30-Yard Challenge

Looking forward to trying this challenge soon. 30 yards is no joke, so I'll probably use the same target and work my way up...
I use the same target several times , just magic mark the used shots and shoot again .
Getting tired of shooting groups? Try this game out. You shoot all 24 bulls once at 30 yards. Next, eliminate your two lowest pairs. Then, add up your score, with a Max of 200. My best target using my Vet Long is below, as is the target I used. It would be a really great shooter who could get a 200. The 10 ring is 3.28mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly. Post up your best score and what gun you used!

View attachment 206886

Here are the scoring rules:

If the hole touches the next higher ring, score to the higher ring. Use a pellet, skirt down, if the hole is ragged.

To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring surrounding the black dot.

To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot in the center. (This is different than the instructions on the bottom of the target, due to us shooting at 30-yards)

.177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.

Once you shoot all 24 bulls, you get to eliminate your lowest two sets (mulligans) see the target above how I slashed out my two lowest pairs.

Score the remaining 20 targets for a Max score of 200. Also add your X's if you have any.

So a perfect score would be 200 20X. Please post up your scores and what rifle you are shooting. Have fun!!

download.png
View attachment 206891
How many are trying this Challenge with a springer ? i have shot 4 times but still no publishable results 😎😉

Reactions: RCope
I use the same target several times , just magic mark the used shots and shoot again .

How many are trying this Challenge with a springer ? i have shot 4 times but still no publishable results 😎😉
I've tried it with all 3 of my springers...180 was the best I could get. .177 AA TX200. The rest I didn't even bother to score.

Had some time today with my AA 510, a bit windy and one flyer from hell, and not my best but here is one of the two cards:
IMG_5422.jpg

Headshots, you need to score that one up. I think it's over 190. I counted 10 blocks that seem like they are 19 or 20 for the two shots. If you do not have a scoring plug you could do what I do for my 25s, I just use a pellet that I epoxied a large toothpick to. It isn't ideal but I can't fine a 25 scoring plug. They are readily available and inexpensive for 22 (and 177 but we use a 22 for 177s).

Headshots, you need to score that one up. I think it's over 190. I counted 10 blocks that seem like they are 19 or 20 for the two shots. If you do not have a scoring plug you could do what I do for my 25s, I just use a pellet that I epoxied a large toothpick to. It isn't ideal but I can't fine a 25 scoring plug. They are readily available and inexpensive for 22 (and 177 but we use a 22 for 177s).

It ended up being a 197 . I used a .22 pellet on the questionable ones.

20240422_084737.jpg

Reactions: JimD and NAProf
A 197 is the best I've done so far this year! Really good.

For those of you starting, I would also add that most of my scores the first year were in the 180s and some were in the 170s or worse. It took me a good year to start getting fairly routine 190 or better scores. I still shoot some in the 180s. And that is in my best guns. I've shot one 200 and there was definitely some luck involved (but I shot three 199s first). The advantage I see from all the pellets I've expended at this is I am pretty confident in using one or at most two 5 shot groups to screen pellets for a new gun. My shooting is much more consistent, in other words. I do not think I will ever shoot 200s consistently but I shoot a lot more often over 190 than I did at first. The big issue I have is not stringing together 4 or 5 or 6 10s, it is stringing together 20. And if the wind kicks up a little...

To those shooting springers and less expensive guns (like most of mine) I think we all understand you have a bigger challenge. One of my 5 less expensive PCPs gave me my one 200 but the best the others have done is a 194. I am terrible with a springer. I don't own one but set one up for my son and couldn't shoot a respectable group.

I think this game works best when we look for little improvements and not compare ourselves to others who have been doing it a lot longer and are possibly less limited by their equipment. But I also have experience suggesting that even under $500 PCPs can compete - but I don't think all are at that level, at least mine are not. But a major re-tune took my P35-25 from a 177 to a 194.