
Ed,
You hit the nail on the head! I am really doing this as an experiment. II think there are lots of good things about the Dynamic block. The variable plenum size, the stiffer barrel, the valving, and the reconfigurability. I would like to get it to shoot light pellets without having to go to the Sub12 type configuration. But that may be where it takes me. I will also try heavier pellets - like the JSB Monsters in all its variations. It may end up being the .177 slug rifle I tried to turn my Maverick into without success. But at the end of the day it will have to go a long way to beat the Crowns for pellets
Cheers,
Greg

Tommyb probably knows more about scopes than I do but I like 6-24 SFP scopes for combined target shooting/backyard squirrels. I like to drop the power to 6X so I can find squirrels quickly. I've shot a 196 with my new Vector Veyron 6-24 and a 197 with my Arken EPL-4 6-24 so far this year. The Arken is a FFP with a fine reticle so it is not usable at 6X, 8X is the minimum and 10X is more clearly visible. But it is a nicer scope. But the Veyron is surprisingly clear. I also use a Athlon Talos 6-24 on my P35-177 and it works fine for 30 yard challenge targets. But while the 6-24s work and my score doesn't seem to suffer I can see the target a bit better with my Vector 8-32X. It is a low end scope but not too bad. They also offer a 10-40 with a dot reticle. But a decent 6-24 works pretty well for me at 30 yards.

Tommyb probably knows more about scopes than I do but I like 6-24 SFP scopes for combined target shooting/backyard squirrels. I like to drop the power to 6X so I can find squirrels quickly. I've shot a 196 with my new Vector Veyron 6-24 and a 197 with my Arken EPL-4 6-24 so far this year. The Arken is a FFP with a fine reticle so it is not usable at 6X, 8X is the minimum and 10X is more clearly visible. But it is a nicer scope. But the Veyron is surprisingly clear. I also use a Athlon Talos 6-24 on my P35-177 and it works fine for 30 yard challenge targets. But while the 6-24s work and my score doesn't seem to suffer I can see the target a bit better with my Vector 8-32X. It is a low end scope but not too bad. They also offer a 10-40 with a dot reticle. But a decent 6-24 works pretty well for me at 30 yards.

Jim

You are on the right track for the direction I am heading.

There was a phase I went through a number of years ago, where almost every new scope I bought was an Athlon FFP scope, which all have reticles that are too thick at 24x mag. I have two Sightron fixed 2FPs ( 36x and 45x ) which are perfect for 30y and 40y challenge shooting, and yet too much magnification for backyard plinking or pesting. The Leupold 6-5x20-40mm EFR 2FP has a crosshair type of reticle, but boy is it bright and crystal clear.

I need to look at 8x32 or 10x40 2FP options.

Thanks for the info.
Tom

Soo close… and yet so far..

Shot the 198 30-Masters on Thursday - rushed through the card in about 10 minutes as I was taking my girl out for dinner… but shooting conditions good so I squeezed in a card.

Shot a couple low 190s with the Prophet .177 since, as conditions have been windy.

Tonight I shot this 199 17X 30-Masters. I waited out the wind and took 30-40 minutes to shoot this card.

A bit disappointed that one shot went too high and scored the 9… I’ve never shot a 200 Masters at either 30 or 40 yards. I’ve had a few 199s. This was likely my best “windy conditions” card at 30 yards.

Tomorrow I have to swap the .177 out of this rifle and swap in a .25 LR barrel - got to start practicing for NAC. Will also try .30 caliber at some point. I’ll miss .177 in the Prophet, but I’m leaving .177 with a leaderboard submission.

Submitting the 199 17X for the 30-Masters board.

Now its time to watch college hoops - my alma mater UConn Huskies in the Big East championship game!! Go Huskies!!!

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4173.jpeg

Jim

You are on the right track for the direction I am heading.

There was a phase I went through a number of years ago, where almost every new scope I bought was an Athlon FFP scope, which all have reticles that are too thick at 24x mag. I have two Sightron fixed 2FPs ( 36x and 45x ) which are perfect for 30y and 40y challenge shooting, and yet too much magnification for backyard plinking or pesting. The Leupold 6-5x20-40mm EFR 2FP has a crosshair type of reticle, but boy is it bright and crystal clear.

I need to look at 8x32 or 10x40 2FP options.

Thanks for the info.
Tom
I was just looking at a 10-40x56 Athlon. I think Camera Land had it for less than $400. 2FP. Reticle is probably better for target shooting, however. I prefer 6X for pesting but I have shot a few at 8-10X, it just sometimes takes a second or so more time to find the target. I don't think it has illuminated reticle, that is handy on my Arken at lower power when the reticle is disappearing. Maybe it doesn't need it.

Went to range this morning, but was 'almost' a waste of time because of wind. I wanted to shoot some 30Y Masters Cards, but too breezy.

I decided to test the new FX Atomic (Hades) 15.89 pellets I just ordered from PYA. My POA for all groups was the "X' dot in the center of each bull. I did not hold for wind on any group. The FX Atomic pellets grouped very well despite the wind, so on a light wind day, I think these will be better.

HW100 .22
Distance: 30 Yards
Scope: Sightron
Conditions: Windy, 4-8mph
Pellets: Rangemaster 18.1 and FX Atomic 15.89

I do also want to try these in the FX Royale and Revere .22 calibers at some point. Got 5 tins, 1 FREE from PYA.

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
Regarding sighters, it's not a problem. Just put a couple of small circles somewhere on the target backing, off the actual target paper. Or, a small piece of paper with aiming points, attached to one of the target staples, but off the target itself.
i use a second target as a sighter right next to the score target so it looks like an open book .

i use a second target as a sighter right next to the score target so it looks like an open book .

Beer - Anything shot with a break barrel at 30Y will be a joy, and more challenging than PCPs for this target challenge. The HW97 is a nice gun, from all that I have read.

If you get a ‘200’ I’ll have to take out my Diana .22 break barrel. 😉

Reactions: beerthief
Beer - Anything shot with a break barrel at 30Y will be a joy, and more challenging than PCPs for this target challenge. The HW97 is a nice gun, from all that I have read.

If you get a ‘200’ I’ll have to take out my Diana .22 break barrel. 😉
it is a deal , start practicing , it is most comical at first .

Hi Guys,
Continued the tuning of the FX King yesterday. A little breezy so I only shot at 30 yds. I am using the 30yd Challenge as my measure of accuracy in doing the final adjustments on this tune. Once I feel I am close there I will switch to 40 yds. Once good there I will do 50 yds (probably the IBS 50 yd targets - very similar to the 30yd challenge but with a bigger 10 ring).
For the board I submit this card. A 192-14x shot at 877 fps. Same point score as the last one, but with 6 mor X's.
Cheers,
Greg
30yd Challenge with King 3-20-24.jpg