30-Yard Challenge

Thanks Greg. Congratulations on your 30-Masters - nice card!

I’m definitely improving. I’m more trusting of my wind reads. I find myself shooting more shots during wind that I have “read” rather than trying to wait it out between shots - only way to get better in wind is to shoot in wind, lol.

I’m really interested in your FX King tuning. The Dynamic platform is definitely FX’s “platform of the future”, so I’m very interested in how well you get it shooting pellets. My initial concern with the platform is that it was definitely designed with slug shooting as primary ammo - and I’m a pellet only shooter.

Are you planning on installing a pellet liner in your King - or was it a 500mm that comes with a pellet liner from factory?

-Ed

Thanks Greg. Congratulations on your 30-Masters - nice card!

I’m definitely improving. I’m more trusting of my wind reads. I find myself shooting more shots during wind that I have “read” rather than trying to wait it out between shots - only way to get better in wind is to shoot in wind, lol.

I’m really interested in your FX King tuning. The Dynamic platform is definitely FX’s “platform of the future”, so I’m very interested in how well you get it shooting pellets. My initial concern with the platform is that it was definitely designed with slug shooting as primary ammo - and I’m a pellet only shooter.

Are you planning on installing a pellet liner in your King - or was it a 500mm that comes with a pellet liner from factory?

-Ed
I got the King with a 500mm barrel. The only way that happened is my source also has a Panthera with a 500mm barrel that he was willing to swap for the 600 that came on the King for. The 500mm barrel has the smaller 110mm plenum (plenty for what I am looking for) and a longer shroud than the 600mm. So that makes it less bulky, not quite as powerful, and a bunch quieter than the 600 - all checks for me. The liner is the 1:24 twist standard liner I have on my .22 Crown and had on my .22 Maverick.

I was zeroing in on a good tune yesterday but was aghast at the amount of air I was using. 50 bar for 20 shots! So I filled it up before turning in last night, dreaming about how to use less air by changing settings. Checked the King out this morning and it had lost almost all the air. Did a leak check and found the valve housing as blowing air like crazy. Pulled it apart (thanks Sub12Airgunners), checked the o-ring, cleaned up the surfaces and put it back together. Soapy waters says I fixed it, but letting it sit for a while to check it out.

Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: RCope
Vulcan #2 in 177 caliber , 35 yards 65degrees slight wind 5 mph off and on from side, 10.34 JSB 900 FPS , Number one was my sight in target, My 1st shooting station is at 35 yards can't move table or target back stop is the reason for the 35 yards, Scope is a Athlon Helos Gen 2 6x24x56 FFP, 1st try at the targets and Vulcan has not been shot in seven weeks , Its on rotation with my other guns one a week. I think I covered all the bases, Didn't add score up as just not sure ,, I will reread directions,
Mike
IMG_2056.JPG

Vulcan #2 in 177 caliber , 35 yards 65degrees slight wind 5 mph off and on from side, 10.34 JSB 900 FPS , Number one was my sight in target, My 1st shooting station is at 35 yards can't move table or target back stop is the reason for the 35 yards, Scope is a Athlon Helos Gen 2 6x24x56 FFP, 1st try at the targets and Vulcan has not been shot in seven weeks , Its on rotation with my other guns one a week. I think I covered all the bases, Didn't add score up as just not sure ,, I will reread directions,
Mike
View attachment 442846

Mike - very nice shooting. If you scroll back a couple/few pages, there is a link so you can order the .224” scoring plug with magnifier. You use this to score your card.

You get two mulligans to throw away ( ie., ‘two pairs’ ) on the 30 y target. You might have a ‘200’ but can’t tell for sure without scoring it myself.

Tom

Mike
View attachment 442846

Awesome shooting Mike!

We don’t have a 35 Yard category, just 30 and 40…

… however, by eye it appears you shot about 198 with .177 at 35 Yards, which is outstanding.

Assuming Target pairs #1 and #5 are your throw aways…

… 9a and 10b could be 9s - scoring plug needed to determine.

Once you score your cards, we can add to 30 Yard leaderboard, even though you are shooting at 35 yards.

-Ed

Ed, please replace my previous 40yd Master Class submission with this one,

Wind conditions were mild ranging from nearly calm to possibly 3 or 4 mph between 9 to 1 o'clock. Biggest issue was waiting for all three wind-flags to point in the same general direction before each shot.

View attachment 443198

Congratulations Marvin, that’s the highest 40-Masters card submission to date!

Damn, you beat my multiple 197s and my 198 40-Masters with the FX Crown…

… only thing that can top that 199 is a 200 40-Masters…. I hope that I get some still conditions this weekend, lol.

-Ed

Reactions: tommyb
Conditions were too good this afternoon to not shoot at least one target. About 70 degrees and very little wind. Somewhat overcast but still enough light. I used my most accurate PCP, my P35-22. I bought a Vector Veyron 6-24X SFP and had it on this rifle. This is a compact, light scope and Krales sells it for less than $200. Fits my compact light P35 very well. This is it's 4th or 5th target and is a 196 11X. I shot a 197 with my Arken EPL4 on this gun this year but a 196 isn't bad for me. This Veyron has a dot reticle like my Arken and I'm still adjusting to it to some degree. The dot is as large as the 10 ring so I'm debating clinking the scope up a click or two and aiming at the bottom edge of the 10 ring - so I can see it. Curious what others do with a dot reticle. I don't think aiming error is affecting my score much if at all but I do find it a little easier to do my best with my 32X Vector which happens to have a crosshair reticle. I think it is more additional magnification than the reticle. But I'm happy with this 196. I took no sighters either. Just starting shooting the target.

196 with Veyron.jpg

Reactions: EPG
Beautiful day here in NC, so went to the range and shot a bunch of challenge cards.

I shot two 40 yard cards and I will submit one 40Y Masters card for the next leaderboard. Edged out a prior card shot with my Royale .22 with JSB 18.1 pellets. 188-7X. Had four 8's that killed a potentially 190+ card. My guns seem to like '8's. :cry:

Shot 5 30Y Masters cards, all were in the 190's with the Rangemaster Sovereign 15.89 pellet. I think I found a new pellet for the Revere .22. First time in a long time, I decided to put two flags out, and boy did it help me. I usually just put a near flag out, but I know better and should be putting out two flags. I am starting to read the wind a bit better and had four Daystate Magazines loaded and ready, in case I had a good wind call. It paid off today. I shot some of these fast, only because I had a good wind read and wanted to shoot while the 10's and X's were coming. Lot more X's than I usually get, so between the Rangemaster pellets, the consistent velocity, two flags deployed --- this was the best day for the Revere in some time.

194-12X
194-12X
190-8X
195-13X ( will submit this one for next update ) I notated the very consistent shot string on this card.

190-8X - Royale

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

I was encouraged by my earlier target with my P35-22 and hadn't shot the P35-25 in awhile so I shot a target with it. I am submitting this for the leader board, I think it is a couple Xs better than my previous best with this gun 194 with 13Xs. The wind was low but I seemed to need to shift my point of aim during the target - which I didn't do with the 22. I took no sighters on this one either, should have, the first two shots were a bit right. I aimed off for all the remaining shots and adjusted elevation at times too. These pellets were sorted for consistent weight. JSB MK11 at about 800 fps. P35-25 with Vector Sentinel 8-32 set at 32X. Really thumps the pellet trap. I scored with my pellet on a stick.

P25-24 194 13X.jpg

Reactions: EPG and tommyb
I was encouraged by my earlier target with my P35-22 and hadn't shot the P35-25 in awhile so I shot a target with it. I am submitting this for the leader board, I think it is a couple Xs better than my previous best with this gun 194 with 13Xs. The wind was low but I seemed to need to shift my point of aim during the target - which I didn't do with the 22. I took no sighters on this one either, should have, the first two shots were a bit right. I aimed off for all the remaining shots and adjusted elevation at times too. These pellets were sorted for consistent weight. JSB MK11 at about 800 fps. P35-25 with Vector Sentinel 8-32 set at 32X. Really thumps the pellet trap. I scored with my pellet on a stick.

View attachment 443446

Excellent!

Leaderboard Update - March 7, 2024

Shooters,
Below are our Leaderboards – with submissions through and including March 7th (today).

Notable:

Congrats to mreynolds on his 199 12X 40-Masters. This is the highest 40-Masters score ever submitted !

Congrats to NAProf on multiple submissions, including a 198 13X 30-Masters with his .177 Crown.

Congrats to JimD on his 197 13X with his P-35 .22.

Congrats to tommyb on multiple submissions, including matching 195 13Xs with his Revere for 30-Masters and 30-Challenge.

Congrats to EPG on multiple submissions, including 198 13X with his Regal trying 18.13s in it for the 1sttime.

Welcome airgunmike56 who showed an awesome looking card at 35 yards with his .177 Vulcan. Grab a scoring plug and get that Vulcan high up on the leaderboard Mike.

Welcome RCope who showed some great looking cards with his Air Arms S510XS – Grab a scoring plug and make some submissions.

Hey Greg (NAProf) – I posted your dog interrupted 40-Masters with the Crown – no way you could have shot that great of a card and missed by about two inches with one shot - without a little help from a dog, lol.

Lots of great scores submitted, not too many 200s yet in 2024, but the year is “young”. Also, a lot of our deadeye shooters seem to be focusing on 40 yards these days – which makes 200 even tougher !

Now quit admiring yourselves on these Leaderboards… and GET SOME LEAD DOWNRANGE !!

(JimD - I’ll get your late day submission in the next Leaderboard Update).

-Ed

AGN 30-C Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN 30-M Leaderboard.jpeg
AGN 40-C Leaderboard.jpeg
AGN 40-M Leaderboard.jpeg

HoA.jpeg

Reactions: JimD and NAProf
Hi TYC Shooters,

I thought I’d share some data and results on an “experiment” I conducted today.

My .22 Daystate Regal is unregulated (I do have a reg I can install).

I’ve been trying 18.13s in her for the past 3 cards – prior I always used 15.89.

The 18.13s shoot real well. Today I experimented with how many “accurate” shots I could get at 30 yards on a single fill to 250 bar on her gauge.

It was breezy and 50 degrees F. I can get more shots from her when the temps are warmer, but 50F is a “reasonable” temp.

I shot 4 sighters and two Thirty-Challenge cards – total of 53 shots. Both cards were 190+. I had zero “7s” – despite a total velocity spread of 53fps across the two cards.

I used FX radar chronograph. I started to hold slightly lower when velocity was rising on Card #1, and held slightly higher when velocity was falling on Card #2. I never had to hold as high as the 9-ring, always held below it.

Scope is a modest Arken EPL-4 6x24 @24X.

There were some “wonky” shots on the last three target pairs on Card #2 (shots 48 to 53) – likely due to velocity dropoff. However, I was able to shoot a 20XX with shots 46 and 47 – 820 and 817fps.

It definitely makes me think about the need to have a 10fps or less “extreme spread”. The Regal has a very small air tube. I have other unregulated rifles with larger air tubes that provide a lot more shots within a tight velocity spread – so the Regal is a challenge to try to get 2 30-Challenge cards on a single fill. I can do it when the temps are 75F and warmer.

However, these two 190 cards across 53 total shots with a velocity spread of 53fps at 50F temp seem to indicate it’s the “tune” of the rifle, rather than velocity that has a larger effect on accuracy at 30 yards.

In short, perhaps a rifle tuned so that there is no “waste air” coming out of the barrel to destabilize the pellet is what we are seeking, rather than tuning to a specific velocity…?

-Ed

Regal Shot String 3-8-24 18g.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

Reactions: NAProf
Hi Ed,
Good job on the "research project"!

"In short, perhaps a rifle tuned so that there is no “waste air” coming out of the barrel to destabilize the pellet is what we are seeking, rather than tuning to a specific velocity…?"

My limited experience tuning air rifles moves me in that direction. I have always thought one of the best things about the FX Impacts was the ability to adjust the valve return spring. That is essentially a control on "valve dwell time" which is the key to a good tune.

Cheers,
Greg

I've tested accuracy versus velocity in my rifles several times and have yet to see a significant effect. If they like a pellet they like it at low velocity and at higher velocity. If they do not like it they don't like it regardless of velocity. But some tunes definitely shoot better than others. I think the first goal is to find the pellet then the second is to find the tune.

Nice shooting with your unregulated huntsman, Ed. Like higher fpe, I think we tend to overemphasize low ES and SD. The huntsman is a upper 20s to low 30s fpe gun if I remember right which is also a nice power range for a 22. Plenty for small game or targets at reasonable ranges.

A couple more cards from a few days ago. Waited until today to score since I got this fancy scoring plug. It definitely makes it easier to score accurately. Now I just have wait for less windy days...
View attachment 445112View attachment 445113

Awesome shooting - you now have your Air Arms up on the leaderboard with the 191 9X.

And I see you shot 191 despite getting burned by a bad pellet on Target Pair #5…

Wait till you have a 200 going into #11 and #12…. then you get very suspicious about those last few pellets you load, lol.

-Ed

Reactions: RCope