.30 Vulcan 2 INSANE ES!

Recently bought a used .30 Vulcan 2 from AGN classifieds (thanks Larry)! So yesterday, I was going to change out the small AGT gage for a Wika, and removed the HST and spring in order to degas the gun. Well, the degas tool from my .25 Vulcan Tactic gen4 isn't the same size... So, I put the gun back together, and took it outside to re-set the HST for the proper pellet speed. First couple of shots were over 860 FPS with JSB 50.1 pellets. Turn clockwise, no increase. Must be at the plateau. So back off a turn. 857 FPS. Good, now another turn, 843 FPS. OK, tweak up about 1/4 turn and settle at 850 FPS for a couple shots...

OK, hey, while I'm here, might as well shoot a string or two, find out how many shots per fill and what pressure it comes off the reg. Each mag is 9 shots, and AGT advertises about 18 to 20 shots per fill at 76 to 77 FPE. I'm at about 81 FPE, so I don't expect to even get that much, but thats OK, its a hunting gun. Load up two mags, fill to 250 bar, run 2 mags over the chrony. High 853, low 850, ES of 3. Hmmm, fluke? Load up two mags again, fill to 250 bar, shoot over the chrony. High 853, low 850, ES of 3! DAMN!!! Can't get any better than that. Pellets straight from the tin. No sorting, no weighing, didn't even inspect as I loaded the mags. FYI, 19th shot 847, 20th shot 842... So it comes off the reg right after 18 shots, and that was at about 160-ish bar.

I always thought my .22 Cricket mini Carbine had an amazing ES, since I normally got between 6 and 7 FPS for a 40 shot string, but this takes the cake. 36 shots, ES of 3! Huh? What?#@$ Are you kidding??? I read in the literature for the Vulcan 2 that they "improved" the regulator. Well, I can tell you, improvement successful! Put a Huma in this gun? Ha! You gotta be kidding... I only say that because almost all of my guns eventually got the Huma treatment. ;)

1556900436_999517125ccc6a54bf6f99.80230417_FAE33E90-6DDA-42BB-8ADD-828FCD632A9F.jpeg

It's not insane … and it's not a bird, nor plane, nor even frog … it's just little ole Vulcan 2 … the UNDERDOG! The Rodney Dangerfield of PCPs who gets no respect. Well that may be true of some but NOT ME! Brother, I'm here to tell ya that my Vulcan 2 is a freakin' jaw dropper in .25. I've kissed the stock on my Tactic so many times that the finish on it is starting to wear off. Haven't had to do a single thing to the gun except to replace a breech o-ring once and it knocks the snot out of a half inch circle at 70 yards as long as the pressure stays above what the regulator is set at. I love this gun, if she was human I'd marry her

I just picked up a used .30 V2 Tactic not even 2 weeks ago. Mine shoots the 45gr JSB's much better than the 50grs. The 45's do 870fps and I'm fine with that. Haven't run more than a few at a time over the chrony. but ES is tiny, but I am tethered. 20 shots between fills was getting on my nerves. I have a spare SCBA tank that I fill to 250bar just for tethering. Love the gun, not impressed with the plastic stock. Feels very 'gamo-ish'. Still, and I feel bad for my other guns, this hasn't left my bench for the past 10 days and I'm on my third tin of pellets. I guess that means I'm a big fan!! I've had a couple of Vulcans before, agree with the above comments, it's a much better gun than it gets credit for. 

Will take it out this weekend and check accuracy with 50.1 and 44.8 pellets. The way I have it set the 44.8 should be right at 885 FPS. I'm hoping the 50.1 are accurate since I have about ten tins of them that my .30 Bobcat doesn't like... ;(

All I can say about the 50's in mine is that at 75y they seemed to drift. Not talking about wind, prob my barrel and/or the speed the pellets were moving. Couple good shots, handful of stuff high/right/left. Oddly nothing went low. Also, might come down to BC, but the 50's were hitting high compared to the 45's at 75y without any power adjustments. It'll be a few weeks before my springtime chores on the property settle down so it'll be a while before I play with the hammer spring or (and I don't feel a need to yet..) the reg to see if I can get the 50's to perform as well.

@jcd, thank for the info. If they aren't as accurate at 100 yards as the 44.8s, then I'll just sell them since the .30 Bobcat doesn't like them either. In the Bobcat, at 50 yards, they are equivalent, but at 100 yards the 50.1s seem to wonder a bit like you describe, and are not as predictable in the wind as the 44.8s. I'll let you know how they fly at 850 FPS and 100 yards. I haven't hit a ground squirrel with a .30 cal. since last Fall. That sound is addicting, especially from a .30. To me, its very loud and sounds like a wooden baseball bat hitting a ripe watermelon... ;)

Maybe your chrony needs recalibrating.😁

Just kidding, of course. I have that same rifle. Tony, at Talon Tunes recommends filling the cylinder to 300 bar. 

I have also noticed that the JSB 44.75 grain pellets are more accurate than the JSB 50.15 grain at any distance. I've tested the rifle at distances of 20 yards, 50 yards, 75 yards and 100 yards. And the 44.75 grain pellets outperform the 50s.

@swami, yeah, next time I can get a great deal on that Vortex Razor HD LD 3-15x42 I'll buy one (or two). Absolutely the best scope I own, and that includes the Athlon Midas TAC I got not too long ago (used). Vortex offers a military/first responder discount of 40%, but even with that, the scope retails for $1,100, so about $650. When I got mine they were offering an additional 10% off, so it was around $550. Still the most $$$ I've spent on a scope, but its at least equivalent to the Nightforce SHV that everyone seems to have wood about, or the Sightron SIII line of scopes.

@2manyairgunz, I'll shoot both at 45 and 90 yards and confirm. I'm sure you're correct, since I haven't seen a gun yet where the 50.1 is more accurate than the 44.8 grain. I wish it did, since its got a much better BC and carries energy down range much better than the 44.8. If I shoot the 44.8 at 885 FPS, and the 50.1 at 850 FPS, the heavier pellet has 10 FPE more at 100 yards than the lighter pellet, even though it starts out 35 FPS slower.