• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Hi Again,
Kind of a cold windy day so I practice Field Target instead of shooting TYC cards. That was until about 4:30pm. I noticed the wind had died down and there was still some sun on my range. So, I quickly got out the Nordic Wolf Crown and shot a 40 yd Masters Card (actually a card that says 30yd Masters shot at 40 yards). Started out great, 2 x's, 2 10's and a 9 in the first five shots. As I was bringing the crosshairs on to the new target, finger on the trigger, my dog jumped up from his spot next to me and went after a rabbit - hitting me on the way by. So the shot between set 3 and 4 is that. Now I knew this wouldn't count for real, so the pressure was off and I just shot the rest of the target. Without pressure got 6 X's in the next 8, then had to reload my magazine. Duah! (in my best Homer Simpson). Should have put in the single shot loader to finish. Oh well, I think this just indicated what that rifle is ready to do. I will try again when tomorrow, maybe I will get so light winds.
Cheers,
Greg
View attachment 439394

Nice card Greg.

I shot just one card today - a 40-Masters with my Crown Mk2 using 500mm barrel and 18.13s…

I shot 192 7X.

So, I beat ya for score today, but you beat me on Xs…

Tomorrow is 50 degrees and less windy - I’ll be shootin my Crown at 40, lol… lets go!

Reactions: NAProf
Pretty nice day today. Just little gusty puffs of wind from my 10 o'clock. My Crown Field Target rig (Hunter Class) shot so well in practice yesterday I decided to shoot some TYC cards today. Shot 1 30 yard Masters and 1 40 yd Challenge. The 30 yd card provided my best in .177 for that category to date - 195-13X. The 40 yd card was a bit more problematic. Had 9x's and two 10's, but the 6, 7, and two 8's did me in. The 13.4 gr pellets need just a slight puff to occasionally start to spiral. So a 190-9X is below my best with that rifle to date.
Probably shoot the .22 Crown tomorrow to try to match Ed's latest great card :D.
Cheers,
Greg
PS- Scored with the .177 pin - and I did recheck the 9 in the 10th group.

30 yd Masters with GM 500 2-26-24.jpg

Pretty nice day today. Just little gusty puffs of wind from my 10 o'clock. My Crown Field Target rig (Hunter Class) shot so well in practice yesterday I decided to shoot some TYC cards today. Shot 1 30 yard Masters and 1 40 yd Challenge. The 30 yd card provided my best in .177 for that category to date - 195-13X. The 40 yd card was a bit more problematic. Had 9x's and two 10's, but the 6, 7, and two 8's did me in. The 13.4 gr pellets need just a slight puff to occasionally start to spiral. So a 190-9X is below my best with that rifle to date.
Probably shoot the .22 Crown tomorrow to try to match Ed's latest great card :D.
Cheers,
Greg
PS- Scored with the .177 pin - and I did recheck the 9 in the 10th group.

View attachment 439737

“177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.”

FWIW - The pics that we post here with our iPhones don’t accurately reflect how close the pellet hole is to the ring line. So, if you are actually looking at the pellet hole with the naked eye, the hole is actually closer than the picture captures the shot. Thus, the need for the .224 scoring plug.

Those Crowns are very good rifles for this challenge.

“177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.”

FWIW - The pics that we post here with our iPhones don’t accurately reflect how close the pellet hole is to the ring line. So, if you are actually looking at the pellet hole with the naked eye, the hole is actually closer than the picture captures the shot. Thus, the need for the .224 scoring plug.

Those Crowns are very good rifles for this challenge.
Tom,
That is certainly worth reminding folks about scoring. The .177 pin I am using is the one Tom Carlson recommended which has a .178 pin diameter, but a .224 scoring head with a magnifier above it.
Cheers,
Greg

This is not the best target I've shot with this rifle, my P35-22, but I thought you might find the associated saga interesting. I pulled my P35-22 out after shooting a 194 with my P35-25. I was interested in how well I was shooting to give me an idea how much I might be able to increase the P35-25. I've shot one 200 with the 22 and several upper 190s. But I shot a 188, 187, a couple more in the 180s and then one yesterday at 179. Not good at all for that gun. So I looked at velocity and saw it was 5% low. Some is undoubtedly due to temperature and some may be due to scratches in the tube the hammer is in from a grub screw incident last year. But the lower velocity was not the issue. I increased the hammer spring force and got back a little less than half the velocity deficient but I ran out of hammer spring adjustability. That did not help, a couple of the targets in the string of 180s was with the higher hammer spring setting. As I walked past the rifle last night I thought of checking the scope mount. One of the screws, the one closest to the muzzle, was a little loose so I tightened it. Then I sat down and shot this 197 13X this morning (after checking zero, it was a few clicks off). So the loose scope mount was the source of inaccuracy. I wish I'd checked it earlier. But I'm glad the gun is OK. I think this is also the best target I've shot with my Arken 6-24X. I think it's good enough for me to shoot another 200. I got a little lazy in the second half of the target or this might have been one.

P25-22 197 13X.jpg

Great card JimD !

It was 56F here (about 15 degrees warmer than it’s been), so I got out in the warm weather to shoot.

I shot 30-Challenge cards with Prophet .177:
197 10X
194 10X
196 12X

The 197 is a leaderboard submission as its my high 30-Challenge card with .177 RTI Prophet this year - I’ve had multiple 196s with more Xs. At least it ties my 197 30-Masters card with .177 Prophet this year.

I shot a 192 7X 40-Masters card just before dusk with Power Pup - not a leaderboard submission, but solid with Pup.

I also shot a 198 16X today with a friend’s rifle that I’m tuning/fixing. Not sure if you guys will allow a submission if shot with a rifle that’s not mine…

-Ed

IMG_4028.jpeg

This is not the best target I've shot with this rifle, my P35-22, but I thought you might find the associated saga interesting. I pulled my P35-22 out after shooting a 194 with my P35-25. I was interested in how well I was shooting to give me an idea how much I might be able to increase the P35-25. I've shot one 200 with the 22 and several upper 190s. But I shot a 188, 187, a couple more in the 180s and then one yesterday at 179. Not good at all for that gun. So I looked at velocity and saw it was 5% low. Some is undoubtedly due to temperature and some may be due to scratches in the tube the hammer is in from a grub screw incident last year. But the lower velocity was not the issue. I increased the hammer spring force and got back a little less than half the velocity deficient but I ran out of hammer spring adjustability. That did not help, a couple of the targets in the string of 180s was with the higher hammer spring setting. As I walked past the rifle last night I thought of checking the scope mount. One of the screws, the one closest to the muzzle, was a little loose so I tightened it. Then I sat down and shot this 197 13X this morning (after checking zero, it was a few clicks off). So the loose scope mount was the source of inaccuracy. I wish I'd checked it earlier. But I'm glad the gun is OK. I think this is also the best target I've shot with my Arken 6-24X. I think it's good enough for me to shoot another 200. I got a little lazy in the second half of the target or this might have been one.

View attachment 440152

Good card Jim.

Re. Loose scope front ring - This same issue bit me a couple of times also. Good reminder for me to do a quick check b4 I begin my shooting session. Tx

View attachment 440152
nice shooting , would score better if paper target was spray glued to a backer . Still nice shooting !

They are not hard to score but I need to change the cardboard more often. It gets pretty beat up. But it still guides the scoring pin almost all the time. The tear in the paper you can see is sometimes mis-leading, however. Never tried gluing it, seems like a big hassle. What happens if the glue doesn't easily let go? I don't think the single shots for a scoring target chew up the cardboard backer nearly as bad as the 3 or 5 shot groups I use to get sighted in.

The 30 yard challenge is the best way I know of to improve your bench shooting skills. When I started a couple years ago a target in the 180s was a good one. Even with my P35-22. I still have room for improvement but I can normally shoot 195 or better with that gun fairly consistently. I'd like to shoot 200 consistently but I don't know if I'll ever be there. But even at my current skill level I have a lot more confidence what a 5 shot group or two tells me about a new pellet or tune. My "bad shots" are not as bad nor are they as frequent.

Ed and Greg - You two are putting up some truly remarkable 40y target scores.

I am finding that unless there is virtually a ‘no wind’ day, I’m going to just focus on 30Y targets and save some pellets vs. shooting at 40y in any wind greater than 2-3 mph. I know it’s the wind which is killing me, or my ability to correctly shoot a good wind call consistently. The reason I know this is; because my best 40y scores were with little wind.

Once I get a zero wind day, ( or very light breeze), I’ll try again at 40y.

The 30 yard challenge is the best way I know of to improve your bench shooting skills. When I started a couple years ago a target in the 180s was a good one. Even with my P35-22. I still have room for improvement but I can normally shoot 195 or better with that gun fairly consistently. I'd like to shoot 200 consistently but I don't know if I'll ever be there. But even at my current skill level I have a lot more confidence what a 5 shot group or two tells me about a new pellet or tune. My "bad shots" are not as bad nor are they as frequent.
Jim,
One of the main reasons I measure and plot the POI's of some of my targets is to get a feel for how shooting 24 different bulls in succession compares to a group shoot. You just don't realize how good a group a 194-13x is unless you have some way to group all those shots on one target. For example:
194-13x 30 yd Masters.png
That is a 194-13x shot for a 30 yd Masters. All 20 shots are under a dime! The scales are in mm. So a Dime is roughly 18 mm so the max CTC on this target is between 12 and 13 mm or 1/2 inch. That is 1.6 MOA for 30 yds.

The next one is a 200-17x on the 30yd Challenge. Note that all the shots are represented by .224 in circles which is the size of the scoring head on the scoring pins we use.
200-17x 30 yd Challenge.png
That is again 20 shots with a max CTC of .27 inches for an 0.85 MOA. The best part about doing this is that you know for sure where each pellet went and your not just saying "one ragged hole". Shooting these targets has allowed me to concentrate on technique, breathing, trigger pull, and follow through. It has helped my Field Target shooting as well.

I have posted some of these before, mainly when I was getting frustrated with my "low" scores (like 190's). I did it to remind folks that even with a "low" score all 20 of my shots would have hit the smallest "Kill Zone" allowed on a 30-yard target in an FT match.

Cheers,
Greg