• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.30 slug testing Delta Wolf

I'm finally getting slugs sorted out for my Delta Wolf. This is the .30 long barrel (27"?) and I've been shooting the Zan 56 gr pellets for a while with success. I decided to use this gun for NRL22 until I can get a better air gun for this application, so it's time to figure out slugs.

I assumed that the Zan 49 gr slugs would work as good as the pellets, so I bought some of those. I also decided to try the Patriot Javelin Gen 2 .301 in 52 grs. And I figured I would throw in a box of FX Hybrids in 44.5 grs just for giggles.

Initial testing at 50 yards, I started with a reg pressure of 120 bar using the same tune as the ZAN pellets. The Zan slugs came in pretty slow, so I bumped up the reg until I got to 150 bar with a fps of around 920. Accuracy wasn't very good at any speed from 850 to 920 fps, so I switched to the Javelins. 1 mag later, I thought about throwing this $20 tube of junk away but I just put it back in the bag. So now I'm convinced that this gun doesn't like slugs, but I threw in a mag of the FX Hybrids to see how bad they could be. Huh. Decent little group at about 930 fps. Then I shot some of the 56 gr Zan pellets with the same setting and the zero at 50 yards was almost the same.

Then it started raining so I left and went back the next day.

While I was home, I made 10 tunes, five on either side of the Zan pellet tune. Day 2, I shot the Hybrids from about 930fps to 980 fps, keeping the reg at 147 bar and just changing the tune. The middle tune of 956fps seemed to be the most accurate, so I moved to 100 yards. Strelok said it should be a 2.2 mil hold, turned out to be 2 mil on the nose, which means the BC is even better than I thought (.174 according to Strelok). The group was great laterally, there was about .8" of vertical stringing. I noticed the speed was fluctuating about 10-15 fps, so that makes sense. For grins, I shot the Zan 56gr pellets at 100 yards and it was a decent group at about 885 fps (I usually shoot these at 865 fps for EFT). However, it was 3.2 mil of drop at 100 yards. I also shot the Javelins and Zan slugs at 100 yards. The Zans gave me a 5 inch group and the Javelins could barely stay on the 8.5"x11" target.

So I have 64 Hybrid slugs left to shoot in an NRL22 match this Sunday and I ordered 500 from RMR. Once I get more slugs, I will fine tune the velocity for group size, then fine tune the regulator for the tune. I've noticed that this gun doesn't like to shoot with more reg pressure than necessary, so once I get a final tune I'll turn down the reg and slowly increase it until it shoots the desired velocity.

Here is a photo of the first mag of the Hybrids at 930ish fps. The first 3 on the left were probably leading in the barrel. The 5 on the right got my attention and the groups tightened up when I found the correct velocity. The range was a mud pit, so I didn't take any photos of the 100 yard groups or the good 50 yard groups on day 2, but they were pretty decent. Once I get some final tuning done I'll post some groups.

20240512_142521.jpg

Reactions: Ranchibi
I'm finally getting slugs sorted out for my Delta Wolf. This is the .30 long barrel (27"?) and I've been shooting the Zan 56 gr pellets for a while with success. I decided to use this gun for NRL22 until I can get a better air gun for this application, so it's time to figure out slugs.

I assumed that the Zan 49 gr slugs would work as good as the pellets, so I bought some of those. I also decided to try the Patriot Javelin Gen 2 .301 in 52 grs. And I figured I would throw in a box of FX Hybrids in 44.5 grs just for giggles.

Initial testing at 50 yards, I started with a reg pressure of 120 bar using the same tune as the ZAN pellets. The Zan slugs came in pretty slow, so I bumped up the reg until I got to 150 bar with a fps of around 920. Accuracy wasn't very good at any speed from 850 to 920 fps, so I switched to the Javelins. 1 mag later, I thought about throwing this $20 tube of junk away but I just put it back in the bag. So now I'm convinced that this gun doesn't like slugs, but I threw in a mag of the FX Hybrids to see how bad they could be. Huh. Decent little group at about 930 fps. Then I shot some of the 56 gr Zan pellets with the same setting and the zero at 50 yards was almost the same.

While I was home, I made 10 tunes, five on either side of the Zan pellet tune. Day 2, I shot the Hybrids from about 930fps to 980 fps, keeping the reg at 147 bar and just changing the tune. The middle tune of 956fps seemed to be the most accurate, so I moved to 100 yards. Strelok said it should be a 2.2 mil hold, turned out to be 2 mil on the nose, which means the BC is even better than I thought (.174 according to Strelok). The group was great laterally, there was about .8" of vertical stringing. I noticed the speed was fluctuating about 10-15 fps, so that makes sense. For grins, I shot the Zan 56gr pellets at 100 yards and it was a decent group at about 885 fps (I usually shoot these at 865 fps for EFT). However, it was 3.2 mil of drop at 100 yards. I also shot the Javelins and Zan slugs at 100 yards. The Zans gave me a 5 inch group and the Javelins could barely stay on the 8.5"x11" target.

So I have 64 Hybrid slugs left to shoot in an NRL22 match this Sunday and I ordered 500 from RMR. Once I get more slugs, I will fine tune the velocity for group size, then fine tune the regulator for the tune. I've noticed that this gun doesn't like to shoot with more reg pressure than necessary, so once I get a final tune I'll turn down the reg and slowly increase it until it shoots the desired velocity.

Here is a photo of the first mag of the Hybrids at 930ish fps. The first 3 on the left were probably leading in the barrel. The 5 on the right got my attention and the groups tightened up when I found the correct velocity. The range was a mud pit, so I didn't take any photos of the 100 yard groups or the good 50 yard groups on day 2, but they were pretty decent. Once I get some final tuning done I'll post some groups.

View attachment 464476
28" i believe and they are killer accurate.

View attachment 464476
I just went threw a tuning stage with my m3 in 30cal with javlins.. My gun absolutely hated them . even with the heavy liner I could not make a group to save my life.. So maybe they work good in .22 only. but from my experience javlin slugs ate trash

Reactions: scotton
I just went threw a tuning stage with my m3 in 30cal with javlins.. My gun absolutely hated them . even with the heavy liner I could not make a group to save my life.. So maybe they work good in .22 only. but from my experience javlin slugs ate trash
I tried javelins in .22 and .25 both didnt perform. I found H&N in .22 and .25 to be the best in my three FX rifles. Zan, JSB and NSA slugs all under performed in my rifles.

Reactions: TonyP
Hopefully the FX Hybrids (or RMR SLAP) are as accurate as pellets in the DW. With the new 50.5 grain AEAs coming in with a BC of approx, 0.07, they are not as good as those slugs, but not that far off from the 0.105 BC. If accuracy is equivalent, it's a no brainer. But if the pellets are more accurate you've got a tough decision to make... My .30 Delta Wolf has a slow twist 1:30 barrel, so it's a pellet gun and shoots the AEA 50.5 grain very well.

So far they are about as accurate as the Zan 56gr pellets and are much flatter. According to Strelok, the BC for the Hybrids is .174 and the pellets are .05, so that's a pretty big gap. It looks like the RMR SLAPs will be arriving tomorrow so I can do some more testing and tuning before Sunday's match.
Sure... Ask Derrick to shoot it next to his FX Outdoors True Chrono. If its higher than 0.110 I'll buy you a beer... And the new AEA 50.5 grain are an ACTUAL 0.070 approx. The ZAN 56 grain weren't good in my DW...

From RMR web site:
RMR has been making some of the best bullets money can buy for several years now. We’ve always focused on the best possible products at reasonable prices for competition and hunting as our best way to enter a market. That’s what these are. These are the best light weight slug on the market but at a price that makes sense for practice, competition, and hunting. SLAP stands for “SLug And Pellet.” I’ve named them the SLAP because when they hit an animal there is an audible pop or slap. They are capable of some amazing accuracy. The hollow point cavity is massive and is responsible for an insane amount of expansion. These will shoot well from barrels with 1:24″-1:18″ twist. BC is .105.

H.A.M web site:
Each Hybrid Slug weigh just 44.5 Grains. The company explains that the deeply hollowed-out core allows them to have the length and shape of a slug weighing more than 65 grains. The result is a high Ballistic Coefficient of 0.102, FX tells HAM.

I'd say 0.174 is some wishful thinking... ;)

Reactions: ZAN
All I know is that I zero at 50 yards and get a 2 mil drop at 100 yards. Strelok tells me that this equals a BC of .174 at 956 fps. If you want to argue with the numbers or yell at Strelok, knock yourself out. I won't be joining you for the argument because I don't care what the numbers are. The only numbers that matter to me are 2 mil at 100 yards vs 3.2 mils at 100 yards.

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
So far they are about as accurate as the Zan 56gr pellets and are much flatter. According to Strelok, the BC for the Hybrids is .174 and the pellets are .05, so that's a pretty big gap. It looks like the RMR SLAPs will be arriving tomorrow so I can do some more testing and tuning before Sunday's match.
Are you talking about the FX Hybrid 44.5 gr. slugs? If so my strelok says they have a BC of .102.

Reactions: Centercut
Are you talking about the FX Hybrid 44.5 gr. slugs? If so my strelok says they have a BC of .102.
Mine says the same thing, but when I punch in my actual drop at 100 yards I tell it to recalculate the BC based on the measured drop and it gives me .174. I'm not saying that the slugs have a BC of .174, I'm saying that Strelok thinks they have a BC of .174 to make the holdovers line up in the app. As long as the holdovers are correct, I don't really care what the BC says. Same with scope height on an FT rifle. If I measure the scope height as 2 inches, but to get the 10 yard hold over to line up I have to change it to 2.25 inches, then as far as I'm concerned the scope height is 2.25 inches.